CC final attendance

9 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

If a combined 20,000 extra Saints and neutral fans attended compared to last year, we get 70,000

Only if those 5000 Catalans turn up as well ? 

If St Helens bring 20K, its more like 65K

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/07/2019 at 22:41, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

When you have around 20,000 seats going unsold, how are the tickets too cheap?

On 02/08/2019 at 19:46, Manx RL said:

Train ticket included?

14 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

70k+

And sorry to be a pedant but it's lower tier 34,303, middle tier 16,532 and top tier 39,165. 

So I’m not a million miles out, 2 lower tiers 50,000 or 50,835 to be exact! But total sold close to what said

10 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Interesting thought, PW71.  Personally, if I was in Rimmer's position and the crowd was a mere 65k, I would demand a bond from Saints next year!

It’s the Warrington end still short of sales

I think 70k would be good. No doubt Ralf and Co would have put the cue on the rack as soon as saints and Wire made it to the final. 

For me a massive issue is the time of year. 

1. Rail issues every year 

2. Bank Holiday in London is more expensive for hotels and travel. 

3. Its in the summer holidays. (I missed the last saints appearence in 08 as I was in mallorca, my brother will miss this year due to an overseas holiday)

4. It's to close to the grand final. 

5. it clashes with both creamfields festival that is held in Warrington and attracts 70k per day and Leeds Festival that also attracts 70k ish per day (again I have like others picked this festival over arranged cup final trips) 

6. Another issue is that the semis are to close to the final. We have an 8 week gap between the quarters and semis but then give ourselves 4 weeks from the semis to the final. Bonkers. 

7. Unlike May August is out of term time at school so the potential to possibly sell it as a school trip is out of the question. 

Personally I think there's nothing wrong with cup games at the beginning of the season. Hopefully the change to July will improve things. 

1 hour ago, kev p said:

Majority of supporters are once a year merchants (maybe 2 if grand final included), however rfl should be pushing the event from day on. Discounted tickets early not late. 

My idea would be to offer any seat in the stadium for £25-30 (ish) for 2 months after each final and have a countdown marketing campaign for them 2 months. Then after that no deals under any circumstances. Reward early buyers. 

8 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

I think 70k would be good. No doubt Ralf and Co would have put the cue on the rack as soon as saints and Wire made it to the final. 

3. Its in the summer holidays. (I missed the last saints appearence in 08 as I was in mallorca, my brother will miss this year due to an overseas holiday)

5. it clashes with both creamfields festival that is held in Warrington and attracts 70k per day and Leeds Festival that also attracts 70k ish per day (again I have like others picked this festival over arranged cup final trips) 

6. Another issue is that the semis are to close to the final. We have an 8 week gap between the quarters and semis but then give ourselves 4 weeks from the semis to the final. Bonkers. 

7. Unlike May August is out of term time at school so the potential to possibly sell it as a school trip is out of the question. 

Personally I think there's nothing wrong with cup games at the beginning of the season. Hopefully the change to July will improve things. 

You’ve hit the nail on the hard there. August bank holiday is the worst time to have the final.

Anything below 70K is a failure IMO. Will be interesting to see what happens with the 1895 Cup, you’d expect to see more people coming into the ground at the end of the CC final

July next year will be better but I get the impression that move wasn’t actually RFL driven, I think it was Wembley led due to the football? Hopefully it’s a roaring success and we stay earlier. Bank Holiday isn’t ideal at all (altho I will be attending!)

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

18 hours ago, fighting irish said:

If you can't afford to do it you can't, but we've got 100 odd years of not even trying to bring in new customers.

How much have you spent in your lifetime on Rugby League?

I must have spent hundreds, possibly thousands of pounds.

If it costs us £100 to get a new customer and he spends £500 in his lifetime, that's a profit. If he also involves his family you get another £500 for each additional one of them.

indeed I have spent I would guess tens of thousands following the game .

the fact is though I had to have the money to spend as I would certainly not have gone into debt for it and I would not expect the RFL to go into debt in the hope that in 20 years time they may get there money back.

the RFL has precious little money these days and personally I would rather spend it on getting more kids into the game than a couple of months of posters in London tube stations 

1 hour ago, paul hicks said:

indeed I have spent I would guess tens of thousands following the game .

the fact is though I had to have the money to spend as I would certainly not have gone into debt for it and I would not expect the RFL to go into debt in the hope that in 20 years time they may get there money back.

the RFL has precious little money these days and personally I would rather spend it on getting more kids into the game than a couple of months of posters in London tube stations 

Ok

On 10/08/2019 at 02:11, saintspete83 said:

All good points. On 6, last year we had a quite ridiculous 20 days between the semi finals and the final, leaving no time whatsoever for Catalans to mobilise their fans.

