Could there be a North American RL League?.

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Easily solved if someone can put together a solid plan and present it to investors who understand that in North America we have a model whereby pro sports are a profitable investment as shown by the steady rise in TV rights, sponsorship rights and franchise values here.  With the right plan, a transatlantic RL competition which follows that business model would be a ground floor opportunity for them with huge upside potential.

" The right plan " ? , You missed out the several billion dollars needed as well 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Who said anything about them needing to get promoted?  I have a whole separate transatlantic league in mind, set up and run like major North American pro leagues in every respect so it can position itself to get the sort of investment and TV and sponsorship contracts needed to make it viable.

Yes we know 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

" The right plan " ? , You missed out the several billion dollars needed as well 

Yes the right plan, one which could attract the several million dollars needed from the sort of investors who could afford to make up initial losses as the new league grows towards stability and profitability, and also interest broadcasters and sponsors in paying for the relevant rights.

5 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

These threads are always the same - dream big, ignore reality, employ confirmation bias to ignore naysayers. Repeat next week.

This is true. Some don’t realise how competitive the American sporting landscape is. I mean even if the aim is just to capture a small piece of the pie, it’s still going to be tough

2 hours ago, SuperMario said:

These threads are always the same - dream big, ignore reality, employ confirmation bias to ignore naysayers. Repeat next week.

Nothing wrong with having a dream but the mechanics are the problem.  If the US market is the lock...a successful development in Canada is the key...pro hockey has shown this to be the case...it should act as the template.

This is actually happening but we are a long, long way off.  Support for TWP must be encouraged and expanded....Ottawa must be welcomed with open arms.  It is happening but still in its infancy...there is a risk of failure but I think how Toronto plays out will give a good indication if it is actually viable.  I think it is but we need support and co operation.

6 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Nothing wrong with having a dream but the mechanics are the problem.  If the US market is the lock...a successful development in Canada is the key...pro hockey has shown this to be the case...it should act as the template.

This is actually happening but we are a long, long way off.  Support for TWP must be encouraged and expanded....Ottawa must be welcomed with open arms.  It is happening but still in its infancy....there is a risk of failure but I think how Toronto plays out will give a good indication if it is actually viable.  I think it is but we need support and co operation.

And, I consider that to be greater at this moment than at any other time since Toronto's birth, I say that not because of any wrong doings on the part of TWP.

I know you like to think of TWP as the best thing that could happen to RL in this country but I am not to sure that the SL bosses see it that way, we have got to last couple of months of the season and quite rightly Toronto are favourites for promotion, but I am yet to read, see or hear anything positive or welcoming in their direction eminating from the SL either collectively as a body or individually from any club, or indeed Elstone the guy who has been hired to promote and make SL a better funtioning buisness.

Alternatively, there has been quite a few "how is this going to work" or "will that fit" and "it is an additional cost to find" now I know that RL in this country is best worked on knee jerk reactions, but I cannot believe that Toronto's entry into SL has not already been discussed at length by the hierarchy and member clubs of SL, their fit in that division brings into play many more questions and implications than for any other club that has previously been accepted. 

FWIW, I think they will be granted promotion this season, but as a 'Guest' club, their impact of how they fit in the running of the competition will be under the microscope, being watched, analysed and scrutinised for deliberation at the end of the 2020 season, but it would not surprise me at all if promotion was refused for next season.

27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And, I consider that to be greater at this moment than at any other time since Toronto's birth, I say that not because of any wrong doings on the part of TWP.

I know you like to think of TWP as the best thing that could happen to RL in this country but I am not to sure that the SL bosses see it that way, we have got to last couple of months of the season and quite rightly Toronto are favourites for promotion, but I am yet to read, see or hear anything positive or welcoming in their direction eminating from the SL either collectively as a body or individually from any club, or indeed Elstone the guy who has been hired to promote and make SL a better funtioning buisness.

Alternatively, there has been quite a few "how is this going to work" or "will that fit" and "it is an additional cost to find" now I know that RL in this country is best worked on knee jerk reactions, but I cannot believe that Toronto's entry into SL has not already been discussed at length by the hierarchy and member clubs of SL, their fit in that division brings into play many more questions and implications than for any other club that has previously been accepted. 

FWIW, I think they will be granted promotion this season, but as a 'Guest' club, their impact of how they fit in the running of the competition will be under the microscope, being watched, analysed and scrutinised for deliberation at the end of the 2020 season, but it would not surprise me at all if promotion was refused for next season.

I think this is a pretty fair post and I agree with your assessment.  I believe I have said it multiple times in the past that the biggest danger to TWP is the other clubs closing up the draw bridge.  I don't think anyone expected this club to be working four years after being incorporated, nobody really took it seriously and it has somehow managed to work and now the powers that be don't really have a plan.

Twas ever thus - from childhoods hour, I've seen my fondest hopes decay, I never loved a tree or flower but 'twas the first to fade away.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Firstly, I think that Toronto has not yet won the Championship and I won't put the cart before the horse...there are some good clubs out there who have loaded up for the playoffs...I take nothing for granted.

Secondly, to deny entry to Toronto if they do win would be sheer folly...the rubber will hit the road on this one for the SL owners at that point in time...some knowing posters think they will be denied entry...interesting times indeed.

Thirdly, we are already being overly analyzed in every aspect which is just fine.  Lets just put this in perspective...very few felt Toronto would last more than one year of operation....then the same folks said we would fold after 2 years...then the very same folk said we would fold after three years...then the very same folks said we would fold after ___ years.   You can just put in any old number but it doesn't make it so.

If Toronto win the Championship and are subsequently refused SL entry it will be noted historically as a real backwards step for the game currently and a death gong on the bell which tolls for the entire sport.  It will be decision time...the rubber is going to hit the road on this one.....

On 11/08/2019 at 13:38, TheConductor said:

Canada is like Australia and Ireland and have too many sporting codes.

They can only have too many if they have more than say ........ Rugby League !

If they haven't got TGG they can never have enough.

NEXT!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 11/08/2019 at 09:14, SuperMario said:

Canadians play ice hockey though. Canadians invented ice hockey. Ice hockey has been in Canada for as long as any form of rugby has been in England. Lets see how RL develops over the next 100 years in Canada then use Ice Hockey as the 'template' to grow the game in the USA. 

Ice Hockey was invented in Scotland.

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

It wouldn’t be historical,simply because it wouldn’t be the first time.

Really?...When was the last time a TransAtlantic RL team based in NA but combined into the English league cancelled.  Must have missed that one.

You simply have to do better SL17.

4 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

I see that (ice) hockey was invented in Canada in the same way that baseball was invented in the United States.

Interesting article, that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I see that (ice) hockey was invented in Canada in the same way that baseball was invented in the United States.

Interesting article, that.

I recall one summer playing rounders (early 90s so was about 12) and my friend’s cousins from the US were over here on holiday. The younger of the two said something like, “I didn’t know you played baseball”...to which somebody said ”this is rounders”. I will never cease to be amazed that a kids game from here caught on over there for adults. 

29 minutes ago, DC77 said:

I will never cease to be amazed that a kids game from here caught on over there for adults. 

All sports are childish, it's why they're fun.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived