16 Aug: SL: Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/19 at 18:45

5 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

As for the halves? What do you do?

If Austin isn't fit, might as well get Wolfie to pull a fan's name out of the hat on Twitter mid-week.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Yeah thats who I was thinking of. I think there was a game were Peacock went after him and to his credit he didn’t give an inch. Be interesting to see how these lads react when it happens. 

I'd say Bateman got the better of Peacock in that game.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Morgan Smithies is almost scaringly good for an 18 year-old.

How good is he going to get?!

The three best performances I have seen from an English Academy forward have been James Graham against the Australian Institute of Sport when he was 17 and George Burgess and Morgan Smithies against the Australian Schoolboys. 

All three were physically totally dominant against their Australian opponents.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Wire put a bit more effort into it in the second half down mainly to Philbin and BMM, pity their props were missing in action and the self imposed handicap of Smith, honestly they would be better playing Westwood in the halves. Wigan not as impressive when they were stood up to then, they still look clunky but other than Saints who doesn't.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

The three best performances I have seen from an English Academy forward have been James Graham against the Australian Institute of Sport when he was 17 and George Burgess and Morgan Smithies against the Australian Schoolboys. 

All three were physically totally dominant against their Australian opponents.

Smithies is still growing. But to add to that he would need to some football scales... But he has the right attitude, the right stuff, so it's a good start.  James Graham was and is fabulous.

We put that game to bed very well indeed. Our young pack stood up superbly, Thaler must take credit for giving us so much defensive work practice. If he could find a reason for a penalty/knock on/sin bin/forward pass he swung into action (he saw nothing with the QB effort for their consolation, natch). You know the ref has reffed one team when not even JB can find a reason to criticise him. 

That sort of controlled defence wins championships. This is turning into a renaissance season for us.  Partington, Smithies, Byrne and Havard will be the back bone of a glorious Wigan pack for a long time to come. That investment in youth (and nicking Yorkshire’s finest in Smithies’ case) over so many years looks like paying dividends. Oh, and I like the look of French. He has something of the Amos Roberts about him. 

All that said, we haven’t won any key games yet this year. While we beat FC, that was the Thursday after the semi. While we beat Wire, that was after they have been decimated by injuries to Charnley and Austin, and with more than half an eye on Wembley. They are still a fine team, and will have some good nights before the year is run. 

8 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Big teams win Grand Finals. 

Didn't you lose five consecutive finals and the last one you won was because ben flower had a brain explosion after five minutes, such arrogance is what I expect from saints fans. 

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Didn't you lose five consecutive finals and the last one you won was because ben flower had a brain explosion after five minutes, such arrogance is what I expect from saints fans. 

Saints and Wigan have an identical record in Grand Finals; both have won 5 of 10 appearances. Warrington however have lost the 4 that they have managed to get to.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

14 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

The last one you won was 1955. Nobody remembers how you won. 

Bit rude. We know how proud you are of your statue of, *checks notes*, Keiron Cunningham, but down at Warrington you will find statues and history boards celebrating great Warrington players and teams from across our history.

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

Saints and Wigan have an identical record in Grand Finals; both have won 5 of 10 appearances. Warrington however have lost the 4 that they have managed to get to.

Super League Grand Finals, yes. I am surprised you think rugby started in 1996.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

Super League Grand Finals, yes. I am surprised you think rugby started in 1996.

I don't; Wigan have a long, proud history of winning, well just about everything many, many times over prior to 1996 which I'm always happy to discuss. However, my post was in response to another post discussing the current structure of Grand Final appearances/wins. 

Off topic a bit, but Wigan Reserves just beat Storm 22-18 at Melbourne,  after having 2 yellow cards and being 18-0 at half time!  They will be quite useful when Williams joins them.   Even though Hodgeson made 3 clear errors, everything came from him, let's hope he is on form for "GB".

15 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

High tackles can be first contact with the neck area and ride up to the head. This was direct contact to the head. Fair call

Why should contact with the neck be deemed less than with the head, the neck is even more vulnerable (soft tissue as opposed to hard bone) and the fact the head can be jarred due to contact with the neck as well means you're also producing micro shocks to the brain which all add up right? It grinds my gears when I see neck tackles simply ignored, we talk big about player welfare and cleaning up the game but the officials allow time after time illegal 'tackles'/contact that endangers a players well being both short term and long term!

In any case it's up to the tackler to make sure that the way they tackle does not end up making contact with the head, there are of course scenarios where this can be unavoidable e.g. you go to make a tackle around chest height and an attacker dips/slips/is forced down by other contact at the last split second. You not only cannot take that information in quick enough (reaction time) nor can you physically modify your initial movement in that (too) short space of time. Red cards/subsequent bans are given for this yet often fails to take into account the physical limitations of humans in the given situation.

4 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

The last one you won was 1955. Nobody remembers how you won. 

Enjoy wembley you are red hot favourites but all the pressure is on you and non on Warrington.  I mean if you fail in the big game again under Holbrook and all you have too show is 2 hub caps having the best team will count for nothing. 

Archived