Relegation battle

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping it goes down to the very last game for all sorts of reasons none of which are because I wish any of the clubs and their fans to be relegated.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I'm backing London to win one of their next 3. So if Wakefield don't beat Hull KR then I think Wakefield v London on the last day will effectively be a relegation decider. However, if Wakefield do beat Hull KR, then the KR v London game could turn into a relegation decider.

Leeds are safe, and I have a feeling Huddersfield will turn Cas over this week to make themselves all but safe.

On balance I am still going for London to be relegated, but this week will be interesting. If they heat Catalans then the cat is seriously amongst the pigeons.

If London had a bit more quality about them I would back them as their run-in is pretty decent but I'm not sure how that pressure is going to apply. If they can win one of the next two I think they'll do it. Sadly I don't think they will and Wakey will avoid the drop by the skin of their teeth.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

I said halfway through the season that if Hull KR, Leeds and London were still at the bottom but in touching distance I'd doubt they'd go down. These 3 teams have been scrapping for points all season and in the crunch games I can see them picking up points. London particularly can almost play without fear in these final few games. I can see London beating Catalans, losing to Leeds but then beating 1 of KR or Wakefield.

Wakefield and Huddersfield I do fear for as they've forgotten how to win it seems. Whilst the other 3 have been scrapping for points all year Wakey and Hudds have been going well and then totally collapsed. Its going to be very tight to see whether that collapse allows London to overtake one of them. 

The Wakey KR game next week is HUGE as are all of London's final 4. With results going a certain way KR could get relegated by Salford AGAIN. Its certainly nail biting stuff

I can see London doing enough points to finish on equal points with at least one of the teams above them but with their negative for and against and no draws this year they will have to finish 2 points above bottom to be safe and realistically that is too big an ask.

Which is disappointing as they have exceeded all expectations this year and are a really gusty, well coached team.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I have been watching wakey for years. In the SL era this wakey squad is the most rudderless I have seen. There are some good players but tactics and team selection are shockingly bad. Unless there are some major changes I really cant see them winning another game. So if the other three take their chances then Wakey are down.

As an aside, if there had been a middle 8 This season ,then Wakey would be definitely down as their form would not even be good enough to make 5TH

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

4 games to go. The biggest game there is probably London v Leeds

A5A1406D-EDC8-491A-BD20-9D99883CD60A.jpeg

Id say the Wakefield v London game could be the most important 

Having said that I’ve got a strange feeling Trinity might shock a few and beat Hull KR this weekend 

Leeds with their points difference SHOULD be safe but theyre not out of it just yet, beat Saints tomorrow and I think were fine as wakefield, KR and London all play each other so will take points of each other

If London won all or x3 their remaining games then they will have done well to confound opinions and deserve to stay up

Never-the-less those opinions have been reasonably accurate, as if Saints hadn't done them "favours" they would be at least x4 points less (defo x2 points given the last saints game was more or less the academy team plus) and hence deserve to be relegated - they would be 6 points less than the next team.  That is the predictions would have  been correct.

As it is Saints have made the relegation battle more interesting and any one of five could still go down.

London are going down.

And no shame in that at all. A lot more competitive throughout the season than anyone could have anticipated.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Think it's going to be London, they might beat Wakey in the last game but points difference will finish them off. I wouldn't be suprised if Trinity and Shuddersford lose all their remaining games, they both look abysmal so it won't be the worst team that goes down either. Trinity sealed their fate when they signed Brough which was always going to turn out badly meanwhile the Giants probably thought getting shot of him would improve things but then made some really poor signings leaving them lacking in quality and having to rely on kids just not up to the task in hand.

I think 20pts will probably be safety (maybe only London would struggle with this with pts/diff). Wakey v HKR this weekend is a big game, I think the winner is probably safe.

On balance I think London will go down, but would love them to stay up with a last game of the season victory!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

4 hours ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

I would have loved the Broncos to have stayed in SL, but I don't feel David Hughes has invested anywhere enough funds into marketing the club.

David Hughes has invested what he could afford.

He's asked for partners to invest in the club, but nobody has come forward.

Without David Hughes there is no London Broncos

6 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

David Hughes has invested what he could afford.

He's asked for partners to invest in the club, but nobody has come forward.

Without David Hughes there is no London Broncos

Correct, though I am a critic of our benefactor, he is the only one draining his retirement fund to keep the club, and it's impressiove junior structure, going. There has abeen a lot of smoke and mirrors in the press about potential club owners but you have to recognise a media beat up when you see it.

I can however see London becoming a yo-yo club if they come down because I do see London being definately in the mix for promotion next year if they go down - Too good for the Championship but not good enough for Super League.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

12 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I can see London doing enough points to finish on equal points with at least one of the teams above them but with their negative for and against and no draws this year they will have to finish 2 points above bottom to be safe and realistically that is too big an ask.

