Race for 2nd

3 minutes ago, redjonn said:

yep, seems odd to me that a team can lose x2 game out of three and yet win that 3rd game and go to the final. A 33% win ratio gets you to the grand final. A 50% win ratio and your the grand final winners.

The team that finishes top (Saints) need at least a 50% win ratio to get to the final. Yet 2nd and 3rd only need a 33%...

Seems crazy to me...

I don't think you  have that right do you? No team can lose 2 games in the playoffs.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, redjonn said:

yep, seems odd to me that a team can lose x2 game out of three and yet win that 3rd game and go to the final. A 33% win ratio gets you to the grand final. A 50% win ratio and your the grand final winners.

The team that finishes top (Saints) need at least a 50% win ratio to get to the final. Yet 2nd and 3rd only need a 33%...

Seems crazy to me...

That would be crazxy but it's also not the case.

The team losing the 2nd v 3rd game in Week 1 will be out if they lose in Week 2

2 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

That would be crazxy but it's also not the case.

The team losing the 2nd v 3rd game in Week 1 will be out if they lose in Week 2

Yep I read it wrong....sorry 

I'll make sure I get enough sleep before studying things

16 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Yep I read it wrong....sorry 

I'll make sure I get enough sleep before studying things

i must admit I am a bit out of touch with the 5 team system now. I always seem to recall it was the fairest, hopefully it will work well again on its return.

25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

i must admit I am a bit out of touch with the 5 team system now. I always seem to recall it was the fairest, hopefully it will work well again on its return.

Unlikely as it will end with Wigan winning the GF ?

On 18/08/2019 at 20:14, Chris22 said:

I reckon

Warrington - 34

Wigan - 34

Hull - 34

Salford - 32

Catalans - 30

Cas - 28

I don't like the looks of Cas run in at all and think they may fade. With Salford's good form and decent run in, I can see the top 5 being wrapped up with a week to spare.

But with the top 5 system rewarding each higher place, there will be a scramble to get as high as possible.

Cas will beat saints.? Week after cup final cant see saints bringing their A game

21 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

10 comments Wellsey, inc two of mine and your answer to me, that makes 7 who are bothered, now have a look at all the comments and various threads that the relegation battle is generating, I consider my opening statement is rather conclusive I'd say.

Yes but most of those are an argument about P&R, but you knew that.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On thread though I've always been interested in who finishes where just not that interested in most of the teams that finish top most of the time.

I like the top 5 is a better way to have the play offs as it does reward where you end up.

I'm more interested now SRD are involved of course.

As for a debate about which is more interesting I suppose that all depends on whether you think the crash or the finish lines are the most intriguing bits of the race.

Which of the other possible top 5 has given Saints most problems and asked most questions might be a thought for who we'd like to finish second.

And as an added thought, it may be emphasis or the language used but on the NRL sight they focus on it as a race for finals places. Which does give the achievement the attention and significance.

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Which of the other possible top 5 has given Saints most problems and asked most questions might be a thought for who we'd like to finish second.

And as an added thought, it may be emphasis or the language used but on the NRL sight they focus on it as a race for finals places. Which does give the achievement the attention and significance.

They don't have anything to discuss about the bottom 

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

Warrington - Thus far, we’ve beaten them quite convincingly twice, they’ve not presented us with any real questions and their key men have been kept quiet. That could all change, of course.

Wigan - Similar to the above, have conceded 32pts to them (an average of 10.66) over the three games we’ve played but they’re one of the form sides at present.

Hull - We’ve scored 100+ against these this year in two games, which suggests we’ve got them on their bad weeks. 

It’s hard to suggest any of the three have offered particular tests for Saints this year but both Wigan and Warrington coming into the final stages of the season have that big game experience that people so often speak of. 

6 hours ago, Oxford said:

Well Catalans are the only one who have beaten them!

They've stuffed everyone else pretty much. Especially Hull. If I were Saints, I'd let Hull finish 2nd ?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Well Catalans are the only one who have beaten them!

They've stuffed everyone else pretty much. Especially Hull. If I were Saints, I'd let Hull finish 2nd ?

It took a controversial (but correctly given IMO) last minute try for Saints to beat Salford at their place - it was close and a great game. It was less close at Salford but by no means a blowout.

On 19/08/2019 at 08:08, Harry Stottle said:

10 comments Wellsey, inc two of mine and your answer to me, that makes 7 who are bothered, now have a look at all the comments and various threads that the relegation battle is generating, I consider my opening statement is rather conclusive I'd say.

Pathetic.  Are we to run a race to the winner of the most comments?  Is that the value of what a thread means.

You are prejudiced and desperate to justify the poverty of your own club.  If you are not interested ignore the thread. 

On 19/08/2019 at 11:37, Harry Stottle said:

Wellsy don't get so uppity, and my initial comment to was also a generalisation of a comparrison on this forum of the relevant interest being generated by what is happening at both ends of the division, quite clearly on the numbers of comments and quotes on both subjects it seems to me that it is quite obvious which is the most popular at this moment in time, when the relegation issue is over and done, then interest will revert to the play offs.

41 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Pathetic.  Are we to run a race to the winner of the most comments?  Is that the value of what a thread means.

Harry, your point just doesn't hold up to scrutiny. 

Unless we believe that the 1895 comp holds more interest than the Challenge Cup Final. Currently 47 posts vs 28 in favour of the 1895 Cup.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Harry, your point just doesn't hold up to scrutiny. 

Unless we believe that the 1895 comp holds more interest than the Challenge Cup Final. Currently 47 posts vs 28 in favour of the 1895 Cup.

I said that the bottom of the SL at this moment in time is creating more interest than the top of SL, on this forum that is true, why 1895 cup?

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I said that the bottom of the SL at this moment in time is creating more interest than the top of SL, on this forum that is true, why 1895 cup?

Because I am applying your logic to those games - more posts = more interest. 

I think we would all agree that there isn't more interest in the 1895 Cup than the Challenge Cup.

On 19/08/2019 at 11:37, Harry Stottle said:

Wellsy don't get so uppity, and my initial comment to was also a generalisation of a comparrison on this forum of the relevant interest being generated by what is happening at both ends of the division

As pointed out, the reaction was based on the fact that it was a comment cr*pping over a thread for no apparent reason and pointing out something irrelevant (and quite ridiculous because it the way you put it). I don't quite understand why you felt the need to post it or what you think it achieved, but I'm glad others agree with me in that there's plenty of interest in it and that your method of coming to your opinion is rather, well... lame.

Back to the thread though, I'm going with Salford as a surprise package in the playoffs. Think they'll get 3rd, Wigan 2nd, Wire 4th and whoever wins between Hull and Cas for the final playoff spot.

Personally, I think we're done for the season, but I've said that plenty of times and been shocked by the response. We've been 3rd for a huge chunk of the season and, as usual, look to be bottling the final stretch.

10 hours ago, Oxford said:

I've put the race for 2nd as all the teams still in the race for the playoffs can reach 2nd. There's 2 points between 2nd and 6th. Technically Catalans can still make it also (who are 4 points behind), but I doubt it.

I'd have thought it would be better to get to 2nd than just be in the playoffs!

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Because I am applying your logic to those games - more posts = more interest. 

I think we would all agree that there isn't more interest in the 1895 Cup than the Challenge Cup.

Oh , I don't know , we know who's winning the Challenge Cup , and it ain't Wire , the 1895 Cup on the other hand is fairly even 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Oh , I don't know , we know who's winning the Challenge Cup , and it ain't Wire , the 1895 Cup on the other hand is fairly even 

We do know which game has more interest in it. 

Archived