Rugby Leagues amazing athletes.

They are super fit athletes. It’s horses for courses. Being super quick and built like a brick house is a requirement for many rugby league players. 

In rugby league you carry a ball tucked under your arm, there is no impediment, so just run fast. For this reason I’d expect many more rugby league players to be faster than footballers, where ball control with your foot means speed alone isn’t enough. A super fast footballer could also be a donkey with the ball at his foot, therefore useless. Remember a Leicester “striker” Ade Akinbiyi...huge physique, lightening quick, but couldn’t control the ball/finish to save his life. With football it’s about marrying pace and ball control, which the best dribblers do. With less weight/body fat I’d expect the footballers to do better in terms of endurance.

Remember that Welsh sprinter who at the age of 29 started playing rugby union. Just googled him, Nigel Walker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Walker

“Get the ball, and run Nigel” would have been the advice from his coach.

Good to see this being given an article, even in that rag.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived