trouble at keighley . what happened and who was responsable

3 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

In my experience, this sort of thing occurs far too frequently in rugby league, particularly at amateur rugby league matches. Have to say, I witness behaviour like this hardly at all when watching rugby union. Football, on the other hand, remains in a league of its own, though small beer compared to what I saw in the 70s and 80s.

Rugger is a bonhomie fest. Chitter chatter among fans. Silence for the opposition kicker. They also have signs (in Twickenham) that goes around the perimeter telling the crowd to cheer. 

This article sums up Rugger...”A Day At The Rugby” (it’s akin to going on a picnic)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/10449132/England-v-New-Zealand-Twickenham-needs-footballs-tribalism-it-should-rock-through-atmosphere-not-alcohol.html

England v New Zealand: Twickenham needs football’s tribalism - it should rock through atmosphere not alcohol

On Saturday there was no atmosphere, no tension, just grandstands full of drunk professionals in body-warmers, work shoes and 1990s boot-cut jeans. Whatever was going on down on the pitch - and much of it was worth watching - was lost on large swathes of Block U2 of the West Stand upper tier. 

Judging by the relentless hubbub emanating from the rest of the stadium, a day at the rugby for these "fans" is catching up with mates and getting hammered while some big men run about in the background. 

You had to feel sorry for those who were there to watch the game - you could spot them a mile off, their eyes were on the pitch - when every 10 minutes they're having to stand up to let pass another goose-downed, glassy-eyed City worker laden with four pints on a cardboard carrier soon to double up as a frisbee.

Around the stadium prompts flash up, including "Come on England!" and the lyrics to another toe-curling rendition of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. There is little in the sporting arena more sick-inducing than a middle-aged suburban drunk adding semi-rude hand signals to "Comin' for to carry me home".

5 hours ago, davet said:

It is an official club statement with a big error in it.

Whether it was written straight after the event or not, the error should have been picked up.

so your more concerned about a small spelling error than the actual events I take it . as I say your post says a lot about you

6 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The old “it was Football fans” nonsense. That line will never get old. 

I didn't suggest that it was 'football fans'.

Hinted at the possibility of individuals taking in both a soccer and a rugby league game and overdoing the alcohol intake.

I am not suggesting that overdoing the alcohol intake also leads to misbehaviour - just perhaps suggesting the possible cause(s) which leads to a young boy ending up in tears and a member of staff being abused.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

48 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Hinted at the possibility of individuals taking in both a soccer and a rugby league game and overdoing the alcohol intake.

I am not suggesting that overdoing the alcohol intake also leads to misbehaviour - just perhaps suggesting the possible cause(s) which leads to a young boy ending up in tears and a member of staff being abused.

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Well, you’re talking utter rubbish. Better luck next time. 

7 hours ago, DC77 said:

Rugger is a bonhomie fest. Chitter chatter among fans. Silence for the opposition kicker. They also have signs (in Twickenham) that goes around the perimeter telling the crowd to cheer. 

This article sums up Rugger...”A Day At The Rugby” (it’s akin to going on a picnic)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/10449132/England-v-New-Zealand-Twickenham-needs-footballs-tribalism-it-should-rock-through-atmosphere-not-alcohol.html

England v New Zealand: Twickenham needs football’s tribalism - it should rock through atmosphere not alcohol

On Saturday there was no atmosphere, no tension, just grandstands full of drunk professionals in body-warmers, work shoes and 1990s boot-cut jeans. Whatever was going on down on the pitch - and much of it was worth watching - was lost on large swathes of Block U2 of the West Stand upper tier. 

Judging by the relentless hubbub emanating from the rest of the stadium, a day at the rugby for these "fans" is catching up with mates and getting hammered while some big men run about in the background. 

You had to feel sorry for those who were there to watch the game - you could spot them a mile off, their eyes were on the pitch - when every 10 minutes they're having to stand up to let pass another goose-downed, glassy-eyed City worker laden with four pints on a cardboard carrier soon to double up as a frisbee.

Around the stadium prompts flash up, including "Come on England!" and the lyrics to another toe-curling rendition of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. There is little in the sporting arena more sick-inducing than a middle-aged suburban drunk adding semi-rude hand signals to "Comin' for to carry me home".

