Potential new route for Salford?

I was watching the League cup game between Leeds United and Salford City last night and thought instantly how the Moor Lane ground is almost perfect for Salford RL. Just over 5000 capacity, 2 standing terraced ends and recently refurbished. Looks like it has capacity to expand too if the RL club wanted to put some money in.

I don't know about the pitch dimensions or whether the location of the ground is suitable for Reds fans, but I couldn't help but feel that it would be better than the soulless cavern that is the AJ Bell at times. Its compact nature would help a team like Salford (and Huddersfield for example) create a better atmosphere on matchdays in an appropriately sized stadium. There is constant references throughout the club that it is based in its community, with the food and drink being supplied locally for example. This community connection is exactly what Salford RL should be aspiring to imo.

Equally I don't know what Salford's deal is with the AJ Bell. What I do know is every time I've been it certainly hasn't felt like Salford's 'home'. The Badge on the ground is two revamps out of date, Sale Sharks logos and sponsorship seem to be up everywhere, and the atmosphere on gameday can just feel a bit lacking. In my mind, a move to Moor Lane, with an aim of part ownership of the Ground rather than mere tenancy, could make it a proper home for Salford RL.

What do Salford fans and others think? I'm not a Salford fan so don't go to the AJ Bell regularly, perhaps you love it? I don't live in Salford so wouldn't know if Moor Lane was in a bad location etc. I'm just interested having seen it on TV last night.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

Too small for Salford RL and poor parking facilities/no local eateries. Not much of an advantage to the AJ Bell though it is a little nearer to the CBD and a more affluent suburb of Manchester (Higher Broughton).

I doubt its too small. Salford averaged 2700ish last year. Just over half capacity of Moor Lane. In fact the capacity was the one thing that drew me to it as an idea.

Just now, RugbyLeagueMan said:

Oh yes it would be, because if they did move there, the crowds would increase for sure. Moor Lane does have a certain nostalgic feeling so I have heard.

So if crowds would increase by a move to Moor Lane, how can that be a bad thing?

1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

As I previously said....lack of eating facilities. Most people these days want have a coffee/beer/lunch before a game.

Having been to the AJ Bell and looking at Salford's current crowds (which you've just said would go up if they moved to Moor Lane) I don't think the abundance of eating facilities at the AJ Bell is appealing to the fans.

26 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

Too small for Salford RL and poor parking facilities/no local eateries. Not much of an advantage to the AJ Bell though it is a little nearer to the CBD and a more affluent suburb of Manchester (Higher Broughton).

I've not been to to Moor Lane for a long time, having watched Langworthy play there and also played for a football team there. I understand that the ground has been transformed as the old ground would have been totally unsuitable. If it was of a suitable standard, and the capacity of 5,106 shouldn't be sufficient for a progressive super league club, the Kersal location would be closer to the populations of Higher Broughton (which falls under Salford), Prestwich, Whitefield and Crumpsall. As a corollary, the location is of course further away from what might be called the Salford heartlands

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I was watching the League cup game between Leeds United and Salford City last night and thought instantly how the Moor Lane ground is almost perfect for Salford RL. Just over 5000 capacity, 2 standing terraced ends and recently refurbished. Looks like it has capacity to expand too if the RL club wanted to put some money in.

I don't know about the pitch dimensions or whether the location of the ground is suitable for Reds fans, but I couldn't help but feel that it would be better than the soulless cavern that is the AJ Bell at times. Its compact nature would help a team like Salford (and Huddersfield for example) create a better atmosphere on matchdays in an appropriately sized stadium. There is constant references throughout the club that it is based in its community, with the food and drink being supplied locally for example. This community connection is exactly what Salford RL should be aspiring to imo.

Equally I don't know what Salford's deal is with the AJ Bell. What I do know is every time I've been it certainly hasn't felt like Salford's 'home'. The Badge on the ground is two revamps out of date, Sale Sharks logos and sponsorship seem to be up everywhere, and the atmosphere on gameday can just feel a bit lacking. In my mind, a move to Moor Lane, with an aim of part ownership of the Ground rather than mere tenancy, could make it a proper home for Salford RL.

