The Englishmen in Canberra

20 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

What a performance today by Canberra 18-0 v Melbourne to win 18-22. Imagine if they went on to win the grand final with the Fab Four, the Aussies would be spewing in their beer! 

Not so sure about that.  The aussie press has plenty of praise for Bateman, Whitehead and Hodgson most weeks.

Yeah, a bit of a weird post thinking Aussie's wouldn't love it. I'm an Aussie and I think Canberra are my second team this year because of the Poms. It's awesome to see.

new rise.jpg

15 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Don't forget George Williams will be joining them next season. Making them even better

Sezer was poor today for the Raiders and it will be interesting to see if Williams arrival next season improves their attack.

As for the Aussies,the Raiders seem to be the good news story of the year down there with Bateman's performances attracting plenty of praise.

4 hours ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

What a performance today by Canberra 18-0 v Melbourne to win 18-22. Imagine if they went on to win the grand final with the Fab Four, the Aussies would be spewing in their beer! 

The Aussies love them and give them heaps of praise.

Great performance by Canberra today, along with the Englishmen. Hodgson had good and bad moments, but his steal in the last 5 minutes was probably the turning point. Bateman was quiet until the last quarter of the match, but I think he normally performs best in the latter stages. Whitehead was good throughout, great tackles coming in, as well as a lot more offloads today, which I think we haven't seen enough of this season. Sutton was solid, ran the ball in hard for the last part of the match, nothing of note to his performance IMO.

Great win though, Melbourne have never been beaten after going 18-0 up, so very positive from the Green Machine!

Beating Melbourne in Melbourne, after being down 18-0 was a huge achievement for the Green Machine. Hodgson played a key role for Canberra, as he usually does.

Bellamy made a great mistake in leaving on the bench until the last five minutes his dynamo attacking player Ryan Papenhuyzen. The Dutch flyer could have made a difference, but was brought on too late.

11 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Beating Melbourne in Melbourne, after being down 18-0 was a huge achievement for the Green Machine. Hodgson played a key role for Canberra, as he usually does.

Bellamy made a great mistake in leaving on the bench until the last five minutes his dynamo attacking player Ryan Papenhuyzen. The Dutch flyer could have made a difference, but was brought on too late.

Hodgson had a hit and miss game and was trying too hard at times. However, he got it together in that last 20 with a great kick assist and ball steal to set up the last try. Amazing come back from the Raiders. They are playing a style that is so different to other NRL clubs.

41 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Hodgson had a hit and miss game and was trying too hard at times. However, he got it together in that last 20 with a great kick assist and ball steal to set up the last try. Amazing come back from the Raiders. They are playing a style that is so different to other NRL clubs.

I think they like playing a bit more "off-the-cuff" attacking rugby, which I think is a bit different to all the angle runners and pre-planned moves that some teams are used to defending against.

6 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Arguable, to say the least. 

His signing will put pressure on the present Canberra half backs to perform this season and next season. I don't expect him to be in the starting 13 at the beginning of next season unless there are injuries, but he will find himself in the starting 13 on a regular basis some time next season.

I have heard and read nothing but praise for the English contingent at Canberra.

Not only have they been praised for their performances but also their effect on the club through their winning attitude and determination.  Not the kind of stuff you would hear if there was any resentment at all.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

20 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have heard and read nothing but praise for the English contingent at Canberra.

Not only have they been praised for their performances but also their effect on the club through their winning attitude and determination.  Not the kind of stuff you would hear if there was any resentment at all.

Yep completely agree . In fact sometimes I think the 'Pommy' love in deflects from other players in the Canberra side that are having the season of their lives - Croker and Papalii to name but a couple. But overall, the Aus media/pundits absolutely love what these guys bring to the league, which is really refreshing as surely a bi-product of this is more respect for Super League in general. 

25 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

I do wonder what Hodgson's input is in the Raiders' coaching and tactics. He seems very clued up so I'd guess it's significant.  He could be a very good coach in the making.

Very significant . He’s Ricky’s onfield coach , leader and main influence no mistake . You can see it 

On 17/08/2019 at 17:09, Scubby said:

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Very significant . He’s Ricky’s onfield coach , leader and main influence no mistake . You can see it 

thought hodgson had a top game a couple of try assists a 40-20 and the ball steal at the end won them the game.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

2 hours ago, my missus said:

thought hodgson had a top game a couple of try assists a 40-20 and the ball steal at the end won them the game.

I think this is overstating his performance a little.

His one on one steal was critical and his short kick for a try assist for Croker was outstanding.  But he can hardly be credited for a try assist for Papali as it was a simple dummy half pass.

Also, I don't recall him kicking a 40-20 but I may be wrong.

Overall he had some good parts to his game but he also threw a couple of loose passes one of which led to the 3rd try for the Storm.

He has had much better games for the Raiders. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yep completely agree . In fact sometimes I think the 'Pommy' love in deflects from other players in the Canberra side that are having the season of their lives - Croker and Papalii to name but a couple. But overall, the Aus media/pundits absolutely love what these guys bring to the league, which is really refreshing as surely a bi-product of this is more respect for Super League in general. 

Agreed; I really enjoy watching Croker, and Wighton always seems to make things happen when he has a go. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Agreed; I really enjoy watching Croker, and Wighton always seems to make things happen when he has a go. 

And Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad who is rivaling Bateman as the signing of the year.

Archived