'Out of Your League' & RL's online presence

I've been banging on for a very long time about RL's online presence and how important it is to have content available to the masses that can draw casual audiences into the sport. It's not just about creating content for RL fans it's critical that it's created in a way which is appealing to people that know nothing or very little about RL. RL still has a lot more to do to broaden its online profile but I think the 'Out of Your League' show in video format on Youtube is a step in the right direction.

The Joe Rogan Experience really is the benchmark for online discussion programmes and that is produced in a very slick way and it gets tons of views. I also find it interesting and innovative that Joe Rogans show is cross format that means that he has general discussion shows around current affairs but then he has MMA only shows. As someone that despises MMA I've surprisingly found myself watching some of those shows and this is where RL can think out of the box in broadening its appeal.

I watched 'Out of Your League' on YouTube for the first time yesterday and for the first time in a long time I was engaged by RL content around Zak Hardaker's and Dan Sarginson's off field challenges it was interesting to get that insight around Zak's drug testing period which I didn't know before and info that's not really put out there for public consumption. Although it's not as slick as Joe Rogan its a step in the right direction and not far off I'd love to see more of it. 

My suggestions for improving the show and getting more visibility online would be: 

- Use headlines for each video that capture peoples attention. You see this in a lot of vlogs and is basically called click bait. Big headlines in big bold letters. 

- The show should have it's own YouTube channel and not be restricted to just being on a RL channel. It needs to build it's own brand and audience regardless of whether that audience are paying RL customers. 

- Extract clips 5-10 minute clips out of the show that can be shared on social media. In the same way that Joe Rogan does. Viewers don't always have the time to view one hour's content but will watch a quick clip with a captivating headline on their way to work or when their queuing up in the bank. 

- The backdrop of the show is really good but more improvements can be made in terms of camera angles, sound and presentation 

1 hour ago, Moove said:

Just started watching one of those Out of Your League episodes after seeing this thread. It's ace, can't believe I haven't heard of this before

It is the first I've heard of it too, and I'll be giving it a watch later, assuming my internet connection doesn't go to pot like it did yesterday.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am about 10 minutes into the episode linked above. This is good. Nice especially to see a relaxed attitude from the players, rather than the slightly uncomfortable attitude you see so often.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

53 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

The only negative is the fact that the host has a baseball cap covering his whole face which I find odd. Asides from that I thought he was very good 

It is because its recorded as a podcast rather than a channel.

Check this out, much the same but with a bit more daft banter...

Same 3 presenters Perry, Wilkin and Flanagan but with various guests

https://whippetsandflatcaps.podbean.com/

I just watched episode 2, the GB Lions special. I enjoyed it. I like Jon Wilkin a lot from BBC etc. and I thought Gildart was great

Obviously I've only seen one episode, but I would make an observation that it did seem like a lot of enthusiasm (which is good), but I did feel myself wanting a fact checker in there too.

For example, it annoyed me a bit when Mark Flanagan spoke unchallenged about how Great Britain used to sell out Wembley and suggesting that England might not be able to. It was rose tinted spectacles stuff.

We didn't used to sell out Wembley for GB. For a start, we hardly ever played there anyway. We got close in 1992 for the one off World Cup final (73000 out of 78000 ish capacity?), but 1990 was about 54000 and 1994 was 57000 for Ashes. 1993 was only 36000 for New Zealand. 1997 GB v Australia Super League was 41000.

I like passion, but let's not just talk from emotion and false memories. I'm all in favour of finding a place for GB in rugby league, but let's not act as if bringing back GB is a sure fire way to fill out Wembley whenever we want to. A quick look at the figures from the past 15 to 20 years and the reality is that there's virtually no difference between support for GB and support for England. Which isn't surprising given that it's mostly the same set of fans, whichever team it is.

Overall though, I really liked the show and I will definitely be watching more of them. Thanks to The Daddy for starting the thread and alerting me to it.

9 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I just watched episode 2, the GB Lions special. I enjoyed it. I like Jon Wilkin a lot from BBC etc. and I thought Gildart was great

Obviously I've only seen one episode, but I would make an observation that it did seem like a lot of enthusiasm (which is good), but I did feel myself wanting a fact checker in there too.

For example, it annoyed me a bit when Mark Flanagan spoke unchallenged about how Great Britain used to sell out Wembley and suggesting that England might not be able to. It was rose tinted spectacles stuff.

We didn't used to sell out Wembley for GB. For a start, we hardly ever played there anyway. We got close in 1992 for the one off World Cup final (73000 out of 78000 ish capacity?), but 1990 was about 54000 and 1994 was 57000 for Ashes. 1993 was only 36000 for New Zealand. 1997 GB v Australia Super League was 41000.

I like passion, but let's not just talk from emotion and false memories. I'm all in favour of finding a place for GB in rugby league, but let's not act as if bringing back GB is a sure fire way to fill out Wembley whenever we want to. A quick look at the figures from the past 15 to 20 years and the reality is that there's virtually no difference between support for GB and support for England. Which isn't surprising given that it's mostly the same set of fans, whichever team it is.

Overall though, I really liked the show and I will definitely be watching more of them. Thanks to The Daddy for starting the thread and alerting me to it.

I'm with you on that. That whole segment about GB being a huge institution and selling out Wembley every year was absolutely not true. In its last few games in its previous guise GB got 13,000 against NZ in Blackburn and 10,000 in Watford. Hardly a success and these attendances have easily been eclipsed by recent test series against NZ where the England brand was used. 

5 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I'm with you on that. That whole segment about GB being a huge institution and selling out Wembley every year was absolutely not true. In its last few games in its previous guise GB got 13,000 against NZ in Blackburn and 10,000 in Watford. Hardly a success and these attendances have easily been eclipsed by recent test series against NZ where the England brand was used. 

Same across the board with all Rugby League.

Attendances in general for English RL are on the whole on average better than any time in the past 30 years for most teams. Wigan averaged about 8000 at Central Park in 96/97

10 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

This is where I think BackChat could come into its own as a much more debate and perhaps even more confrontational show like 'The Debate' for example. Have someone there who do directly disagree with eachother on a topic and a sort of moderator to keep it on track.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

This is where I think BackChat could come into its own as a much more debate and perhaps even more confrontational show like 'The Debate' for example. Have someone there who do directly disagree with eachother on a topic and a sort of moderator to keep it on track.

agree, but not with the current chairperson/moderator... he needs some learning to greatly improve but at least he's having a go... 

24 minutes ago, redjonn said:

agree, but not with the current chairperson/moderator... he needs some learning to greatly improve but at least he's having a go... 

I quite like him to be honest, regardless I think that more adversarial style is a niche in the market currently. A lot of RL content seems to be about how we all agree - probably only Gary Schofield comes out with anything particularly out there. And those with the same views seem to congregate on the same shows, hence why the GB rose tinted love in was not called out in the Out of your League episode for example.

Archived