What do Salford fans and others think? I'm not a Salford fan so don't go to the AJ Bell regularly, perhaps you love it? I don't live in Salford so wouldn't know if Moor Lane was in a bad location etc. I'm just interested having seen it on TV last night.

When I read the OP I thought you were giving us a friday night M62 alternative Tom?

3 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

Yup. Sedgeley Park would be the nearest locality for eating/pub I think.

The Star Inn, off Lower Broughton Road, would be an option - and Britain's first urban co-operatively owned pub.

For a concentration of pubs, Prestwich is another option, but it's all about which direction you are coming from. 

(There did used to be the Kersal pub, but I think this disappeared a long time ago)

53 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Salford was bought by the man Utd old boys. They asked Peter lim? A billionaire investor who owns Valencia to invest so they could upgrade the facility's.

I think Lim owns 40% and 10% each for Beckham giggs scholes Neville Neville and butt. I think Beckham turned up to a game last year?

They started this project and have had sky tv shows covering their progress. (A good watch actually, they played Halifax in a play off at the shay). 

I very much doubt they would want to share with RL as they don't need the cash. Part ownership would be deffo a no no.

What is interesting is that they got 3500 for their first league game this season as when they were bought 5 divisions lower they got around 50 fans. This is interesting as this is the same fan base Salford are competing for. Also the Utd players who are mostly local look to have the right approach with engagement with the community. How did Salford miss this when they moved stadium!

3 minutes ago, yipyee said:

What is interesting is that they got 3500 for their first league game this season as when they were bought 5 divisions lower they got around 50 fans. This is interesting as this is the same fan base Salford are competing for.

That's what I think is most interesting, they seem at least to have as much if not more of a connection to the community than Salford do. 

Perhaps they're disaffected Man United fans, but I doubt they all are. The whole feel of the ground, even if only on TV, just seemed more 'Salford' than the AJ Bell has for me.

34 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Salford was bought by the man Utd old boys. They asked Peter lim? A billionaire investor who owns Valencia to invest so they could upgrade the facility's.

I think Lim owns 40% and 10% each for Beckham giggs scholes Neville Neville and butt. I think Beckham turned up to a game last year?

They started this project and have had sky tv shows covering their progress. (A good watch actually, they played Halifax in a play off at the shay). 

I very much doubt they would want to share with RL as they don't need the cash. Part ownership would be deffo a no no.

What is interesting is that they got 3500 for their first league game this season as when they were bought 5 divisions lower they got around 50 fans. This is interesting as this is the same fan base Salford are competing for. Also the Utd players who are mostly local look to have the right approach with engagement with the community. How did Salford miss this when they moved stadium!

There does seem to be business acumen involved; this is today's announcement of the launch of University Academy 92.

About 20 years ago on RL fans I suggested local non SL RL clubs ( Leigh,Swinton,Oldham,Rochdale ) should each have approached the local players of the class of 92 to become directors of each club ( maybe a nominal £ 10 K each ) as a hobby for the players which would have also increased the visibility of the clubs within their community's , especially when the teams would have been playing each other 

1 hour ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

Yup I agree, but the only advantage to going to Moor Lane would be because it's nearer. There is poor parking there mate.

I think if it reinvigorated the Salford RL club it would be a good thing. 

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Last night they broke their ground record against Leeds United in the Carabao Cup - 4,518.

1 hour ago, Manxmanc said:

I've not been to to Moor Lane for a long time, having watched Langworthy play there and also played for a football team there. I understand that the ground has been transformed as the old ground would have been totally unsuitable. If it was of a suitable standard, and the capacity of 5,106 shouldn't be sufficient for a progressive super league club, the Kersal location would be closer to the populations of Higher Broughton (which falls under Salford), Prestwich, Whitefield and Crumpsall. As a corollary, the location is of course further away from what might be called the Salford heartlands

If a club only gets 2-5 k attendances who cares what capacity stadium they play in. They could move to Old Trafford and only get 3k what difference does having 70k empty seats. 

I just don't get the argument for minimum capacity for SL. If Salford have a 5k stadium with 3k in it looks a whole lot better for the box and for the punter at the stadium. 

Cas games come across really well on TV and the atmosphere is great. Because the get near capacity in a small stadium. If they moved to a 30k stadium and still got the same 8k it would make it a worse spectacle. 

