Leeds to form Guard of Honour for Saints

Just like Ronseal this title does what it says on the tin. 

Having already secured the LLS last week Saints will walk out to a guard of honour from the Rhinos tonight according to reports. 

Exactly the sort of sporting gesture we like to see both in this country and in this sport. Though I'm sure those who agreed with Toronto being booed at Widnes won't agree.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/leeds-to-form-guard-of-honour-for-st-helens-21786/

I think this may be the start of a campaign of "respect the opposition".

Things lately have been getting totally out of hand.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Honestly thought this was from the premier league

Tom, it was a comment regarding respecting the place kicker at a penalty or conversion kick.

57 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

The fact that they had to mention the guard of honour was PR, if the game wasn't on Sky then it probably wouldn't have been mentioned as much, yes it was a touch of class but it's nothing new in rugby, we used to do it when I played at junior level for an amateur club,and it is the norm as far I am concerned. 

Unfortunately rugby league is on it's bum at the moment with attendances down and it will take more than a guard of honour to sort it out.

We always clapped teams off the pitch at junior level but never on to it. 

I don't even think its massive PR I think its just a touch of class and a mark of respect to by far the best team in the league this year.

I genuinely don't think it has anything to do with attendance and Leeds weren't trying to sell it that way at all so don't know what point you're making there?

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

We always clapped teams off the pitch at junior level but never on to it. 

I don't even think its massive PR I think its just a touch of class and a mark of respect to by far the best team in the league this year.

I genuinely don't think it has anything to do with attendance and Leeds weren't trying to sell it that way at all so don't know what point you're making there?

SKy were the ones selling it, and I think somebody said it was mentioned in the program? 

10 hours ago, Rhinoferg said:

Unfortunately rugby league is on it's bum at the moment with attendances down

Based on what evidence?

Or are you just whinging because Leeds are having another cr8p season?

Half empty grounds isn't enough to tell you that the game is going backwards? Despite on field results Leeds remain the highest average gate with just over 12,500, I remember when you couldn't get a seat (or room to stand) in some grounds. 

There needs to be more done to promote the game and given the amount of technology around these days to spread the word,it seems that we are 20 years behind.

12 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

I remember when you couldn't get a seat (or room to stand) in some grounds.

No you don't. That has literally, and unfortunately, never been a problem in British Rugby League.

Leeds 14 Wigan 21 can't remember what year it was but that season I can remember a few games at Headingley out where it was a full house and you couldn't swap ends at half time like I used to do. Also old Central Park was usually full when big games were involved. In fact usually when the top 2 or local derbies were involved you had full houses. 

1 hour ago, Rhinoferg said:

Leeds 14 Wigan 21 can't remember what year it was but that season I can remember a few games at Headingley out where it was a full house and you couldn't swap ends at half time like I used to do. Also old Central Park was usually full when big games were involved. In fact usually when the top 2 or local derbies were involved you had full houses. 

The only time tickets haven't been available on the day for a Leeds home game since 1990 (other than for WCC and ignoring last season) was the 1998 home league game when capacity was limited to 18,000. It just hardly ever happens. I think you are (being charitable) misremembering events - being unable to change ends was a sign of a big crowd but not of a sellout.

31 minutes ago, M j M said:

The only time tickets haven't been available on the day for a Leeds home game since 1990 (other than for WCC and ignoring last season) was the 1998 home league game when capacity was limited to 18,000. It just hardly ever happens. I think you are (being charitable) misremembering events - being unable to change ends was a sign of a big crowd but not of a sellout.

Whatever

Archived