Do the NRL want a Club from NZ their Competition?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

NZ is a tiny market so the Warriors winning the competition provides no commercial value to the NRL

I think that’s been comprehensively disproved a number of times on here previously. 

There is a group of clubs in the NRL that find it hard to have sustained periods of success because of the structure of the competition and the inherent biases of the people in power that run the competition, and the Warriors are one of those clubs, but pretty much every club that isn't from one of the big city markets (i.e. Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne) are part of that group.

The Warriors are doing it particularly tough at the moment, but to suggest that their situation is a particularly remarkable one, or that they alone are a target because they are from NZ is a load of ######.

The idea that refs give the Warriors a bad run because the NRL doesn't want them in the comp is absurd. Every sport has similar themes regarding unconscious refereeing favouritism. We all know decisions usually go the way of respected high profile glamour players, consistent disciplined teams, and respected captains of stature within the game who stay composed and speak respectfully. For most of their history, the Warriors haven't had those elements together - so unfortunately for them, they often don't get the rub of the green. I can understand it being frustrating for their supporters, but it's not a conspiracy.

1 hour ago, philipw said:

Due to the increased TV & commercial revenue etc brought in from having a NZ team in the comp. If you want more info, search for the posts

Sure there’s stream of revenue from having the Warriors in but do you think there’ll be an increase if the warriors win? I’m not debating the current deal. I just think it can’t get better 

12 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

NZ is a tiny market so the Warriors winning the competition provides no commercial value to the NRL

They are the most popular rugby club in NZ’s largest city and have the highest salary cap of any club team, of any sport, in New Zealand.

They bring in good money for the Nrl.

13 minutes ago, Copa said:

They are the most popular rugby club in NZ’s largest city and have the highest salary cap of any club team, of any sport, in New Zealand.

Oh god I fear you've now opened Pandoras box with YK!

I totally agree btw.

I doubt there is any sort of conspiracy, that is drawing a long bow IMO.

They have been really badly run for many years.

When my team plays them I have little or no interest in watching the game at all to be honest.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

14 minutes ago, Copa said:

How much do they bring in?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Let's entertain the conspiracy theory and say the NRL don't want the Warriors in the competition.

Therefore we are assuming that they are trying to get rid of them through dodgy refereeing.  I can see just a couple of tiny little flaws with that theory.

1. It would mean that all of the referees in the competition have been induced to participate in a huge conspiracy and have agreed to cheat against the Warriors... that's a hell of a thing!

2. And if the above were true, it is a strange tactic to get rid of a team from a league that doesn't have any relegation.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Copa said:

Warriors are one team representing the whole of NZ whereas there are 5 NZ union teams. Not really an accurate comparison. Combine those 5 teams then compare them. When you do combine them, you get the All Blacks. And at this stage, it’s not really a contest anymore 

Archived