Thorman

Callum Linford 98

55 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

I like Charlo and he done a decent job at Town but he probably had a better squad of players than he has with haven so all credit to what he's done this season. Let's not forget that when he lost his assistant coach Oggy he resigned after losing our first home game. Haven are nailed on to go up now and as a Town fan I have mixed feelings about it. Unlike York last year who had 2 great seasons building up to winning the league and got promoted with a strong foundation under them haven haven't got thid. I expected them to struggle this year but they've amazed us all, but I'm afraid that team would need a major overhaul to compete in league one, IMO they only have a handful of players who could hack it at that level, it could turn into a disaster for them. You have had 3 crowds over a thousand this year on the back of being top for most of the season those crowds will plummet if you start getting beat week in week out. You only have to look at Town and Havens crowd figures when we were both in a higher league they were worse than our Championship 1 figures. If Town manage to get promoted this season (no chance) we would be in the same boat it could be a disaster for us. I want out of this league like everyone else but only if we are well prepared to compete, and both clubs are miles away from that. If you think being in the championship guarantees higher crowds then you need to look at the likes of Batley, Dewsbury, Swinton, Sheffield and Rochdale, their average crowds are all less tha haven or Town. 

Bit if luck there'll be no relegation next year give us a couple of years to settle. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

I like Charlo and he done a decent job at Town but he probably had a better squad of players than he has with haven so all credit to what he's done this season. Let's not forget that when he lost his assistant coach Oggy he resigned after losing our first home game. Haven are nailed on to go up now and as a Town fan I have mixed feelings about it. Unlike York last year who had 2 great seasons building up to winning the league and got promoted with a strong foundation under them haven haven't got thid. I expected them to struggle this year but they've amazed us all, but I'm afraid that team would need a major overhaul to compete in league one, IMO they only have a handful of players who could hack it at that level, it could turn into a disaster for them. You have had 3 crowds over a thousand this year on the back of being top for most of the season those crowds will plummet if you start getting beat week in week out. You only have to look at Town and Havens crowd figures when we were both in a higher league they were worse than our Championship 1 figures. If Town manage to get promoted this season (no chance) we would be in the same boat it could be a disaster for us. I want out of this league like everyone else but only if we are well prepared to compete, and both clubs are miles away from that. If you think being in the championship guarantees higher crowds then you need to look at the likes of Batley, Dewsbury, Swinton, Sheffield and Rochdale, their average crowds are all less tha haven or Town. 

Good post 

2 hours ago, Egbertnobacon said:

Barrow have had terrible luck with injury’s . They would probably have stayed up otherwise 

RL is a squad game mate. You have to have a squad to  cope with the  championship which doesnt come  cheap . Barrow fans putting it down to lack of fitness resulting in errors and discipline costing them. 

1 hour ago, unicorn106 said:

Nail on the head.  Neither are ready and chucking money at it next season wouldn't be sustainable.

2 hours ago, unicorn106 said:

Fully agree with this, I think its a horrible thing to admit but at the moment both us and Haven are in a situation where we cant afford to stay in this league, but also its unlikely either of us will have the money to survive in the Championship. Its really ###### but thats the reality. Either of us trying to supplement a local squad with the required level of player from Lancashire/Yorkshire will as usual have to pay over the odds, and at the moment theres several Championship clubs who have a hell of a lot more money than us.

3 hours ago, donald said:

Was told on Sunday while drinking my usual 10 cans of dark fruits the 6 amateurs youse are signing.Drink got to me can only remember 4 Karl Dixon Curtis teare , walker taylor and matty Henson the creme de la creme of locals

Damn those dark fruits ? I need to know more ?

1 hour ago, donald said:

Dunno much about Henson but them 3 brow lads are top quality won't have any probs stepping up 

The problem  being 2 of them have said no and 1 hasn't been approached,you might have 1 right though.

On 19/08/2019 at 19:17, town blue said:

The topic of this forum is 'THORMAN' not Rooney or haven. IMO Chris is the best coach we have had since Walsh and we should bust a gut to keep him.

Well said !!

I agree that Thorman is the best we have had since Walshy.

The players just need to buy into what he want's them to do and stick to the game plan and they will reap the rewards.Considering how unfit we were when he took over and the lack of numbers available to him he has worked miracles and he is the first Coach in a long time that in post game interviews has actually watched the same game as me.

Sadly he will not be here next season but he has given us a fighting chance of the playoffs which I for one did not think was achievable when Leon left.

5 hours ago, Davo5 said:

The problem  being 2 of them have said no and 1 hasn't been approached,you might have 1 right though.

I'd take your info as true so if only one coming with IR i hope the CT wanting to stay rumour is true. 

CT - Excellent coach. Very professional and good to listen to. However, I'd imagine he has plans on coaching at the higher levels again following his battles off the field.

Rooney - From a sustainable point of view. I may prefer him, than keeping CT? Only if he has the pulling power to get some of the top amateurs to sign on.

Promotion - Id have fancied Havens chances of staying up if they got the approval for a reserve side. As both teams have seen before, you need a large squad to be able to cope in the championship. Without the any reserve players to call upon they might find it difficult to run with a large squad. Town are in need of a 're-build' regardless of whether we are promoted or not. A lot of the travelling/older players are well rumoured to be on the way out and will be hard to replace. Another year in league 1 may not be a bad thing for town at this stage if a new coach/players are coming in.

That depends on the RL, who knows what structure they will come out with next .  I would much prefer it if the Super League and Championship had more teams in them . making it two leagues , just look at the fixtures now ,how can it make it a level playing field when you play some  teams throughout the season  3 times  ,you could be unlucky to draw Saints  or Wigan while another team could draw say HKR or London , I know  someone will say London beat Saints twice this season ,but the league table doesn't lie .  There talking about fetching a Canadian team into L1 , They stop teams having a reserve team , So out is possible .

We didn't take Rooney as he wanted silly money to take the job.good luck with him hes a cracking coach 

Think you will find the silly money you are talking about is what the club was offering Rooney to recruit new players with for next season, 

1 hour ago, Town utd said:

Clubs got to keep thorman if they want to build and go forward.make him an offer so he wants to stay.

And what if Huddersfield / Hull KR / Wakefield / Leigh Etc come calling mid way through next season? Do you think he'll hang about?

Rooney is my choice . . Build links, Build local, Build a future.

It won't be easy and it's won't be quick but it will be worth it.

56 minutes ago, Town utd said:

Been a long time since super League clubs want are coach,says it all to me, thorman still cutting his teeth in coaching, will do him good to stay with town for a couple of seasons,then take a super League head coaches job?

Even if he was offered an assistant role I think he would take it.

Archived