Race for 2nd

755911261_SLRnd26.thumb.jpg.2742cf5bf8b458c98ab5a30e985fb372.jpg2112541984_SLfixtures.jpg.0f99db935453432da9bf901c0a0f6849.jpg

Warrington are in freefall. Can't see them winning their away games.

Hull are very inconsistent, especially at home. Can see us losing 1 or 2 also.

Wigan are the form team in the comp and have the easiest run in.

Cas have got 3 of the top 4. Can't see them catching the pack.

Salford are the surprise package. Can honestly see them sneaking into 3rd. Think they'll win their remaining three games.

Predictions from me:

Wigan: WWW 36pts

Hull: WWL 34pts

Salford: WWW 34pts

Warrington: LWL 32pts

Cas: LLL 28pts

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last game for Warrington at Leeds will depend on Leeds position, safe I would expect Warrington to win with some injured players back but leeds needing a win puts a different spin on it.

I reckon

Warrington - 34

Wigan - 34

Hull - 34

Salford - 32

Catalans - 30

Cas - 28

I don't like the looks of Cas run in at all and think they may fade. With Salford's good form and decent run in, I can see the top 5 being wrapped up with a week to spare.

But with the top 5 system rewarding each higher place, there will be a scramble to get as high as possible.

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

755911261_SLRnd26.thumb.jpg.2742cf5bf8b458c98ab5a30e985fb372.jpg2112541984_SLfixtures.jpg.0f99db935453432da9bf901c0a0f6849.jpg

Warrington are in freefall. Can't see them winning their away games.

Hull are very inconsistent, especially at home. Can see us losing 1 or 2 also.

Wigan are the form team in the comp and have the easiest run in.

Cas have got 3 of the top 4. Can't see them catching the pack.

Salford are the surprise package. Can honestly see them sneaking into 3rd. Think they'll win their remaining three games.

Predictions from me:

Wigan: WWW 36pts

Hull: WWL 34pts

Salford: WWW 34pts

Warrington: LWL 32pts

Cas: LLL 28pts

Hardly anyone is bothered Wellsy excepting the fans of those clubs involved, as I suggested to you in the other thread the relegation battle is more interesting therefore getting far far more comments.

With the play-off system it doesn't make a big difference, yep maybe a slight advantage if you believe playing at home makes a huge difference. But even if 2nd team lose they get to play at home in next game as would 3rd team.  Both get a 2nd bite if they lose against lead leaders, as would lead leaders if they lost that game.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hardly anyone is bothered Wellsy excepting the fans of those clubs involved, as I suggested to you in the other thread the relegation battle is more interesting therefore getting far far more comments.

The fans of those clubs involved in the playoff chase, which would involve Catalans as well as Saints (who would be wondering who their potential run in will be) would be a significantly higher number than the number of fans in the relegation battle. Even if you throw in the Championship clubs, they won't be far off.

When you say "hardly anyone is bothered," what you really mean is your not bothered as you're no where near it so have no connection to it, whereas you've a connection with the relegation battle because you could be facing the losers next year or replacing the losers.

Wire’s biggest challenge to my mind comes from the grossly unfair decision to stage their game away at Salford on the Thursday after Wembley. That said, wigan went to Saints and won the Thursday after Wembley, so it can be done, especially if Wire are galvanised in defeat. If they win, I would rate their chances as very close to zero. 

I'd expect Wigan to win all theirs and hit the playoffs in form - they'll be a dangerous team to face at the business end. Hull and Salford to perhaps win two out of their three games. Cas have a tough run in which will likely save Warrington's blushes and keep them in the top five.

9 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The fans of those clubs involved in the playoff chase, which would involve Catalans as well as Saints (who would be wondering who their potential run in will be) would be a significantly higher number than the number of fans in the relegation battle. Even if you throw in the Championship clubs, they won't be far off.

When you say "hardly anyone is bothered," what you really mean is your not bothered as you're no where near it so have no connection to it, whereas you've a connection with the relegation battle because you could be facing the losers next year or replacing the losers.

10 comments Wellsey, inc two of mine and your answer to me, that makes 7 who are bothered, now have a look at all the comments and various threads that the relegation battle is generating, I consider my opening statement is rather conclusive I'd say.

10 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

With regards to how many people are bothered, would it not make sense to compare how many people turn up to watch these games vs how many turn up to watch say London vs Leeds or Wakefield vs London? 

Off course you win hands down, but with due respect the discussion was about this forum.

