Man of The Match - NEWS

jamescolin

5 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Colin has asked me to reply on this thread as some of the comments are causing him undue stress which are totally unwarranted. Stress, linked to high blood pressure, is one of the reasons I gave the job up, even though I am only in my late 60's and much junior to Colin.

I started running the MOM Poll in 2014 (I think), although we may have had polls before as far as I can recall no-one  ever devised a scoring system and added them up for the season. Andy Ellis was the overall winner that year, although we had no trophy. I continued to run the poll in 2015, and as I work for League Express writing match reports, mainly from Fev but also the occasional match not involving them, I asked John Drake, who runs this forum on behalf of the TotalRL group, whether they would be willing to donate a trophy, which they kindly agreed to. So the new trophy was presented to Will Sharp on the pitch after the final home game of the season. It was meant to be before the game but Jon Sharp wouldn't allow it from a professional point of view.

In 2016 Stephanie Overton ran the awards night and organised the trophy to be engraved and awarded to John Davies, but in 2017 I can't remember what entirely happened but the awards night was different and the club were doing their own presentations. The competition went to the wire and Thacks and JD were virtually tied for the lead on the final day at Batley, so I asked the RoversTV commentary team to vote for 1st, 2nd & 3rd, and their choice moved Anthony Thackeray to being the winner. Joe Crabtree presented Thacks with the trophy after the game.

Last year the guy who did the reports for League Weekly retired so I doubled up to do the reports for both rugby papers, which was very time consuming after each game in the rush to meet two deadlines. Joe Crabtree took over the League Weekly reports alongside his commentary duties for RoversTV after he left University, but had to later give this up when he took over from Ryan Sparks as Media & Marketing Executive, so the job with League Weekly went back to me. I had no spare time after each game and by the time Luke Briscoe went back to play for Leeds he had already sewn up the award. I tried several attempts to contact him with a view to getting the trophy presented on the pitch but to no avail.

I wanted to get the trophy presented to Luke at the awards night, but Joe said this would be difficult as the club now had their own MOM award and trophy, run from the poll on twitter. This was bringing in lucrative sponsorship and our award might devalue theirs? For those of you that don't know, Joe is my Grandson so I wasn't going to raise an issue with the club and let the matter drop.

At the beginning of this year I decided that I couldn't continue to run the poll so I asked for volunteers to take over from me.

COLIN WAS THE ONLY PERSON WHO VOLUNTEERED!!!!!

Sorry, I have other pressing matters at home. I'll conclude for now and add further comment later, hopefully today.

Colin took up the role with real vigour from the start and has done an excellent job so far. He also went in to talk to Davide Longo about presenting the trophy at the awards night and they reached an agreeable compromise. Fair do's to Davide, he was very gracious bearing in mind that the club award attracts sponsorship. I believe we now have the best of both worlds, the twitter poll is instantaneous which is what many people want, but it does have its drawbacks. Anyone that shows a flash of brilliance to turn the game in the dying minutes won't be included in the voting, whereas with the TotalRL poll you have nearly a week to decide and the full re-run of the game on RoversTV to help you make your mind up.

Colin is considering giving the job up at the end of the season. I hope you can all give him you support on here and ask him to reconsider, because IMO he's doing a great job.

Thank you Colin (and Davide).

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am elderly but I assure everyone that the voting is up to date and still being covered for each match. To my mind all I have to cover is that we get a mention at the presentation. To that end do you want me to contact Davide again and confirm that we are mentioned at the presentation or is there any thing else to consider? The trophy is  in the cabinet at the ground. I went down this road because  of the present circumstances as I have said previously. It is not off my back alone but the result of conversations with Steve and Davide.  I have done my best and feel that the suggested end result will be the best way forward. There was some talk with Davide about not including the play off matches in the MOM awards. I will also confirm this if needs be.  I have always tried to be there when needed. If I am not needed then I will say goodbye and thanks. Being 86 at the next season perhaps I will need some help if old age jumps in but at the moment my head is clear and my thinking straight. Cheers. PS I know people have different opinions and hold no grudge against people who do not agree with my methods.  Colin.

On 14/08/2019 at 21:52, gittinsfan said:

This just an opinion.

I think an elderly gentleman,with the best will in the world,has taken on a job which may have been too much for him.

Maybe some on here should be praising his efforts rather than criticising.

Ask Steve why he gave up the job .

I assume the list of volunteers to do the job next year is not encouragely long.

Aye some people are quick to criticise has you say, but I don’t think they were critising I believe they generally couldn’t understand the gist of the post to be honest. As to helping out, yes I would but I’ve been practically moderating this forum on my own for past two years without any offers of help, only the administrators help me these days!!!

Im Fev and im proud

8 minutes ago, Maureen T-k said:

Aye some people are quick to criticise has you say, but I don’t think they were critising I believe they generally couldn’t understand the gist of the post to be honest. As to helping out, yes I would but I’ve been practically moderating this forum on my own for past two years without any offers of help, only the administrators help me these days!!!

I don't do the MOM thing so its largely out of my zone.... but i kind of lost the gist of this thread some days back....

Adam might well have got it right and summarised the issue right enough.....

Now, im off to whinge on about brexit again....

