16 Aug: SL: Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/19 at 18:45

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very much looking forward to watching this one. Wigan may have got off to a slow start to the season, but they have been steadily working their way up the table. Wonder what effect the looming Wembley appearance will have on Warrington's team selection and tactics? It's getting tight at the top.......

image.thumb.png.9ecce19f0e4ca3138f2a604467d82f6a.png

Yep Wigan for mine, Wire are simply not the same if Austen doesn't play everything seems to revolve around him, signing one of yesterday's men such as Matty Smith display's to me as a measure of desperation, if Ratchford gets injured again and is unavailble along with Austen they can put the cue on the rack and prepare for next season, surely 2020 will be their year.

1 hour ago, muckymunksy said:

Wigan by 14 

Cant see Wire finishing in the top 5

That is certainly a real risk for us, and to be honest would be a bit of a disaster. Finishing 5th or below would be a disaster and questions would need to be asked of the coaching and playing staff.

Wire are a very good side, but the week before Wembley is always the ideal time to play someone, so I have us as favourites. How Wire’s season finishes will depend on the result at Wembley. If they win, then I can’t see them  winning all their last 3 games which could well mean they end up 4th. If they lose, they are still good enough to win all 3 and finish 2nd. 

On 14/08/2019 at 14:54, Dave T said:

That is certainly a real risk for us, and to be honest would be a bit of a disaster. Finishing 5th or below would be a disaster and questions would need to be asked of the coaching and playing staff.

No questions over long injuries to pivotal players like Brown, Ratchford and Blake? 

Just coaching issues?

1 hour ago, Auntie Linzi Morris said:

I'm a Warrington fan and I think my team will win.

Is such a prediction against the forum's rules?

Nah.

I think you'll find that our friend Steve Reed thinks that, given a fair crack of the whip by the ref, Hull KR would win every game they play.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Does anyone know what kind of team Warrington are putting out? I haven't seen the 19 man squads.

Hopefully this should be a tight, well fought game, but I think Wigan will run away with it, with Warrington having one eye on CC.

If Warrington do end of getting beat by 20+ points, then I don't hold much hope for them at Wembley!

53 minutes ago, Click said:

Does anyone know what kind of team Warrington are putting out? I haven't seen the 19 man squads.

Wire squad: Sitaleki Akauola, Daryl Clark, Jason Clark, Mike Cooper, Ben Currie, Matt Davis, Bryson Goodwin, Chris Hill, Toby King, Tom Lineham, Harvey Livett, Jake Mamo, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Declan Patton, Joe Philbin, Stefan Ratchford, Matty Smith, Lama Tasi, Ben Westwood.

Just now, Dave T said:

Wire squad: Sitaleki Akauola, Daryl Clark, Jason Clark, Mike Cooper, Ben Currie, Matt Davis, Bryson Goodwin, Chris Hill, Toby King, Tom Lineham, Harvey Livett, Jake Mamo, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Declan Patton, Joe Philbin, Stefan Ratchford, Matty Smith, Lama Tasi, Ben Westwood.

Thanks for that - It looks like quite a strong squad, so should hopefully be a great contest.

Just have to see if Wire will have one eye on next week!

On 14/08/2019 at 14:49, fieldofclothofgold said:

Wigan are the form team they will win this by 14 and if wouldn't surprise me if they won the title 

Couldn’t agree more. Wigans ‘ defence is excellent and they can either grind a win out or do it in style with their strike players. I said before the season started that Dec Patton unfortunately wasn’t the answer if we wanted to win things. He gets a lot of unfair stick in my opinion— Wire should have moved quickly to replace Brown immediately after his injury, leaving Patton as a decent interchange. Apart from the glaring half back situation, our indiscipline seems to have worsened over the last few weeks and months costing us dearly. Lineham and Charnley have been starved of decent try scoring opportunities and if a team can slow down the play the balls we really struggle to create chances. There are still quality players on the roster but at the minute, I can’t see where our next win is coming from. The only glimmer for me is the return of Ratchford who is definitely one of the best fullbacks in the competition. Now the Wire ✌️

Well I think that Wigan will be right in their face, unlike Leeds who were only interested in tick and pass. A good run out and training session for Saints last night. Halifax gave Saints a better game.

Good luck to Wire tonight (and next week) but I hope they will need it.  Wigan should let Wire know they have been in a game, even if they lose it. 

I will be fascinated to see how Partington, Smithies and Byrne get on. With Havard in the wings these young lads have been a shining light for us this year.

Having gone into the year a big lad down (according to Lam), we have lost Hamlin and Tautai (through their own fault), with Bullock and Flower injured. So, leaving aside current form and Wembley, you would expect Wire to run through us with all their big guns and Clark to run off them. And yet they seem to have stepped up. If they can avoid being over run then our prospects for the years ahead will be very rosy. Even if they crack, they will learn a lot from some of the best in the business. 

Archived