Who would you pick for the Great Britain touring team?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

26-man squad:

Backs:

Coote, Ratchford, Makinson, Hall, McGilvary, Connor, Gildart, Percival, Watkins, Lomax, Widdop, Williams (12)

Forwards:

T Burgess, G Burgess, Walmsley, Thompson, S Burgess, Bateman, Whitehead, Knowles, Currie, Hodgson, Clarke, Watts, Sutton, Roby (14)

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

26-man squad:

Backs:

Coote, Ratchford, Makinson, Hall, McGilvary, Connor, Gildart, Percival, Watkins, Lomax, Widdop, Williams (12)

Forwards:

T Burgess, G Burgess, Walmsley, Thompson, S Burgess, Bateman, Whitehead, Knowles, Currie, Hodgson, Clarke, Watts, Sutton, Roby (14)

Another bit of nepotism with the full back selection, the Aussies will be splitting their sides if he gets selected at the age of 29 being nowhere near Origin or Australian International honours and being over here for less than a season he is deemed good enough to eclipse all our full backs FFS.

50 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Another bit of nepotism with the full back selection, the Aussies will be splitting their sides if he gets selected at the age of 29 being nowhere near Origin or Australian International honours and being over here for less than a season he is deemed good enough to eclipse all our full backs FFS.

Like it or not, Coote qualifies for Scotland and has killed it at SL. He has also won an NRL grand final. The Aussies don't even know this tour is taking place. Neither do most of the RL public here.

59 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Another bit of nepotism with the full back selection

Why are you describing picking Coote as nepotism?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Like it or not, Coote qualifies for Scotland and has killed it at SL.

Coote (and Ratchford) brings the added x-factor in attack that the likes of Evalds, Shaul and Hardaker don't in my opinion; the high quality third pivot. Coote's ball handling skills are excellent (as are Ratchford's) and have been a big factor in Saints' success this season.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

From a Saints supporter who I was answering to yes.

I see. Thanks for the reply. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

But those are all facts. You may not like it but Australia are better than England and therefore it isn't surprising that players who are just below the top level in Australia are at the top level in England.

1 minute ago, damp squib said:

But those are all facts. You may not like it but Australia are better than England and therefore it isn't surprising that players who are just below the top level in Australia are at the top level in England.

Australia also pick New Zealand born Felise Kaufusi, have picked loads of players not born in Australia before, and will continue to do so if they believe they are the best player available.

To suggest they would ridicule us for playing to the same rules as them and everyone else is madness. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I get your general point Harry , but their fullbacks were/ are guys like Slater , Tedesco , Munster , Ponga etc etc . Ours are Lomax and Rashford , and he’s better than them and will most probably be the fullback . He’s eligible , there on merit so I see no problem 

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Australia also pick New Zealand born Felise Kaufusi, have picked loads of players not born in Australia before, and will continue to do so if they believe they are the best player available.

To suggest they would ridicule us for playing to the same rules as them and everyone else is madness. 

Also in Harry's scenario England have won the game.

I think "we won the game" is a pretty good rebuttal to any potential Aussie slaggings.

45 minutes ago, damp squib said:

Maybe but I do not want them in our national team

42 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I get your general point Harry , but their fullbacks were/ are guys like Slater , Tedesco , Munster , Ponga etc etc . Ours are Lomax and Rashford , and he’s better than them and will most probably be the fullback . He’s eligible , there on merit so I see no problem 

So you would be happy with "a win because of" criticism?

Coote, Makinson, Connor, Gildart, Charnley, Lomax, Austin, Graham, Hodgson, Walmsley, Whitehead, Bateman, Burgess. 

Thompson, Clark, Knowles, Currie .

The centres are a tough pick. Bennett doesn’t fancy Percival in defence and the other wing position, Makinson’s is nailed on, is difficult and there’s three or four candidates for that. I wouldn’t pick Roby, he’s had a good year but missed chunks through injury and I’d take Clark and Hodgson instead. 

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

So you would be happy with "a win because of" criticism?

I just want to win . Any sport you like . I’m not thinking archer is from Barbados if he gets a bagful . You’ll always get criticism , usually hypocritical if it’s from the ANZACS , but winning is everything in top level sport . You’re doing nothing wrong , this is how international sport is . 

Starting team

full back Coote 

wings; Hall ,  Makinson

centres; Bateman, Connor

halfbacks; Williams, Widdop 

pack ; Graham, Hodgson, T Burgess, Whitehead, Farrell, S Burgess 

subs Sutton, Roby, walmsley, G Burgess 

"Eh Up, potty mouth. I know life hasn't been kind to you, but there's no need to parade your resentful jealousy on here." JohnM 16th April 2020

39 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

If Coote is picked, the quality of SL must be appalling

The reason we’ve failed against Australia over the last decade is our lack of quality at Fullback,halfback and centre so it will be no surprise if Bennett picks the likes of Coote,Hastings & Austin at least they are a step up from McQueen & Heighinton.

4 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

26-man squad:

Backs:

Forwards:

So my team first choice from that squad would be:

1. Coote 2. Makinson 3. Connor 4. Gildart 5. Hall 6. Lomax 7. Widdop

8. Thompson 9. Roby 10. T Burgess 11. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. S Burgess

Subs: 14. Walmsley 15.Watts 16. Currie 17. Clarke

I've chosen to not pick Graham, Hill or O'Loughlin due to looking forward to the WC in 2021 and players coming through who are just as good now; Roby however, remains as he's still the best we have. Watkins is not fit yet. Watts is top draw in my opinion and deserves a chance to prove himself.

Young Walker at Leeds is a mid-term option (2021?) for full back but the early signs are Welsby could be a cracker and the long term option.

4 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

So my team first choice from that squad would be:

1. Coote 2. Makinson 3. Connor 4. Gildart 5. Hall 6. Lomax 7. Widdop

8. Thompson 9. Roby 10. T Burgess 11. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. S Burgess

Subs: 14. Walmsley 15.Watts 16. Currie 17. Clarke

I've chosen to not pick Graham, Hill or O'Loughlin due to looking forward to the WC in 2021 and players coming through who are just as good now; Roby however, remains as he's still the best we have. Watkins is not fit yet. Watts is top draw in my opinion and deserves a chance to prove himself.

Young Walker at Leeds is a mid-term option (2021?) for full back but the early signs are Welsby could be a cracker and the long term option.

Yep I was right, full of nepotism, put another way looking after your own. 

41 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yep I was right, full of nepotism, put another way looking after your own. 

I'm no Saints fan but I don't think picking Makinson, Lomax, Thompson, Roby and Walmsley in a GB 17 is controversial. For me, they are all very good players and certainly deserve a place.

Which of these would you not select?

He selected Gildart and Connor in the centres rather than Percival which I think shows he hasn't just picked Saints players as a default. 

There is only Coote at full back that could be described as favouritism for Saints but plenty of non Saints fans have him in their GB 17.

Archived