Which is disappointing as they have exceeded all expectations this year and are a really gusty, well coached team.

That last statement typifies the British way of expressing the desire for the underdog to do well, as we stand at the moment London are a win worse than any other team in the league they have an inferior points difference to any other team in the league, so are those above London who have performed better up to date results wise not deserving of the same accolades, you can bet their fans would like to think so.

I have nothing against London whatsoever in fact they have given me immense pleasure watching them this season, and probably no more so than their final game of last season, but I honestly don't get this we need London in SL approach, yes the area has given us some good player's in the recent past but if that is a criteria for SL membership then compare little Dewsbury for example look at the players that small place has produced including 4 present England player's and compare the demographics, attendance wise London are behind all the other SL teams and their home ground facilities compare no better than the anger Wakefield/Castleford's venue's create amongst supporters of other club's.

So all in all, if London Bronco's were an M62 corridor club with their same venue, support base and player production, they most probably would not be thought of any better than many other clubs who recieve derision from many quarters for their mere existence, and does anyone really believe that after near 40 years of existance they are suddenly going to have the hoped for massive upturn in popularity in their part of the country, I don't. 

I apoligise to any London supporter if I have upset them, but I am saying it the way I feel.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That last statement typifies the British way of expressing the desire for the underdog to do well, as we stand at the moment London are a win worse than any other team in the league they have an inferior points difference to any other team in the league, so are those above London who have performed better up to date results wise not deserving of the same accolades, you can bet their fans would like to think so.

Your description is absolutist in nature.  Yes, London are one win worse that all the other Super League teams and quite a lot of wins worse than those at the top.

But my point was not absolutist.  My point was that London have exceeded expectations.

From memory (and I am sure I will find plenty of evidence if I search through the posts from 9 month ago) many people thought that London were going to be way off the pace and cannon fodder for Super League teams.  London are bottom of the table yes but they have had a better season than the vast vast majority of us expected.

London are below Leeds in the table but I think it is not very controversial to describe the London season as exceeding expectations and the Leeds season as not meeting expectations.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Your description is absolutist in nature.  Yes, London are one win worse that all the other Super League teams and quite a lot of wins worse than those at the top.

But my point was not absolutist.  My point was that London have exceeded expectations.

From memory (and I am sure I will find plenty of evidence if I search through the posts from 9 month ago) many people thought that London were going to be way off the pace and cannon fodder for Super League teams.  London are bottom of the table yes but they have had a better season than the vast vast majority of us expected.

London are below Leeds in the table but I think it is not very controversial to describe the London season as exceeding expectations and the Leeds season as not meeting expectations.

People were definitely comparing 2019 Broncos with 2014 Broncos and saying they’d get a similar amount of points. 

51 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

if London Bronco's were an M62 corridor club with their same venue, support base and player production,

Thing is though Harry they aren't. Their USP to the League is they are the most successful modern non M62 club and they are the only English top flight team based outside that Northern Heartland. 

Fev for example coming up changes nothing in terms of local interest, media spread etc: the Wakefield Express will still cover them basically how they do now and little will change beyond that. London get reports etc in the Evening standard that would largely not exist were they not in the top flight. They are the focal point for almost all RL south of Sheffield which kind of makes them a big deal in my eyes at least. That doesn't mean they're perfect, far from it, but strategically they are important as Brisbane Broncos and Melbourne Storm are for the NRL. 

I can see London beating a woeful at times Catalans side this weekend and then who knows. They have nothing to lose as nobody gives them a chance.

The league loses a lot more if London are relegated than it does if Wakefield or Huddersfield were to be. 

Now that Leeds are all but safe and the conspiracy theorists that were screaming 'they'll announce 14 team league if Leeds go down' have gone quiet, I would say that with how close and competitive the league has been this year there definitely appears to be some merit in looking at 14 teams again. The current 12 and any 2 of the top 4 sides in the Championship could be competitive in an expanded SL IMO. 

28 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

The league loses a lot more if London are relegated than it does if Wakefield or Huddersfield were to be. 

Now that Leeds are all but safe and the conspiracy theorists that were screaming 'they'll announce 14 team league if Leeds go down' have gone quiet, I would say that with how close and competitive the league has been this year there definitely appears to be some merit in looking at 14 teams again. The current 12 and any 2 of the top 4 sides in the Championship could be competitive in an expanded SL IMO. 

Totally agree, however there are four or maybe five clubs who think the financial share of the cake should be even bigger. They would prefer a 10 way cut or even an 8 way cut. 

Archived