I wonder what the same writer would make of some of the stuff that goes on at rugby league?

8 hours ago, DC77 said:

You had to feel sorry for those who were there to watch the game

What's worse is that "ordinary fans" that want to be there can't even get a ticket for love nor money. Corporate buys up a lot, connections via membership of local RU clubs can help with tickets. Followers of the Premiership clubs get no special consideration. Joe public can go whistle. To be fair, I have been to Twickenham and I didn't find it "special" in any way. Yes it's big, but so what? Middle of nowhere. Wouldn't want to go back. Very disappointing experience.

8 hours ago, Andy Capp said:

What's worse is that "ordinary fans" that want to be there can't even get a ticket for love nor money. Corporate buys up a lot, connections via membership of local RU clubs can help with tickets. Followers of the Premiership clubs get no special consideration. Joe public can go whistle. To be fair, I have been to Twickenham and I didn't find it "special" in any way. Yes it's big, but so what? Middle of nowhere. Wouldn't want to go back. Very disappointing experience.

I noticed Sheffield Cricket Lovers Society (of all people) made it known via social media they had for sale, at face value, tickets for last weekend's England-Wales friendly. Can't say I have Twickers on my 'to do' list.

10 hours ago, Andy Capp said:

If I believed in Heaven & Hell that must be what hell is like, in a Yawnion crowd at Twickers, can't imagine anything worse even 24hrs locked in a room with Parky would be preferable ?

An official club statement - without a spelling error.( Though there is in the local press )

STATEMENT: As we make Keighley Cougars the most progressive and modern club in rugby league, we are investing in creating a safe and secure environment for all visitors to Cougar Park.

As such, we are implementing the following measures.

- Fully qualified SIA security staff are always employed at every match but on major matches an additional team will be present to roam the ground, supporting our existing team of stewards, enabling supporters to feel safe and secure.

We encourage fans to raise any concerns with them. They are trained to be understanding and supportive, and have your safety as their main priority.

- Additional external CCTV digitally recording will be installed, to enable us to follow up any issues that may occur. We aim to cover the whole of Cougar Park, so fans can have peace of mind that we are keeping you safe so you can have the most enjoyable day out.

- We are launching a dedicated real-time text messaging service on game days, so fans can text in any security concerns.

This text line will be permanently monitored by our safety staff, and an immediate response team will be sent straight out to any areas highlighted by fans where they have a concern.

The dedicated text message number will be printed on matchday tickets, on our website, around the ground, and on Cougar social media channels. We encourage all fans to store it in their mobile phones.

We will be implementing these measures imminently and hope this will help our ground maintain it's safe, family friendly atmosphere.

More money going out of the sport.Well done 'Tough Guys'!

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

5 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

An official club statement - without a spelling error.( Though there is in the local press )

STATEMENT: As we make Keighley Cougars the most progressive and modern club in rugby league, we are investing in creating a safe and secure environment for all visitors to Cougar Park.

As such, we are implementing the following measures.

- Fully qualified SIA security staff are always employed at every match but on major matches an additional team will be present to roam the ground, supporting our existing team of stewards, enabling supporters to feel safe and secure.

We encourage fans to raise any concerns with them. They are trained to be understanding and supportive, and have your safety as their main priority.

- Additional external CCTV digitally recording will be installed, to enable us to follow up any issues that may occur. We aim to cover the whole of Cougar Park, so fans can have peace of mind that we are keeping you safe so you can have the most enjoyable day out.

- We are launching a dedicated real-time text messaging service on game days, so fans can text in any security concerns.

This text line will be permanently monitored by our safety staff, and an immediate response team will be sent straight out to any areas highlighted by fans where they have a concern.

The dedicated text message number will be printed on matchday tickets, on our website, around the ground, and on Cougar social media channels. We encourage all fans to store it in their mobile phones.

We will be implementing these measures imminently and hope this will help our ground maintain it's safe, family friendly atmosphere.

More money going out of the sport.Well done 'Tough Guys'!

Well done Keighley.  They’ve acted swiftly by encouraging vigilance and peer pressure.

Archived