Man of The Match - NEWS

jamescolin

r want to keep our M.O.M voting as it is but to tidy things up I have had words with David Longo and we are keeping things separate under the two schemes  until the end of each season .At that point the votes will be amalgamated and a MOM for the season will be selected. With the amalgamation we will be able to have a proper ceremony to celebrate the winner. I hope you are all ok with this. Out votes will still count as will our trophy but to have a total votes result with a proper place of celebrating will make it great. The naming of the MOM will be in early October with a separate scheme for the Play Offs.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Not sure I understand this at all. What is this "other scheme" you mention? 

There is an official MOM run by the club. We are outsiders. When presenting our trophy we have had great difficulty in getting a place at the ground to give to the winner. I thought by going down this road we would have a better position regarding this matter.  

45 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

There is an official MOM run by the club. We are outsiders. When presenting our trophy we have had great difficulty in getting a place at the ground to give to the winner. I thought by going down this road we would have a better position regarding this matter.  

Isn't the official man of the match decided by the sponsor? And does that somehow count towards an existing player of the season award, and if so how is it calculated? 

10 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Isn't the official man of the match decided by the sponsor? And does that somehow count towards an existing player of the season award, and if so how is it calculated? 

Don't think the mom sponsor actually picks mom anymore, just gets to 'present' the award. If you notice there aren't many controversial decisions these days, at least none as contentious as Speargate ?

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Ah - is the MOTM now voted for via the Twitter poll? That would make sense regarding the original poll on this thread

That is it. Just trying to tidy things up without disturbing our MOM. The evidence I have seen shows that we are on the same frame of mind where voting comes in. We will be able to continue as we are and the results will be combined to get the end result. Then the presentation will be attended by both voting bodies at the Rovers.

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

Sounds like it. As regards health not 100% but not bad for 85. Keep ticking over. Nice to hear from  you Chris. How are you?

11 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Ah - is the MOTM now voted for via the Twitter poll? That would make sense regarding the original post on this thread

Yes it is!!!

Im Fev and im proud

4 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Please all just carry on as before. I will sort the end result out with David Longo from the two voting polls.

Colin why do we have to put the votes from this forum with the votes from Twitter for player of year, I just don’t get this ??

Im Fev and im proud

We in the past have had nowhere to celebrate the MOM officially. It has all been done a bit here and a bit there. This is because we have no official sponsorship. I spoke to David Longo to try to overcome this problem. In the past we have just shook hands with the player or missed him altogether Our votes will still count and I will make sure they are included. There will then be only one MOM and we will be able to celebrate properly. I am not trying to upset any apple cart but it has been messy trying to organise the end bit. There is nothing in this for me and keeping the records up to date match by match is time consuming. I had the trophy which is quite large and no where to keep it. It is now in the trophy cabinet at the ground. We are now part of the official set up and I reckon that is the best path to take. If any body is very unhappy with what I have done then I will willingly let them take over but believe me the old system had difficulties that were not apparent. I volunteered to help and I am doing my best. I would not have taken this path if it had not been necessary. For instance, end of the season, where do we present our trophy? How do we arrange to see the player when we have no premises to hold the event in? How can our voters see the presentation with a place to go that is convenient for all parties and permission is granted? So sorry Mo I am not being Bxxxxy minded just trying to get a straight edge.  As I said if you want to keep the old system find a volunteer and I will pass over the books. I certainly don't want the headache we have had in the past. 

By the way if somebody wants to take over and run the system as before then to save any mess and as there are only 3 games to go I am quite happy to finish the stats and hand over the name of the winner with the details. Please let me know.

Colin I cannot just see has to why a representative or yourself cannot go to the player of season awards and present the trophy, just like the joint supporters, Pontefract supporters etc used to do. Last year it was all over before you could blink due to the club only presenting their trophies. 

Im Fev and im proud

There have been difficulties. I can only ask you to ask Steve Slater about it as I only found out about it recently.  I am sure Steve would have gone down that path if possible. If it is open then we could take it. But the only solution David Longo offered was what I have outlined.

As I understood the situation from what Steve told me it was lack of sponsorship that precluded us from using Rovers premises on an official basis. So Mo find us a sponsor and our troubles are over.

12 hours ago, jamescolin said:

We in the past have had nowhere to celebrate the MOM officially. It has all been done a bit here and a bit there. This is because we have no official sponsorship. I spoke to David Longo to try to overcome this problem. In the past we have just shook hands with the player or missed him altogether Our votes will still count and I will make sure they are included. There will then be only one MOM and we will be able to celebrate properly. I am not trying to upset any apple cart but it has been messy trying to organise the end bit. There is nothing in this for me and keeping the records up to date match by match is time consuming. I had the trophy which is quite large and no where to keep it. It is now in the trophy cabinet at the ground. We are now part of the official set up and I reckon that is the best path to take. If any body is very unhappy with what I have done then I will willingly let them take over but believe me the old system had difficulties that were not apparent. I volunteered to help and I am doing my best. I would not have taken this path if it had not been necessary. For instance, end of the season, where do we present our trophy? How do we arrange to see the player when we have no premises to hold the event in? How can our voters see the presentation with a place to go that is convenient for all parties and permission is granted? So sorry Mo I am not being Bxxxxy minded just trying to get a straight edge.  As I said if you want to keep the old system find a volunteer and I will pass over the books. I certainly don't want the headache we have had in the past. 

Not true James - The MOM on the forum was originally setup and had a trophy - it was the Tony Kenney Memorial Trophy, but was put to the way side for no reasons given. 

I'm well thanks Colin, glad you are doing well! look after yourself.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

20 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Not true James - The MOM on the forum was originally setup and had a trophy - it was the Tony Kenney Memorial Trophy, but was put to the way side for no reasons given. 

I'm well thanks Colin, glad you are doing well! look after yourself.

As previously stated lack of sponsorship. That is what I have been told. All the best. Colin.

4 hours ago, jamescolin said:

As I understood the situation from what Steve told me it was lack of sponsorship that precluded us from using Rovers premises on an official basis. So Mo find us a sponsor and our troubles are over.

Why would you need premises if the player of the year awards are being held in the clubhouse, cannot you just ask for 5 minutes out of their evening to present the trophy ??

Im Fev and im proud

Archived