This year they have at least given people an extra week, but it still wouldn't be enough for an overseas team to sort out a big following.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

43 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

All good points. On 6, last year we had a quite ridiculous 20 days between the semi finals and the final, leaving no time whatsoever for Catalans to mobilise their fans.

This year they have at least given people an extra week, but it still wouldn't be enough for an overseas team to sort out a big following.

Also last year the perpignan based UTC RU side had a sold out promotion game, add to that the point that that period of the year a huge majority of French go on holiday. All these factors plus the time of 3 weeks catalans following was pretty good. 

On 10/08/2019 at 01:11, saintspete83 said:

so the same excuses as always . mind you it did not stop the 2015 final getting 80,000 there did it. or indeed the 76,000 in 2016

2 hours ago, paul hicks said:

so the same excuses as always . mind you it did not stop the 2015 final getting 80,000 there did it. or indeed the 76,000 in 2016

Did they actually get those numbers ,I believe the whole of the club wembley seats were included even though they were sparsely occupied. That changed a couple of seasons ago when they are not all counted only the ones actually sold.

3 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Did they actually get those numbers ,I believe the whole of the club wembley seats were included even though they were sparsely occupied. That changed a couple of seasons ago when they are not all counted only the ones actually sold.

those are the figures in the records so you can only take them as the attendances for those games . 

8 minutes ago, leaguefan13 said:

As someone who lives and breaths RL, I have hardly seen any promotion for this year’s final up to now. I always attend England games, so would have thought I may have received a phone call/letter or even email about the game, but no nothing. 

Have you recently opted in to receive marketing and promotions from the RFL? 

GDPR rules have played havoc with many organizations that relied on customer lists without explicit opting in to receiving marketing communications.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

How many years are the rl contracted to playing At Wembley? Wembley does not have the wow factor now. If the game needs to be played in London there are 3 60k stadiums, 4 if you include twickenham. The spurs ground at 62k would be perfect, well designed, plenty of food/drink outlets. Easy trip from motorways & public transport from central London. Also designed for safe standing, so could increase capacity to about 68k. Ticks all boxes

14 minutes ago, kev p said:

How many years are the rl contracted to playing At Wembley? Wembley does not have the wow factor now. If the game needs to be played in London there are 3 60k stadiums, 4 if you include twickenham. The spurs ground at 62k would be perfect, well designed, plenty of food/drink outlets. Easy trip from motorways & public transport from central London. Also designed for safe standing, so could increase capacity to about 68k. Ticks all boxes

Tearing down the old Wembley was a mammoth blunder, not just from a sporting perspective (where it was an iconic destination for Cup finals). When you see those images of Freddie Mercury on stage at Live Aid...think of the musicians today who would have had goosebumps playing on the same stage. Looking out at the crowd thinking “I’ve seen this image before.” They’d have been pinching themselves...Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, Adele, Beyoncé..you name it.

That soulless bowl they’ve built does nothing for anyone, not sportsmen, not musicians. It’s not Wembley. Wembley was bulldozed. The only thing that remains is the address.

Sorry, but the old Wembley was an outdated stadium & needed replacing. Freddie Mercury in the new one would be great also, anywhere! Unfortunately no Freddie! I went to champions league final at athletico Madrid’s ground. Now that is soulless! 

1 hour ago, kev p said:

All the boxes except the one marked ‘National Stadium’.

On 10/08/2019 at 10:31, saintspete83 said:

My idea would be to offer any seat in the stadium for £25-30 (ish) for 2 months after each final and have a countdown marketing campaign for them 2 months. Then after that no deals under any circumstances. Reward early buyers. 

At Bluesfest in Australia, if you buy tickets for next year’s event while at this year’s event, or I think for the first couple of weeks after this year’s event, then you get next year’s at a vastly reduced cost. It definitely works if the saving is worth it. The price then goes up incrementally as the year progresses - if you leave it to the last minute you pay maximum price 

Archived