After Toronto and Toulouse, which expansion clubs would you like to see in Super League?

After Toronto and Toulouse, which expansion clubs would you like to see in Super League?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. After Toronto and Toulouse, which expansion clubs would you like to see in Super League

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/20 at 23:34

1 minute ago, Manfred Mann said:

My list was not based on internet chatter, but on actually existing and planned clubs, plus two other clubs proposed by a very successful innovating entrepreneur in our game.

The Paris team could work, in my opinion, after there was already an established level of participation in Super League, with television coverage in France, by other French clubs -- namely Catalans, Toulouse and Avignon. Last time  Paris was the only French team in Super League. Also the RFL would have to scrutinise the Paris management team, which was poor last time. Where they would play, on what days, and who the principal TV partners would be, are technical questions which is for the management team to work out, and are not obstacles. The French players would initially come from the south of France, mixed with NRL imports as all other Super League teams are today. As the team gets established, with a junior system in place, over time recruits can be drawn from the Paris region. 

If three French teams are already in Super League, with French TV coverage, then the game can attract supporters from the Paris region. Rugby Union now has two professional teams from the Paris region, even though rugby union is primarily based in the south. For big matches against Toulouse, one of the Paris clubs has often drawn 80,000 spectators in Paris. Why can't rugby league achieve at least a quarter of that level of success and thereby be successful?

So ... Paris needs there to be three other French clubs in Super League before it can work?

Are these two Union sides new?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, superten said:

Why no Theo Fages playing for Saints with out Catalan ? French players have been coming across the channel long before super league to play for English clubs . Patrick Entat played for Leeds before super league , David Fraisse played for Sheffield before super league.

You misunderstood my argument. I didn't say that Theo Fages would not play for St Helens without Catalans being in Super League. I said if one adopted the fatalist "philosophy" of life, then Theo Fages would not have tried his luck in England (and there would be no Catalans in Super League nor a Toronto Wolfpack on the verge of entry).

3 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

My list was not based on internet chatter, but on actually existing and planned clubs, plus two other clubs proposed by a very successful innovating entrepreneur in our game.

The Paris team could work, in my opinion, after there was already an established level of participation in Super League, with television coverage in France, by other French clubs -- namely Catalans, Toulouse and Avignon. Last time  Paris was the only French team in Super League. Also the RFL would have to scrutinise the Paris management team, which was poor last time. Where they would play, on what days, and who the principal TV partners would be, are technical questions which is for the management team to work out, and are not obstacles. The French players would initially come from the south of France, mixed with NRL imports as all other Super League teams are today. As the team gets established, with a junior system in place, over time recruits can be drawn from the Paris region.

The part which I bolded is a major obstacle, do any of us think the RFL is capable of doing that?

What Rugby league should be doing is shouting about some of our struggling clubs  great history trying to attract new investors into investing in a club like Oldham , Swinton , Halifax ect . Clubs with proud tradition , clubs who have won just about every comp , who have produced Great Britain internationals . 

Chief Crazy Eagle

8 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Paris is not not renowned for it's love of sport. Compared to other major cities, Paris has always struggled to support any form of football.

So how come rugby union has established itself successfully in Paris?

7 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

So how come rugby union has established itself successfully in Paris?

It depends on how you define success. Would a Paris based FFR team be allowed to fail? I very much doubt it.

It has one team in a city with around 11 million people. Paris has always managed to support one team.

Why don't PSG play at the Stade de France?

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

8 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

You misunderstood my argument. I didn't say that Theo Fages would not play for St Helens without Catalans being in Super League. I said if one adopted the fatalist "philosophy" of life, then Theo Fages would not have tried his luck in England (and there would be no Catalans in Super League nor a Toronto Wolfpack on the verge of entry).

why wouldn't have Theo Fages  tried his luck over here like I said plenty of other French players have in the past .

Chief Crazy Eagle

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So ... Paris needs there to be three other French clubs in Super League before it can work?

Are these two Union sides new?

Yes. Rugby league needs to show that it has several professional clubs already in Super League before it tries to establish a team in Paris.

Rugby Union's Stade Francais Paris was established in 1892. The other current Paris club, Racing 92, was formed in 2001.

19 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

The part which I bolded is a major obstacle, do any of us think the RFL is capable of doing that?

Don't the RFL already do that with any newly established team joining even League One and the Championship, let alone Super League?

The RFL has sent delegations to Toulouse in the past to look at its operations.

there are pro and cons for having Catalan in super league . Pro true it gets the game a little bit more publicity but has the French national team really improve since Catalan and Toulouse have been in our league answer no . Have super league crowds improved with Catalan being in the league answer no . If we took Catalan out and replaced with a club from m62 corridor most clubs average home gate would increase . We have already lost two possible 20,000 plus gates game from super league and if Hull Kr were to get relegated that would be another one gone. Sponsor want to see full stadia so does Tv yet RL doesn't seem to realise this.  

