Top 5 or league leaders as Champions?

The race for the top 5 has suddenly become very interesting. If Saints had already been confirmed as champions, there would be a lot of meaningless games coming up. As it is, with the relegation issue to be decided as well, pretty much every game has a lot standing on it. What would people prefer?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Top 5 for me. I like the fact that playoffs require you to be consistent enough to qualify while also having to be able to do it when all the pressure is on. Top 4 I dont think rewarded the top team enough, but Top 5 I'm a fan of.

I agree. And it’s great that a Saints fan agrees as well.

League leaders. By all means have a mini knock out comp but the best overall team should always be champions IMHO.

Some years the play-offs are entirely predictable and 'resting' players as some have whined about has come about due to current system.

Top 5. League leaders is a decent achievement but giving it the title of champions doesn't really reflect our history as a sport - moreover winning the Grand Final shows if a team can display champion qualities when everything is on the line. As Cas showed a couple of years ago, they didn't have the qualities they needed to have.

In theory, I would prefer the league leaders to be the champions. But without having anything else to play for below (like European competition qualification as in football or rugby union) it doesn't really work.

For that reason, it's probably best to stick with the play offs. And the top 5 rewards a higher placed finish incrementally.

I don't follow closely the club game, so I've just been reading upon on the various systems that they've used over the years.

It says that they used a Top 5 system from 1998-2001, but then switched to a Top 6. Why did they do away with the Top 5 playoff last time?

Have they ever done a Top 4 but with 1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd, home and away - like the football playoffs? That gives two "semi-finals" 1st and 2nd leg, and then a Grand Final.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_five_play-offs

Are they planning to call the matches how they are referred to on Wikipedia? - Qualification Final, Elimination Final, Major Semi Final, Minor Semi Final, etc.

I guess no system is completely perfect. I do like the Grand Final, so I wouldn't want to see that disappear.

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

I believe it should be the team that finishes top, they have proved themselves over all games in different conditions not 2 or 3 games at the seaons end?

Totally agree, top team champions, then play offs for the Premiership as it used to be.

3 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Totally agree, top team champions, then play offs for the Premiership as it used to be.

Sorry, but playoffs which don't crown a champion is a stupid idea.  Crowning a champion is the only reason to have playoffs.

This comes around most years and I make the same point each year. Playoffs all the way, the grand final is the biggest event in the RL calendar and it would be a shame to get rid.

If there were strong enough leagues in other countries (other than Oz) resulting in a ‘european’ cup I’d be all for league leaders as champions because most teams would be battling for the title, a place in Europe or relegation. 

The leaders being crowned champions in the Premier League works because you have teams fighting relegation, teams who know they can’t get in to the Champions League so aim for Europa, teams who know they won’t win the title so can target Champions League....in the end there’s only a handful of clubs who end up mid table obscurity. In RL it’s not the same, if St Helens were already crowned champs it would be so boring for the rest of the season other than the relegation battle.

13 minutes ago, Charlie RL said:

What is the history if any of  GF winners from positions 3 to 5?

I was looking at that the other day, so I've just checked again. If I'm not mistaken, it's:

2005 Bradford from 3rd place

2011 Leeds from 5th place

2012 Leeds again from 5th place

2013 Wigan from 4th place

Play offs work in rl. League leaders would only make sense if all teams had the same programme, everyone home & away. As someone said earlier if league leaders were champions the season would be pretty much over. No champions league or europa league places to play for. In other seasons relegation could be decided by now also. So a month of meaningless matches. 70k at old Trafford works. 

Top 5

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

2 hours ago, M j M said:

Top 5. League leaders is a decent achievement but giving it the title of champions doesn't really reflect our history as a sport - moreover winning the Grand Final shows if a team can display champion qualities when everything is on the line. As Cas showed a couple of years ago, they didn't have the qualities they needed to have.

Spot the Leeds fan ?

You simply cannot beat the all-or-nothing emotional rollercoaster that is 80 minutes of everything on the line knock out rugby. As much as I hated the lows of repeat losses to Leeds, the GF has also given me some of my best memories of live RL. When you see the teams come out at Old Trafford it feels like RL was just made for an event like that. With the Challenge Cup you get a sense of the sport's history but the GF is pure sporting theatre. Unless you have the main prize on the line for that I don't think it could ever be the same.

However I do think the way we treat the regular season borders on farcical at times. Whether it's the god-awful 'trophy', the prize money, the way even the RL media treat the achievement or the dismissive attitude of fans. At times it makes you wonder why anyone bothers going to any games until September.

Archived