Who would you pick for the Great Britain touring team?

It is tough to find quality backs. Of course the forwards are very impressive, since so many of them are killing it in the NRL. Here is my 26 man team pick:

Johnny Lomax

Tommy  Makinson, Mark Percival, Jake Connor, Ryan Hall 

Blake Austin, Gareth Widdop,

Sam Burgess

John Bateman, Elliot Whitehead

James Graham, Josh Hodgson, Thomas  Burgess.

Interchange: James Roby, George Burgess, Chris Hill, Sean O’Loughlin

Reserves:  Stefan Ratchford, Sam Tomkins, Jermaine McGillvary, Joe Burgess, Oliver Gildart, George Williams, Ben Currie,  Luke Thompson, Alex Walmsley, 

It may be controversial to leave O’Loughlin on the bench. But the back row forwards selected are stars in the NRL, and I am sure that Wayne Bennett will pick them. Blake Austin qualifies as British, and he is at or near the top of the Man of Steel ladder.

I don’t think that there are any Welshmen in my selection.  So perhaps you might have to include Ben Flower. 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

It is tough to find quality backs. Of course the forwards are very impressive, since so many of them are killing it in the NRL. Here is my 26 man team pick:

Johnny Lomax

Sam Burgess

Reserves:  Stefan Ratchford, Sam Tomkins, Jermaine McGillvary, Joe Burgess, Oliver Gildart, George Williams, Ben Currie,  Luke Thompson, Alex Walmsley, 

It may be controversial to leave O’Loughlin on the bench. But the back row forwards selected are stars in the NRL, and I am sure that Wayne Bennett will pick them. Blake Austin qualifies as British, and he is at or near the top of the Man of Steel ladder.

I don’t think that there are any Welshmen in my selection.  So perhaps you might have to include Ben Flower. 

I think Flower is out for a while, but could be wrong.

Is O’Loghlin good enough now after more injuries?  Surely his time  has past.  I don’t think Currie will get a place either or Joe Burgess.

Ive been impressed with Tomkins but not sure of him gelling with either Austin or Widdop.  We already have that cover with Ratchford.  

Liam Watts must be well ahead of most props in metres gained and Griffin would go ok as back/forward utility.

My 26 (in no particular order).

Backs: Coote, Lomax, Ratchford, Widdop, Williams, Austin, Connor, Watkins, Tomkins, Hardaker, Makinson, Grace, Hall, McGillvary.

Forwards: Bateman, Whitehead, Hodgson, Graham, Burgess S, Burgess T, Walmsley,  Thompson, O’Loughlin, Roby, Farrell, Smithies.

Pick players on form as well as proven ability at Test level. The likes of O'Loughlin, McGilvray, Watkins, Hall have been pretty poor this year and in no way have earned a place in the GB team

Ratchford or Coote (not much to choose between them this year)

Makinson

Connor

Percival

Grace

Lomax

Widdop

Walmsley

Roby

Graham

Bateman

Whitehead

Burgess (Sam)

Subs:

Hodgson

Knowles

Thompson

Burgess (Tom)

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I think they have to take a bit of a long term view here. Despite the apparent extra prestige apparently associated with GB, they're not actually playing for any trophies. Next year for England is the Ashes, the year after the World Cup. In that context, I'd overlook a few blokes who seem like they could do with a full off season to get their bodies right, prolong their careers, and rediscover their best: Watkins, McGilvray, O'Loughlin, Roby, Graham and Hall might all be in that category. Similarly, I'd look to take a young player or two in key positions, to learn. Fullback is one position where they need to unearth someone for the next few years - could Walker or Shaul be that guy? A few weeks training under Bennett and alongside Widdop, Lomax, Tomkins might help their development.

12 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Genuine question,as I may have missed it in the flood of info we've had about the tour...but does the tour have broadcast partners yet ???

https://www.rugbyleagueontv.com/ suggests it will all be on the BBC. Whether that means on an actual channel, behind the red button or streaming only, we shall see!

