Lance Todd Trophy

Which small ex mining village in West Yorkshire boasts three Lance Todd winners. Who are they?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

2 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Nash and Hobbs from Featherstone, Dooler was from Sharlston, two miles away! All Great Britain Internationals.

The question is open to interpretation lol. I suppose it would then be Fox N, Fox D and Dooler during the 60s and 70s?

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

The question is open to interpretation lol. I suppose it would then be Fox N, Fox D and Dooler during the 60s and 70s?

Yes they were all from Sharlston, so that is the correct answer. Many great players from such a small area.

2 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Yes they were all from Sharlston, so that is the correct answer. Many great players from such a small area.

Sharlston Juniors was a feeder school to the High School I attended. Lots of great rugby players played there. Still do I imagine.

49 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Carl Dooler, Steve Nash and David Hobbs. Featherstone 1967, 73 and 83

Try again

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

17 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

On the same theme I get 8 St. Helens born I bet both Widnes and Wigan will beat that comfortably. 

Don't think Widnes will - I can only think of George Nicholls.

There are three winners from Oldham, two of them are Marc Sneyd.  The other is Kevin Sinfield

Clement Attlee.

4 hours ago, bobbruce said:

On the same theme I get 8 St. Helens born I bet both Widnes and Wigan will beat that comfortably. 

Looking at Wigan winners, Matty Smith, Jeff Lima, Gary Connelly, Jason Robinson, Dean Bell and Martin Offiah, six of the last seven Wigan players to win it, aren’t Wigan born. Radlinski the exception. 

To claim Wigan born is not really comparable with Sharlston born.  To be the same you'd have to say Lower Ince, Higher Ince or Platt Bridge born. Sharlston is part of Wakefield Met, and off hand I can think of 6 other "Wakefield born" Lance Todd winners - Harold Poynton, David Topliss and David Hobbs, Steve Nash, Mal Reilly and Mark Aston.

Clement Attlee.

2 hours ago, Trojan said:

To claim Wigan born is not really comparable with Sharlston born.  To be the same you'd have to say Lower Ince, Higher Ince or Platt Bridge born. Sharlston is part of Wakefield Met, and off hand I can think of 6 other "Wakefield born" Lance Todd winners - Harold Poynton, David Topliss and David Hobbs, Steve Nash, Mal Reilly and Mark Aston.

Mal was born very close to our friends in Barkston Ash.  

Archived