Bradford Sunday

NickD

8 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Well we lost again and deservedly so, but I do question some of Jack Smith’s decisions; he sees offences that are not there and misses lots where penalties should be awarded. I believe he had a hand in three of Bradford’s tries. First one was when there was a kick and chase and our player was bundled into touch. From the ensuing scrum Bradford scored, but I think we should have been awarded a penalty as Ryan encroached within 10 metres and was thus offside, being ahead of the kick. Second was when the Dewsbury player grabbed the ball on the ground, facing his posts, but was given as a knock-on. Try scored. Third, in the second half, a Bradford player danced behind a teammate who had his arms in the air; still obstruction., but a try was scored. 

I suppose the highlights will give us the answers. 

Aside from all that it was clear that we were not good enough on attack and I was pleased we even scored. Could all that lack of attacking flair be through too many team changes each week? We’ve had an enormous number of players arrive and leave the club, which must mean that the team isn’t settled and moves have been difficult to learn or remember.

Could it also mean that the players brought in, on loan or not, haven’t the quality to play consistently at Championship level?

First one ref hardly had a hand in he didn't then miss the tackles for the try. I was behind the sticks so can't say if Ethan was offside that could of been the correct call but it's hardly the ref having a hand in.

if it's the one I think your meaning he dived for the ball and went over the ball which would be classed has a knock on.

Obstruction one I've looked at the highlights for one where Wilde run at line passed it in side to Ross Wilde was then past your line.

the other one pickersgill got ball from Keyes and just danced through.

the third one in the second half Conner played the ball oakes scooted over I don't know where the guy playing the ball when done like that is meant to move.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 19/08/2019 at 11:59, Wakefield Ram said:

Couldn't go to the game but watched the highlights and just looking at the card incidents.

Knowles sending off was a yellow card at most and maybe a yellow card for Lilley for faking an inury.

Owen Trout's yellow card was laughable, it was two players nowhere near the ball colliding. If that was the benchmark, the Bulls player who grabbed hold of him earlier in the play should have been binned as well. And definitely not as bad at the Bulls player taking Gabriel out in the air. That should have been a yellow for reckless play.

All the tries for both teams were fairly soft ones though.

Just watched highlights and OMG, some terrible decisions that wouldn't have made one iota of difference to the result, but don't half get up your nose.  Red card was ridiculous..The knock on by Garrett even worse and the Owen Trout sin bin barking mad...

If you can object about refs when they are allocated games I suggest do so the next time we get this guy...

Case Number: ON/1535/19
Name: Michael Knowles
Club and shirt 
number:
Dewsbury; 12
Match: Dewsbury v Bradford
Competition and Date: Championship; 18th August 2019
Report received from: Referee; Dismissal
Details of allegation: Shoulder Charge in the 56th minute (Lilley)
Decision: Issue charge 
Details of Charge / 
Reason for NFA: 
Rule – 15.1(k) 
Detail – Indirect or direct contact with the head of an 
attacking player
Grade – C 
Penalty Notice: 2 Match Penalty Notice

Just a yellow card? Sure about that one?

Case Number: ON/1535/19
Name: Michael Knowles
Club and shirt 
number:
Dewsbury; 12
Match: Dewsbury v Bradford
Competition and Date: Championship; 18th August 2019
Report received from: Referee; Dismissal
Details of allegation: Shoulder Charge in the 56th minute (Lilley)
Decision: Issue charge 
Details of Charge / 
Reason for NFA: 
Rule – 15.1(k) 
Detail – Indirect or direct contact with the head of an 
attacking player
Grade – C 
Penalty Notice: 2 Match Penalty Notice

Just a yellow card? Sure about that one?

Yep I'd still go yellow card. Lilley was going down as he passed the ball and he faked injury, which seems not be an offence. Interesting to see no further action against the Bradford winger who took Gabriel out in the air, which was far more dangerous. I understand why the Disciplinary Committee has to back the ref. His match report says it's a Grade C offence so Knowles is either guilty and he gets a ban or not guilty in which case it's an admission the the ref has got it wrong. 

No action on the three yellow cards.

7 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Yep I'd still go yellow card. Lilley was going down as he passed the ball and he faked injury, which seems not be an offence. Interesting to see no further action against the Bradford winger who took Gabriel out in the air, which was far more dangerous. I understand why the Disciplinary Committee has to back the ref. His match report says it's a Grade C offence so Knowles is either guilty and he gets a ban or not guilty in which case it's an admission the the ref has got it wrong. 

There couldn't be any further action against the Bradford player - it wasn't carded nor paced on report and the tackled player wasn't injured, so it wouldn't have been reviewed in any case.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

23 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

That was missed time with the run bought he caught the player and put him down he didn't let go or flip him. It was controlled. I get what your saying but look at the Nrl they can tackle in the air.

3 hours ago, Bullmania said:

That was missed time with the run bought he caught the player and put him down he didn't let go or flip him. It was controlled. I get what your saying but look at the Nrl they can tackle in the air.

Only when defending their touch and goal area. And this isn't the NRL - they allow ball-steals and penalise things that we don't so the comparison isn't appropriate.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

21 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

There couldn't be any further action against the Bradford player - it wasn't carded nor paced on report and the tackled player wasn't injured, so it wouldn't have been reviewed in any case.

Which just shows how could haphazard the disciplinary process is. Reckless contact on a player in the air gets a penalty, accidental collision with a Bradford player away from the ball gets a yellow card. And faking an injury gets nothing.

46 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Which just shows how could haphazard the disciplinary process is. Reckless contact on a player in the air gets a penalty, accidental collision with a Bradford player away from the ball gets a yellow card. And faking an injury gets nothing.

Referees are people too, just in case you hadn't noticed.

If you want haphazard look at how our players have performed, collectively and as a unit, this season.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Referees are people too, just in case you hadn't noticed.

If you want haphazard look at how our players have performed, collectively and as a unit, this season.

Fair point BSJ, but surely whilst we would accept players and games are haphazard the disciplinary process is not  meant to be so?  I can’t see that the Knowles incident deserved two matches and if it was because of contact to the head where was the concussion assessment and will our friend, Mr Cheat, miss the next game as a precaution?

50 minutes ago, NickD said:

Fair point BSJ, but surely whilst we would accept players and games are haphazard the disciplinary process is not  meant to be so?  I can’t see that the Knowles incident deserved two matches and if it was because of contact to the head where was the concussion assessment and will our friend, Mr Cheat, miss the next game as a precaution?

Inaccept the premise Nck but was responding to your crticism of the original referee's decision which prevented the tackle being judged by the disciplinary panel. Due process has to be followed or things would become really haphazard.

If it is felt that the punishment meted out was excessive then the player is allowed to make an appeal against it. As far as I know Knowles isn't going to do so.

Archived