1 hour ago, Hullfan said:

Scott Taylor is an absolute must, he's the best in super league by none

You mean other than Walmsley, Thompson, Watts, Hill, Cooper in SL

Oh and Both Burgess twins and Graham in NRL

So he's probably about 8th best choice for a GB shirt !

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

You mean other than Walmsley, Thompson, Watts, Hill, Cooper in SL

Oh and Both Burgess twins and Graham in NRL

So he's probably about 8th best choice for a GB shirt !

Nah pal he's an absolute meter eater. Surely he's a must. Bennett loves him aswel 

Big choice between Coote and Ratchford for FB. I'd certainly have both in the squad. I don't think Hardaker is there yet.

3/4s and Halves I'd take McGillvary, Grace, Makinson, Hall, Connor, Austin, Williams, Widdop, Gildart, Tomkins, Lomax

Hookers have to be Hodgson and Roby (potential for a third? Clark)

Forwards: 3 Burgeii, Whitehead, Bateman, Walmsley, Thompson, Graham and Taylor

My team for the first test:

Coote

Grace, Connor, Gildart, Makinson

Widdop (if fit, hopefully gets a run out in the nines WC) otherwise Lomax and Austin

Burgess Roby Graham (VC)

Whitehead Bateman

Burgess (C)

Subs Ratchford, Hodgson, Walmsley Thompson/Taylor

27 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Big choice between Coote and Ratchford for FB. I'd certainly have both in the squad. I don't think Hardaker is there yet.

3/4s and Halves I'd take McGillvary, Grace, Makinson, Hall, Connor, Austin, Williams, Widdop, Gildart, Tomkins, Lomax

Hookers have to be Hodgson and Roby (potential for a third? Clark)

Forwards: 3 Burgeii, Whitehead, Bateman, Walmsley, Thompson, Graham and Taylor

My team for the first test:

Coote

Grace, Connor, Gildart, Makinson

Widdop (if fit, hopefully gets a run out in the nines WC) otherwise Lomax and Austin

Burgess Roby Graham (VC)

Whitehead Bateman

Burgess (C)

Subs Ratchford, Hodgson, Walmsley Thompson/Taylor

I thought you might have sneaked Handley in there Tom.

10 hours ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

It's normal and natural that England, Scotland and Wales feed into the national RL team being Great Britain. This simple idea works pretty well in other RL playing nations like Australia for example, where we rarely see NSW take part in international games.
So, for those 'either/or' types, I say 'both/and'. We have England and Great Britain. Both serve a role and England no longer represents the rest of the UK much to the detriment of some.

Great. Though not sure what any of that's got to do with my suggestion that they give a few older players time off, and blood a few younger ones...

22 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Johnny Lomax

Sam Burgess

Ryan Hall! You having a laugh.  

5 hours ago, jim_57 said:

Herbie Farnworth would be worth a squad spot for experience.

I think that'd be a bit of an insult to Super League players. Herbie could be considered for England in the 9s, and should go back to play for the England Knights, but not GB when he isn't even in NRL first grade.

On 16/08/2019 at 07:21, RugbyLeagueMan said:

Jackson Hastings. Has British ancestry. Decent player.

No, and the same with Austen and Coote we have more than enough with Wayne Bennett, they are Australians whichever way you want to describe it they are Australians.

I am spending my hard earned to go and support Great Britain on this tour, I want to walk away from those grounds after British player's win those games, not have someone say to me "you only won because of the Aussies in your team" we have enough British born talent to pick from, we don't need 'Guest' player's or coaches and if we are not good enough, tough, we need to try harder and prepare better. 

84297557.jpeg.69afdb56d5e9e859d588c562c0dd7ff7.jpeg

There is definatley no Green and Gold that I can see in this image!

What the fish is up with all of you guy's who want to play Johnny Foreigner in OUR national team, they have prooved they are not good enough to be selected for their own country,  so you want to welcome them to play for us why do you want someone else's cast offs, have faith, back your own.

Love to see Grace and Knowles in the squad , but Saints might not release them like when they are picked for Wales? 

Hardaker

Makinson 

Connor

Gildart

Grace

Widdop/Williams

Lomax

Watts

Hodgeson

Graham

Bateman

Whitehead