Who should host the 2025 RLWC?

I think the best choice would be New Zealand we can't have Australia again. This would be a good driver for expansion into new heartlands.

1. This can also work in unasyn with the NRL's efforts of expanding RL in the Pacific.

2.New Zealand has the right infrastructure for the event.

3. Beautiful countries the fans will love it.

4. Fan's from the Australian and English heartlands would travel in numbers to New Zealand.

I think it should alternate between southern and northern hemisphere.

I'd have France as the designated main host in 2029, but supported by some matches in England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland.

Perhaps further down the line a USA/Canada bid could be considered (depending on how things go with Toronto etc.), but I think that's a fair time away at the moment.

Australia purposefully so I can have 6 months of English sporting heaven.

Summer: RU Lions tour to Oz (that's if agent Folau hasn't brought them down first)

August/September/October: NRL/Finals series

October/November: RLWC

November/December: Ashes tour

• 1 month later...
On 14/08/2019 at 12:59, Tommygilf said:

Australia purposefully so I can have 6 months of English sporting heaven.

Summer: RU Lions tour to Oz (that's if agent Folau hasn't brought them down first)

August/September/October: NRL/Finals series

October/November: RLWC

November/December: Ashes tour

Sounds like you're gonna spend a fortune

On 13/08/2019 at 23:15, 17 stone giant said:

I'd like to see it shared between various southern hemisphere countries. Predominantly New Zealand and Australia, but in PNG too. Maybe New Zealand could be the designated main hosts with the final, but I don't think I'd expect them to host every single game.

Yeah they should take some games to PNG but I say they can definitely be the main hosts

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Australia didn't promote the 2017 world cup very well as they still want SOO to be there pinnacle of the game, in there view.

Perhaps if a magic weekend is held in France and its successful perhaps play the 2025 world cup there.

Wasn’t SOO created due to the lack of competitiveness in the international game? A way to give the best Aussie players a contest? Given that SOO didn’t exist for 70 odd years while internationals were being played then surely it could be argued they gave the international game plenty of attention.

The problem with the international game isn’t Australia nor their attitude imo, it’s the lack of quality opposition for them (bar a once in a blue moon NZ 2008 type of performance). When winning becomes a procession it devalues the winning and creates apathy. It’s up to the opposition, especially England, to become competitive. It’s not easy as there is a significant gap in resources (playing pool, and financial) so I’m not being critical of England. I just think there isn’t really anyone to blame. The Aussies created a contest for the best Aussie players to take part in, and it generates big interest there. Unless something significant happens with England (can’t really see NZ with even less resources) and they get close to Australia then the Status quo will remain in place.

3 hours ago, DC77 said:

Wasn’t SOO created due to the lack of competitiveness in the international game? A way to give the best Aussie players a contest? Given that SOO didn’t exist for 70 odd years while internationals were being played then surely it could be argued they gave the international game plenty of attention.

The problem with the international game isn’t Australia nor their attitude imo, it’s the lack of quality opposition for them (bar a once in a blue moon NZ 2008 type of performance). When winning becomes a procession it devalues the winning and creates apathy. It’s up to the opposition, especially England, to become competitive. It’s not easy as there is a significant gap in resources (playing pool, and financial) so I’m not being critical of England. I just think there isn’t really anyone to blame. The Aussies created a contest for the best Aussie players to take part in, and it generates big interest there. Unless something significant happens with England (can’t really see NZ with even less resources) and they get close to Australia then the Status quo will remain in place.

That might be the case, but the fact remains that the 2017 RLWC was poorly promoted and Australia doesn't want anything in Rugby League to challenge SOO.

7 hours ago, DC77 said:

No, State of Origin was created due to the lack of competitiveness in the interstate game, i.e. the annual contests between NSW and Queensland.  RL clubs in NSW had much more money than their counterparts in Queensland due to the money from the poker machines (which were illegal in Queensland) in their Leagues clubs, so players moved from the QRL to the NSWRL and that weakened the Queensland rep teams as those players couldn't play for Queensland in the interstate series then.  State of Origin was created to remedy that situation.

7 hours ago, Chamey said:

France would be the ideal venue, perhaps a joint one between southern France and Northern Spain?

No point sending it to Australia, they don't need the promotion of the sport, and will fudge the numbers to ensure that it doesn't make any money.

France isn't ready yet. The game is too low profile there.

On 26/09/2019 at 18:09, Scubby said:

Japan has no profile for RU

Japan has a professional RU league,sponsored by many of their world class companies. You can earn more playing union in Japan,than you can in the UK. The teams are full of Pacific Islandersand South Africans.

2 hours ago, cookey said:

Japan has a professional RU league,sponsored by many of their world class companies. You can earn more playing union in Japan,than you can in the UK. The teams are full of Pacific Islandersand South Africans.

In 1999 Wales hosted the World Cup, essentially having the opening game, Wales pool games, 2 QFs, 1 sf and a final. The rest were dished around the home nations. France 2025 could work on exactly the same deal. Best of both worlds,using England and Wales as support acts..

That would do more for French RL than Catalans and Toulouse could ever do. 

5 hours ago, cookey said:

That's because our RL teams are for profit and can't overpay players or else the club will cease to exist. Whereas japan those are company teams were companies like toshiba and toyota field rugby sides the players are hired by that company.

New Zealand or France, like the post above France could pull it off by having all there games in France and have Wales and England in supporting rolls. France need support financially to progress and come up to a level closer to the big 3. Have the emerging nations either over the pond or in the Balkans to promote here. RL needs to look at getting 3 or 4 more teams up to speed. RU are making progress slowly as were seeing in this world cup but its taken the thick end of 20 odd years of support to get here. Does RL have the appetite for International rugby like RU and develop over time????

Id love to see in 20 years time at least 6-7 teams in the mix with the big 3. It is possible

Archived