Top 5 or league leaders as Champions?

42 minutes ago, superten said:

old system was league winners at end of regular season were champions . The top 8 clubs then qualified for a separate end of season cup comp called the premiership trophy . 1st v 8th 2nd v 7th 3rd v 6th 4th v5th . Semis were highest two quarters winners at home against lowest two . it was pulling in 40,000 plus gates at Old Trafford in mid 90s  

That stupid idea replaced using playoffs to crown the champion, which is the only reason have them.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

That stupid idea replaced using playoffs to crown the champion, which is the only reason have them.

I don't think you understand the concept the premierships was just an end of season cup comp for the best 8 teams in the league . Nothing to do with who was champions .

Chief Crazy Eagle

Play-offs, either top 4 or top 5, because they maintain interest right to the end of the season. The only thing I don't like is the golden point, and come to that, penalty shoot-outs in soccer to decide promotion. I prefer the way GB won the RL World Cup in '72, i.e. in the event of scores being level after full time or extra time, the highest placed club from the league fixtures wins the prize. That way Toronto would already be in Super League.

Archived