15 Aug: SL: Leeds Rhinos v St Helens KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/08/19 at 18:45

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Saints fan, I care. Hopefully the players care too, half-assing your way through a game of RL is a good way to get injured

As for the squad selection, it's one I agree with. We've had a few injuries and some who have been rested recently so it's important those players (Knowles etc) get some game time and freshen up on the combinations. Given how often the squad has been rotated this season I don't think the team is knackered enough to warrant everyone being rested. We'll probably see more left out for the Cas game the week after

Personally I've always been a fan of playing to win and keep up form and momentum in these sort of games. That said if I had any players carrying niggles or knocks I'd rest them. Give them effectively a 2 week break between games to go on holiday (warm weather can do miracles to injuries and recovery). This is what I think Saints have done and that's absolutely fair enough.

I do reckon Leeds could sneak this though.

39 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

The RFL used to fine clubs for playing under strength sides

if a team is picked from within the first team squad can it actually be said to be understrength . that would imply that those players should not be in the squad at all

1 hour ago, Rhinoferg said:

The RFL used to fine clubs for playing under strength sides

They replaced that requirement with the teams needing to name their 19 man match day squad 48 Hrs in advance.

Now clubs only get fined of they add players not in the original 19 without certified medical certificates for the players being replaced.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, paul hicks said:

if a team is picked from within the first team squad can it actually be said to be understrength . that would imply that those players should not be in the squad at all

This was of course a long time ago, probably changed the rules after Wigan got done for playing a second string side at Odsal.

3 hours ago, Moove said:

As a Saints fan, I care. Hopefully the players care too, half-assing your way through a game of RL is a good way to get injured

As for the squad selection, it's one I agree with. We've had a few injuries and some who have been rested recently so it's important those players (Knowles etc) get some game time and freshen up on the combinations. Given how often the squad has been rotated this season I don't think the team is knackered enough to warrant everyone being rested. We'll probably see more left out for the Cas game the week after

I agree...

also it reminds me of the coach complaining about people want to see the best, when complaining about Sky change of TV game.  It says a lot about who cares about the paying public... not seeing the best teams playing and making the sport attractive to media.

Never-the-less given the league positions he can do as he wishes given no need to win any ordinary league games.

20 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Saints have Coote, Makinson, Walmsley, Roby, Knowles, LMS and Paulo missing from our top 17 today. Are we putting the comp into disrepute again?

No its a squad, every team as them, up to the coach who he chooses to play. 

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Great to see Leeds offloading with impunity. May not be percentage rugby but it is entertaining.

The match is a bit messy, but neither side is playing conservative Rugby.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, dkw said:

What a step by grace. Enjoying this game, just shows how good it can be when the teams keep a clean tackle with no messing around. Well refereed too. 

Percival's pass to Grace is worth a mention, too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived