Quickfire Q & A: Post your questions for Courtney Hill (Leeds Rhinos Women's captain)

spacer.png

Leeds Rhinos Women's captain Courtney Hill is the subject of our next Quickfire Q & A in Rugby League World.

She was named as Woman of the Match and scored the winning try in the Rhinos' recent Challenge Cup Final victory - not bad for someone who only got back into the sport at the start of last season.

She had played in Australia up until she was 12 but had to give it up when there was no local girls team for her to join. She then went on to play cricket instead and played for Brisbane Heat in the first Women's Big Bash.

She moved over to Leeds with her partner and contacted Lois Forsell to see if she could trial with Leeds and that's how it all started.

Post your questions for Courtney below.

I watched the final with my son at the triple header, we both said the skill level was fantastic and the game hugely enjoyable, congrats on the win. 

Money is the key to going full time and being full time means that you are a bit fitter, a bit sharper due to more training etc. As the game needs to produce its own money to be able to do this (unlike football there is not much spare money around in general in RL) what do you believe is the key to being able to develop the revenue streams to go full time and how far away do you think the game is from doing this. 

There's a fair amount of debate at the minute around contact sports, concussion and the like. What would you say to reassure any parents whose children (daughters in particular) are thinking of playing rugby league?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I'll ask a question,now I'm here,....Do you think it important that when the current crop of players finish playing the sport,that many of them go into refereeing and into the administration of the Ladies game?

One more,...What can be done to get the British as involved in all sports,as they appear to be in Australia,and how can the British establish more of a determination to succeed,and improve,at sport?

Moderating note, I edited this post to remove deleted quotes.

To the rest of you. Behave...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Do you think, with the talent coming through, that England stand a genuine chance of winning the World Cup in 2021 or are they too far behind Australia and NZ? 

The women’s game in England has concentrated on introducing new teams on the back of existing men’s team - expanding the top flight. Do you think this is the right approach or do you think that talent is being spread too thin and the standard suffers and we’d be better following a more concentrated elite model as in Australia/NZ?

1 minute ago, ckn said:

Moderating note, I edited this post to remove deleted quotes.

To the rest of you. Behave...

Indeed.

For pity's sake, there are days on here when I wonder why we bother asking for people's input... some folk could start a pointless argument in an empty room.

I should say that we also put this request for questions for the Q & A out on Twitter and Facebook too and we also get people emailing in, so the number of views a thread gets on here or the number of questions posted on here is no guide to how popular a particular subject is.

These are meant to be fun features, folks.

Fun. Remember that? It's what Rugby League is supposed to be.

Now, after this brief moderating interlude, any more questions for Courtney...?

On 14/08/2019 at 10:28, John Drake said:

spacer.png

Leeds Rhinos Women's captain Courtney Hill is the subject of our next Quickfire Q & A in Rugby League World.

She was named as Woman of the Match and scored the winning try in the Rhinos' recent Challenge Cup Final victory - not bad for someone who only got back into the sport at the start of last season.

She had played in Australia up until she was 12 but had to give it up when there was no local girls team for her to join. She then went on to play cricket instead and played for Brisbane Heat in the first Women's Big Bash.

She moved over to Leeds with her partner and contacted Lois Forsell to see if she could trial with Leeds and that's how it all started.

Post your questions for Courtney below.

England's always going to have a smaller player pool than Australia, especially in the women's game. Allowing for this, what one thing would you like to see happen over here so that England can be competitive against Australia at international level as the women's game becomes more professional?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Would you prefer to play double headers with the Mens team or stand alone fixtures?

Good question, this is something that has been debated within cycling circles for some time, particularly as women's sports cycling struggles for sponsors/money/recognition.

Fancy a beer in the Whalebone?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Archived