NRL Non Qualified Origin 17

Would this team beat both NSW and Queensland or is the Origin arena too big for them? Was amazed at the sheer quality of players who I couldn't get into that 17 like Andrew Fifita, Joseph Tapine, James Graham, Tom Burgess, Jared WH, Ryan Hall, Daniel Tupou etc.

Looking at squads, it seems like every other new NRL star is a New Zealander brought to an NRL club in his late teens. Seems that a huge wedge of the NRL's best now cannot participate in the pinnacle!

NRL Others

• 1.     Roger Tuivasa Shek
  • 2.     Suliasi Vunivalu
  • 3.     Dean Whare
  • 4.     Joseph Manu
  • 5.     Jordan Rapana
  • 6.     Gareth Widdop
  • 7.     Shaun Johnson
  • 8.     Jessie Bromwich
  • 9.     Josh Hodgson
  • 10.  Nelson Asofa Solomona
  • 11.  John Bateman
  • 12.  Sam Burgess
  • 13.  Jason Taumalolo
  • 14.  Kodi Nikorima
  • 15.  Siosiua Taukeiaho
  • 16.  Tevita Pengai Junior
  • 17.  Elliot Whitehead

Regardless of talent, and it's a debate as to whether your team could match up to the Origin teams, the motivation would just not be there as it is for the NSW and Queensland players. The tribalism makes Origin what it is and has done since game 1.

It still makes for me, the Hull KR defeat of the Queensland origin team in 83 the best club performance against either a rep or NRL side there has been, just shading Wigan in Brisbane and Widnes v Canberra.

6 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Regardless of talent, and it's a debate as to whether your team could match up to the Origin teams, the motivation would just not be there as it is for the NSW and Queensland players. The tribalism makes Origin what it is and has done since game 1.

It still makes for me, the Hull KR defeat of the Queensland origin team in 83 the best club performance against either a rep or NRL side there has been, just shading Wigan in Brisbane and Widnes v Canberra.

Good points, I suppose the wider arguments is that the NRL are desperately trying to keep Origin as the pinnacle but NRL clubs are signing a huge number of Kiwi teenagers and bringing them into their systems. Add to that, English, Fijian and PNG players and the rosters are going to be biased with non-Origin qualified players. If there are 450 roughly squad players each year in the NRL, I would imagine within 5 years more than half of those will be non-Origin qualified players, or players choosing other nations. 

If you had picked all kiwis I would say no but with the inclusion of the Brits I would then say yes.  whitehead would start in any team of mine , he has been awesome of late playing a lot of 80 mins with Bateman and I would also consider charnze nicol-Klokstad who’s the form fullback at the moment and who is virtually indestructible . It would make for fantastic competition.

"Eh Up, potty mouth. I know life hasn't been kind to you, but there's no need to parade your resentful jealousy on here." JohnM 16th April 2020

This team would never and should never play, but it certainly is strong! It's also not surprising that an 'others' team should be so strong, given NZ picks it's side entirely from the NRL (and beat Australia last year), half the England side is out here, and most of the best players from the Tonga, Fiji, PNG and Samoa sides too. Particularly in Australia, a lot of fans tend to forget that (it's a malaise in the media too). That's why I think onthe more level/unpredictable playing field that 9s may offer, the end of year World Cup should be a great showcase to general Aussie fans who don't watch tests of just how much international talent is now in this sport. 

Archived