But your question has made me think how popular (or otherwise) are the games involving the clubs in the bottom dogfight. A good indicator for me for those games in the relegation contests would be a measure on each clubs average attendance, i.e. have they dropped or are they better than has been recorded in the season so far, HKR had just over 8,000 v Wakefield yesterday I tried to look at their average so far for the season but their website doesn't give the crowd figures, it would be interesting to look at for the upcoming games. 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

10 comments Wellsey, inc two of mine and your answer to me, that makes 7 who are bothered, now have a look at all the comments and various threads that the relegation battle is generating, I consider my opening statement is rather conclusive I'd say.

You do realise that using a few moments on this forum is not exactly an indicator of who is interested?

If you consider that to be conclusive, then I'd suggest maybe looking back at some of your other beliefs and how you came to them. It's not only inconclusive, it's factually incorrect unless you want to change the messing of "hardly anyone."

4 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

You do realise that using a few moments on this forum is not exactly an indicator of who is interested?

If you consider that to be conclusive, then I'd suggest maybe looking back at some of your other beliefs and how you came to them. It's not only inconclusive, it's factually incorrect unless you want to change the messing of "hardly anyone."

Pray tell which other beliefs (should that not be opinions after all it is a discussion forum) of mine you are referring to, I may be able to answer you then.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Off course you win hands down, but with due respect the discussion was about this forum.

No, you made the discussion to be about this forum. Your original statement mentioned nothing about this forum. "Hardly anyone is bothered."

Like I said, and Saint 1 has said, look at the attendance figures of those fighting for playoff spots and you'll find a lot of people are bothered.

The relegation battle is incredibly interesting, and I'd agree IMO is more interesting than the fight for 2nd, but to say hardly anyone is bothered about it is the kind of reverse snobbery you get from those that cant handle not being anywhere near the top. 

They are both interesting battles and lots of people are interested in them - both of them.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Pray tell which other beliefs (should that not be opinions after all it is a discussion forum) of mine you are referring to, I may be able to answer you then.

It was a generalisation based on how you came to this one. Belief and opinion are pretty synonymous in this instance.

12 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The relegation battle is incredibly interesting, and I'd agree IMO is more interesting than the fight for 2nd, but to say hardly anyone is bothered about it is the kind of reverse snobbery you get from those that cant handle not being anywhere near the top. 

They are both interesting battles and lots of people are interested in them - both of them.

The relegation battle is on now... when the playoffs start, absolutely rightly the interest will flip immediately to that with about 70k turning up to witness its conclusion.

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It was a generalisation based on how you came to this one. Belief and opinion are pretty synonymous in this instance.

Wellsy don't get so uppity, and my initial comment to was also a generalisation of a comparrison on this forum of the relevant interest being generated by what is happening at both ends of the division, quite clearly on the numbers of comments and quotes on both subjects it seems to me that it is quite obvious which is the most popular at this moment in time, when the relegation issue is over and done, then interest will revert to the play offs.

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

When teams are close on points, points difference is often a good indicator of  a quality. 

In my experience truly good teams (rather than teams in good form) rarely lose by big margins. So it's interesting how massive the difference between warrington and hull is despite them being on the same points.

And how good Salford points difference is. I think that's a good indicator that they are perhaps a bit better than people think.

You would think Wire will eventually turn it around, but they probably need at least 2 wins and a flying Salford, leeds and a possibly desperate wakefield isnt the easy run in it might have looked like

Wigan keep knocking them off and I think they will win at least 2

Hull are inconsistent and while you would back them to beat hudds, cas and saints are tough games

Salford could do anything. Win all three and lose all three. They could be be facing a wire side that is in freefall, low on confidence and coming off a beating in the CC final, then leeds and wakefield sides desperate for points. They could face a resurgent Wire coming off a moral boosting CC win and Leeds and wakefield sides who are safe.

Personally I think wire will turn it around and stay 2nd, wigan 3rd, salford 4th, cas 5th hull to miss out on pts difference

Completely agree with this - really enjoying this season with Salford but predicting the outcome of games is nigh on impossible at times. Home form is still shaky and we haven't won away at Leeds for a long time but we are due one. I'd be happy with two wins out of three and 4th or 5th. three wins and I'd be over the moon.

Don't know why people are having an argument about who does or doesn't care about the playoffs - some weirdos knocking about on rugby league forums.

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I'll tell you what I catergorically am not bothered about reading - aimless jibes for no discernible reason towards people who have started an interesting thread.

4 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It’s probably more important not to finish 4th rather than whose going to finish 2nd. Granted, you are guaranteed a home tie in 2nd but both 2nd and 3rd have two bites at the cherry, 4th only get one chance. 

yep, seems odd to me that a team can lose x2 game out of three and yet win that 3rd game and go to the final. A 33% win ratio gets you to the grand final. A 50% win ratio and your the grand final winners.

The team that finishes top (Saints) need at least a 50% win ratio to get to the final. Yet 2nd and 3rd only need a 33%...

Seems crazy to me...

Archived