Chief Crazy Eagle

Just now, superten said:

there are pro and cons for having Catalan in super league . Pro true it gets the game a little bit more publicity but has the French national team really improve since Catalan and Toulouse have been in our league answer no . Have super league crowds improved with Catalan being in the league answer no . If we took Catalan out and replaced with a club from m62 corridor most clubs average home gate would increase . We have already lost two possible 20,000 plus gates game from super league and if Hull Kr were to get relegated that would be another one gone. Sponsor want to see full stadia so does Tv yet RL doesn't seem to realise this.  

The M62 corridor is a dead end for growing the game, an area which no rational business man is going to invest in. Smart businessmen look to new horizons, like Toronto, which is one of the big potential growth areas for our game, along with Toulouse.

I am sorry and sad that you are so rigidly opposed to expanding the presence of our game around the world, thereby improving its popularity and financial well being. 

5 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

The M62 corridor is a dead end for growing the game, an area which no rational business man is going to invest in. Smart businessmen look to new horizons, like Toronto, which is one of the big potential growth areas for our game, along with Toulouse.

I am sorry and sad that you are so rigidly opposed to expanding the presence of our game around the world, thereby improving its popularity and financial well being. 

Not heard of the Northern Powerhouse then? 

4 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

so you would be quite happy to see the Hull derby go ? a 20k gate a headline game loosing games like this is taking the game forward is it ? Have you ever attended a Hull derby ? you wouldn't say the game is dead if you have

Chief Crazy Eagle

Just now, superten said:

so you would be quite happy to see the Hull derby go ? a 20k gate a headline game loosing games like this is taking the game forward is it ? Have you ever attended a Hull derby ? you wouldn't say the game is dead if you have

Where did I say that I wanted Hull KR relegated and thereby an end to the Hull derby? 

3 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Where did I say that I wanted Hull KR relegated and thereby an end to the Hull derby? 

You don't have to say or post anything in order to be credited with doing so, it's one of the perks of the forum.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

when I put pro and cons of Catalan I said about possibility of Hull Kr going down . Your replied implied you were quite happy to see them go down in return for an expansion club . By the way I never said I was against expansion coming from Sheffield how can I be against it . I just feel too many people are putting all there eggs into the Canadian or French basket to save our game . When the only way to save our game is to have a strong British national league . 

Chief Crazy Eagle

Oh and to return to the thread, I think the inclusion of Ottawa would be the real start of a the development of a major world league. Closer to home, I am really impressed at the progress of RL in the NE, and the steady but sure development of the Newcastle club.

56 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I always find it hard to envisage a league with huge cities like Paris, New York, Boston, etc. competing against places like Huddersfield, Hull and Salford.

I know there's already London Broncos, but even that sometimes seems odd to me to have such a major city playing a team like Castleford.

It might feel a little strange, but even the NFL, with its mostly big city teams, has the tiny town of Green Bay, Wisconsin with a franchise, up against teams from New York, Chicago and Los Angeles..

It might eventually develop in Super League, if further significant expansion takes place, that nearly half the clubs will be big cities (e.g. London, Toronto, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Boston) some will be medium sized cities (e.g Toulouse, Leeds, Newcastle, and Hull), a few others will be towns ( e.g. Wigan, St Helens,  Warrington, Castleford,), and others will be regions (e.g. Catalans, Avignon-Vaucluse)

5 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

the tiny town of Green Bay, Wisconsin

Metro Population: 320,000

They also played games in, and still offer partial season tickets to people from, Milwaukee. That has a metro population of 1.5m.

You were saying something about tiny towns?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Folks, it's not difficult... if you're not interested in a thread subject, just don't post in it.

There's no need to attempt to ridicule those who are interested in it and want to discuss the topic at hand.

There are lots of other topics to discuss on here.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Folks, it's not difficult... if you're not interested in a thread subject, just don't post in it.

There's no need to attempt to ridicule those who are interested in it and want to discuss the topic at hand.

There are lots of other topics to discuss on here.

Sorry John

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Metro Population: 320,000

They also played games in, and still offer partial season tickets to people from, Milwaukee. That has a metro population of 1.5m.

You were saying something about tiny towns?

The "city" of Green Bay has 102,000...if we are going to start measuring by the "metro" definiton then UK Rugby League is played in all the top 7 areas in the UK...with 27 million in that "metro population"...follow that through...

Under "metro" Dewsbury has a population of 2,300,000 to aim at...

Archived