Looking at the present position and all the comments all I can say is that when I volunteered to help I was under the impression I would just be doing the stats for the presentation at the end of the season. All the other matters have arisen since without my knowledge of them at the outset. After talking to Steve,  I asked Davide Longo for help for as I understood it we had nowhere to do the presentation and couldn't guarantee a place or the attendance of the winning player or voters presence. Having the problem I have tried to solve it. Obviously not to everybody's satisfaction. We have had our grumbles but no real solution to the problem from anybody else. The matter is still being considered and I hope to have a satisfactory reply from the powers that be about how the October event will be scheduled. If when I receive the reply if it is not to your satisfaction then kindly take over this part of our scheme and arrange your own presentation with the cooperation of Steve if you want the trophy involved. We have from now to the beginning of October for your solution if the one I finish up with is not to your satisfaction. Let me say at that time I don't want questions about: 'Why haven't you done this, or why can't we do that'. I will do the MOM to the end of the season and if you want to arrange a presentation then I will hand over the stats and you can get on with it. That is the position and I will stick to it. Either a yes or no about which way we are going. Frankly, after volunteering to do the stats and being finished up with this if you want it you can have it. I have seen the schedule that Maureen has reproduced of the event and a lot of awards are listed. I have asked under which heading they want us and can we signify who we are and present our trophy. If the reply is rubbish in your opinion then just get on with what alternative you desire. I will not stand in your way I will just let you have the stats. End of story. I feel very much like the pig in the middle, which was not of my choosing. Colin.

The Supporters Player of the Year will be sponsored by a company on the evening. So it looks like we are in their hands if we go ahead. I will now leave it with you. Either go or not go and play it by the ear. 

15 hours ago, jamescolin said:

The Supporters Player of the Year will be sponsored by a company on the evening. So it looks like we are in their hands if we go ahead. I will now leave it with you. Either go or not go and play it by the ear. 

Well done Colin - good work.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

I have been in touch with Adam Hughes today and the twitter scoring is much the same as ours. After the last match I will give it the usual time for voting and then send our results to him for a combined score and the ultimate result for MOM. When you look at things broadly we are all Fev supporters so let's do what we can to support the club. I have told Steve I will do the voting next season but if there is any set up outside of the club then he or others can arrange things.

Just had a further reply from Davide following my questions. On presentation night we will be mentioned in the presentation but the cup wont be used.  Looking at the overall situation it seems this is the right path to go down. 

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 01:52, Adam B said:

Col stepped into the breach this season when nobody else would, and has done a fine job so far, and frankly anyone on here looking to tie him in knots or (worse still) goading/belittling him is just demonstrating what a t0sser they are.

Spot on.  They seem to think they are amusing as well.  

After running the poll for the first 5 years before Colin took over it is my perception that it's just a bit of fun which participants enjoy without taking it too seriously. Whether a trophy is presented or not at the end of the season is pretty irrelevant compared to the week to week banter we enjoy throughout the season.

8 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

After running the poll for the first 5 years before Colin took over it is my perception that it's just a bit of fun which participants enjoy without taking it too seriously. Whether a trophy is presented or not at the end of the season is pretty irrelevant compared to the week to week banter we enjoy throughout the season.

Steve,

I fall into that category, though I don't vote I find it interesting to see what other people think to see if it differs from my own view.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

5 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Agree with that, it's also a good way of tracking who has had a good season, sometimes by September we forget who played well in February, March etc. I also remember you posting about the difficulties of presenting the trophy to Luke Briscoe last year and I don't think anybody posted that it made the polls less relevant.

20 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

This. 

I don't vote because RL is a team game.

But it's just a bit of fun and gets us into a bit of performance analysis which I like.

21 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

that's the way it should always be looked at  steve I  read it avidly but often can't believe the  peoples choices and the reason they give? I don't vote cos my vote wouldn't give a true indication of the match WHY? well I couldn't bring myself to vote for a DR or loan player who may only play  a couple of games 

2 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Yes, exactly this. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Quite.Llight hearted and having a bit of fun is great. However after I spoke to Steve initially I have taken the voting seriously and done my best to make it relevant to the proceedings. I would like all participants to continue or I am wasting my time. I have made clear how the presentation will be conducted  and hope it is to everybody's satisfaction. With just two games to go it would be a shame if people opted out. Let's hope we have  a clear run until October. 

4 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Quite.Llight hearted and having a bit of fun is great. However after I spoke to Steve initially I have taken the voting seriously and done my best to make it relevant to the proceedings. I would like all participants to continue or I am wasting my time. I have made clear how the presentation will be conducted  and hope it is to everybody's satisfaction. With just two games to go it would be a shame if people opted out. Let's hope we have  a clear run until October. 

Totally agree Colin 

Im Fev and im proud

4 hours ago, jamescolin said:

I'll still vote Col. Why are people so serious? Drop your shoulders and have a bit of fun?. Lifes too short. And by the way Bring back Miss World?????

I love a laugh and find amusement in a lot of circumstances. I was successful in marketing during my working days and always tried to give customers want they wanted. If I am trying too hard please excuse me. UTR.  With regard to Miss World isn't she a fair bit below being a star? By the way don't get serious about a cross eyed woman she will probably be seeing somebody on the side. I love a laugh  and have been on the receiving end many times. Keep smiling.  

Archived