Relegation battle

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

They were if they finished bottom. They won’t finish bottom so they won’t go down. That’s how it works. 

I bet you anything Leeds would not have gone down, Gary Hetherington would have seen to that. Anyway its irrelevant now they got enough points to stay up. 

5 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

I bet you anything Leeds would not have gone down, Gary Hetherington would have seen to that. Anyway its irrelevant now they got enough points to stay up. 

Gary Hetherington was a rather vocal opponent of the “new” Super League headed up by Robert Elstone, there’s absolutely no way Elstone would have bent over backwards to keep Leeds in Super League. 

21 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Fair enough Chris but by form, TO have lost to Halifax, Sheffield and Swinton this year.  With respect to those teams TO should be winning convincingly especially at home.  Bradford beat them at home too with a team that’s just been promoted from Div 1.

We have to factor in the intensity of SL taking it out on squads.  TO have a fairly young side (ave age circa 26) but imo don’t have the quality just yet.

Yes, London.  The overall result is they’re bottom.  I’d love them to stay up but I don’t think they really committed to staying up with recruitment.

Edit: I thought Fax beat them but they didn’t.

You have some really valid points, especially the intensity one. I do believe you are right, they are signing players within their means now - which is the right way to go for them. Especially if they are investing in the youth structure - the right way to go.

Maybe I didn't explain my self properly - what I'm getting at is the standard of the championship has grown considerably over the last 10 years and there's now a lesser chance imo of a YO YO effect

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

20 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I disagree with your good self Chris, and I am a fan of as we stand today the Championships highest placed English club I would suggest any 4 sides in the Championship would require 6 maybe 8 signings of SL capable player's to acheive mid table of the SL and that includes Toronto.

Having an equal funding will not nessacarilly enable one team to find all the player's they will require in the short time from securing promotion to the start of the next season, if 2 clubs are promoted sourcing the required playing roster would be more than twice as hard, Leigh were that club in 2017 they spent up to the cap level and wether it was a combination of the of the right players available or the wrong choice they were not good enough to secure SL status, let me ask you a simple question if Saints lost most of their team at the end of the season do you think they could recruit and replace a team anywhere near as good in a 4 month period?

Are you a supporter of a Championship club Chris? I think the quality of the rugby on show is every bit as good as SL it is not as stereotypical, but even the best (your top 4) would not beat the clubs from SL with anything like enough regulatory to avoid a season long relegation battle. 

I think I had my "really positive hat" on when I posted my message and your points are 100% valid. I wouldn't expect them to match the top 4, but in years gone by the bottom half of Super League have really "pumped" Championship clubs. 

London have really battled well against the lower half of the league teams - but as a poster has stated elsewhere the intensity each week makes it harder. 

Yes, I am a supporter of a championship club - Featherstone and I do have (soon to be) family play for Sheffield. 

The play offs are going to be an exciting affair, in which all teams will be confident that they can knock each other off their perch. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Archived