trouble at keighley . what happened and who was responsable

12 hours ago, spanishknight said:

It was Hunslet supporters who caused all the trouble not Keighleys.

While that wouldn't surprise me at all, there was certainly a bit of a rum element to Keighley's support the last time I was there. Not radically different to anywhere else, I suppose.

16 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

There goes that family game myth again

I have to say while I have never seen anything that would constitute hooliganism at New River, I’ve seen plenty of aggressive behaviour with loads of swearing (often aimed at the ref), which I wouldn’t be happy to hear or see if I had a young family with me. 

3 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I have to say while I have never seen anything that would constitute hooliganism at New River, I’ve seen plenty of aggressive behaviour with loads of swearing (often aimed at the ref), which I wouldn’t be happy to hear or see if I had a young family with me. 

It happens everywhere (although the World Cup was a breath of fresh air). It doesn't bother me too much but my girlfriend hates it and I'm sure it stops a lot of people from going.

26 minutes ago, wackojacko said:

It happens everywhere (although the World Cup was a breath of fresh air). It doesn't bother me too much but my girlfriend hates it and I'm sure it stops a lot of people from going.

Over drinking has a lot to do with it. Also, in small grounds/crowds - it's hard to avoid. IIRC there was a recent thread on here about people who get over angry at matches (on internet forums too!) 

It doesn't bother me either but it doesn't create a family atmosphere. (I watched football in the late 70s/80s - that was mayhem!)

37 minutes ago, davet said:

i'd be more concerned that the "official statement" wasn't checked for spelling & grammar.

here / hear.

Probably written shortly after the 'incidents' while still in shock.

It is more worrying when reading university educated rugby league journalists writing in the RLE - which has an editor allowing it to go out.

As for the trouble at Keighley,I wasn't there,but Hunslet have adult 'Ultras' and this was a 6pm ko on a day when Leeds United had a 3pm ko.

Perhaps the 'adult' Hunslet followers had been at the Leeds United game and required alcohol to get them through both matches.

It seems women and children are fair game,nowadays,in this country.

** PS.I note the deliberate mistake permitted in the topic heading**

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, EssexRL said:

I’ve seen plenty of aggressive behaviour with loads of swearing (often aimed at the ref), which I wouldn’t be happy to hear or see if I had a young family with me. 

In my experience, this sort of thing occurs far too frequently in rugby league, particularly at amateur rugby league matches. Have to say, I witness behaviour like this hardly at all when watching rugby union. Football, on the other hand, remains in a league of its own, though small beer compared to what I saw in the 70s and 80s.

55 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It is more worrying when reading university educated rugby league journalists writing in the RLE - which has an editor allowing it to go out.

As for the trouble at Keighley,I wasn't there,but Hunslet have adult 'Ultras' and this was a 6pm ko on a day when Leeds United had a 3pm ko.

Perhaps the 'adult' Hunslet followers had been at the Leeds United game and required alcohol to get them through both matches.

Leeds United kicked off at 12.30pm on Saturday so plenty of time for anyone to get between the two games.  Not that I want to tar LUFC fans, I'm one myself, but it's probably not the best plan to schedule two games as such on the same day.

16 hours ago, spanishknight said:

It was Hunslet supporters who caused all the trouble not Keighleys.

It doesn't matter whether it was Hunslet 'supporters', Keighley 'supporters' or just random people who showed up because they got a ticket from somewhere. The point is that it happened - and the game as a whole needs to own this increasing problem, and work with all the clubs to find ways of eradicating it.

1 hour ago, paul hicks said:

and I would be more concerned that you may actually mean what you wrinte

It is an official club statement with a big error in it.

Whether it was written straight after the event or not, the error should have been picked up.

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

The old “it was Football fans” nonsense. That line will never get old. 

3 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Yeah Leeds United fans were just itching to get over to Keighley after the game and watch Hunslet......said nobody....ever. 

You'd have been best leaving it at 'I wasn't there....' 

Regarding Hunslet's 'Ultras' - I'm taking it you've never actually met them? Most are 50+ and yes like to make a lot of noise and i'm sure some overstep the mark on occasion but you're making them sound like the nutcases we get on the continent, that wear balaclavas and going round stabbing people. 

This is exactly the same as the Warrington situation - nobody knows the full story, people jumping to easy conclusions and complete headtheballs trying to link it to football fans to dismiss the real issues RL has with idiots/alcohol. Sigh. 

Archived