I get bored watching the NRL when the have a few thousand people rattling around in massive stadiums just like I do when I watch Salford or Huddersfield in a mostly empty stadium. 

16 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

If a club only gets 2-5 k attendances who cares what capacity stadium they play in. They could move to Old Trafford and only get 3k what difference does having 70k empty seats. 

I just don't get the argument for minimum capacity for SL. If Salford have a 5k stadium with 3k in it looks a whole lot better for the box and for the punter at the stadium. 

Cas games come across really well on TV and the atmosphere is great. Because the get near capacity in a small stadium. If they moved to a 30k stadium and still got the same 8k it would make it a worse spectacle. 

I get bored watching the NRL when the have a few thousand people rattling around in massive stadiums just like I do when I watch Salford or Huddersfield in a mostly empty stadium. 

Absolutely agree. That's what initially drew me to this idea in the first place. For both punters in the ground and those watching on TV, a packed smaller ground always gives a better picture than a less than half full large one. Your point on Cas is spot on - stick that fanbase in Huddersfield's ground and it loses a lot.

That's why I'm interested in Salford fans views on this. Would they prefer to be in the AJ Bell that they averaged less than a quarter capacity last year or in a much smaller ground that they could create some atmosphere in? 

I thought Salford were tied to the AJ Bell (part-owned by the council)  because they owe the council around £1.5m, which would be called in if they tried to leave?  Oddly enough, if Sale bought the stadium outright, that could free Salford to move to a more suitable site.

52 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Minimum standards are in place to protect the clubs and product.

How can a SL club be progressive and enhance the brand if they only aim to have 5k supporters max. 

5k with ST (being generous) at 200 each (average) is only 1 mill a year. And that's with little hospitality options. 

That's nowhere near enough income to run a professional outfit. 

Salford can't even get a shirt sponsor for 60k! And struggling to get someone to make the kit

In contrast man Utd shirt manufacturer deal is worth 800 million over 10 years.. that's 80 million a year

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Minimum standards are in place to protect the clubs and product.

How can a SL club be progressive and enhance the brand if they only aim to have 5k supporters max. 

5k with ST (being generous) at 200 each (average) is only 1 mill a year. And that's with little hospitality options. 

That's nowhere near enough income to run a professional outfit. 

Salford can't even get a shirt sponsor for 60k! And struggling to get someone to make the kit

In contrast man Utd shirt manufacturer deal is worth 800 million over 10 years.. that's 80 million a year

Kappa make the kit and will do so next year as well. The shirt sponsorship deal has just ended and we are looking for a new one - so what? Next season is a long way off. People don't half talk some nonsense when it comes to Salford.

On the ground - by all accounts those running the club are happy with the current arrangements at the AJ Bell as financially it makes sense and we meet the minimum requirements. Location isn't ideal but people are just getting used to it and I'm unconvinced another move would make any difference.

There are already rumours in the City of a ground swap but I'm pretty sure a move to Moor lane for Salford Red Devils would not increase the attendances. Its more difficult to get to by public transport than the A.J Bell and parking is terrible, although its £6 at the A.J Bell. Although the ground is in Salford - if you walked up Moor lane you would be in Manchester in 5 minutes. With regard to the local community - they are predominantly Jewish, have very little, if any, interest in RL, and were mostly opposed to the ground being developed. There is not much in the way of facilities around Moor lane either, although most people won't pay the extortionate prices at the A.J Bell. The Kersal pub that was mentioned is now a block of apartments. There are no pubs/ cafes/ shops in reasonable walking distance. Coming from the M62 away fans have a few places they could go for a drink with a little bit of research, although not within walking distance of the ground. For Salford fans from the current catchment area the nearest pub/restaurant would be the Henry Boddington and that is a taxi ride away, unless you are feeling really fit. I used to watch Swinton play at Moor lane and the football club did not welcome them. I don't know if the attitude would be different with Salford, but, I go to some Salford City FC games and there are very few fans with dual interest. Moor lane is in the Kersal/ Broughton area of Salford and it is worth noting that the supporters buses do not currently operate from that area. It is also true that the RL club owe a huge debt to the council and they are not going to let Salford walk away from the A.J Bell unless there is another way of Salford paying off their debt.

Archived