24 Aug: Coral Challenge Cup Final: St Helens v Warrington Wolves KO 3pm (BBC)

Who will win?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens by 13 points or more
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/08/19 at 14:00

3 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

This is a Saints side that struggle in big games, people need to remember that. We’ve lost six semi-finals since winning the Grand Final in 2014 and the only one we have won is against a lower league side. 

This is by no means a given on Saturday. 

Interesting last decade for these two teams:

Challenge Cup

Wire, 3 wins, 2 final losses, 3 semi final losses (from 10)

Saints, 5 semi final losses (from 10)

SL Trophy

Wire, 4 final losses, 2 semi final losses (from 10)

Saints, 1 win, 3 final losses, 5 semi final losses (from 10)

They have won 3 LLS between them.

Saints have lost the last 6 semi finals they have appeared in (prior to 2019).

Wire have lost the last 6 finals they have appeared in. 

I think it is fair to say that both of these clubs could maybe have expected a better return over the last decade. 

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saints have been easily the best team to-date.

Never-the-less they do make a fair number of unforced errors (their expansive and fast play can lead to that) early on plus capitalize on opposition errors (defensively they apply huge pressure to opposition).

Key (as in most RL big games) is for Warrington is to be conservative, guard the ball minimizing errors and make the most of Saints frequent errors before they "play them themselves in".  May not lead to an  expansive exciting end to end game that many carve for... but would get them to winning the game.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Saints have lost the last 6 semi finals they have appeared in (prior to 2019).

Wire have lost the last 6 finals they have appeared in. 

The "battle of the bottlers" angle is one of the things that makes it such an interesting final for me.

Really looking forward to it.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

30 minutes ago, Ullman said:

The "battle of the bottlers" angle is one of the things that makes it such an interesting final for me.

Really looking forward to it.

Yes, for Saints to only get 2 pieces of silverware over 10 seasons is mad when you consider their pedigree. 

Wire have done better with 5, but the SL trophy has evaded us and most of those wins were a while back now.

19 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I would like to see an epic encounter, a game for the ages. 

However, it’s extremely hard to see how what looks like a burned-out Warrington can get past a tip-top Saints side that seemingly has more gears than a mountain bike.

We've also got a fair few prone to panic and very few with experience in big games.  Those kinds of deficits can make a big difference at an event like this.  I'm hoping we discover and maintain our collective nerve especially if the match is a closely fought one.  

Blake Austin not in Wire’s 19 man squad. I’m still not convinced he’s ruled out completely and won’t be till that game kicks off on Saturday. 

He and a few players still having treatment, not travelling today, going in morning so you could be right. 

He and a few players still having treatment, not travelling today, going in morning so you could be right. 

It’s what happened for the Semi-Final, so I would expect similar for the final, especially to a player like Austin. 

Raises some questions about why teams bother naming a nineteen man squad but if it’s not against the rules that are in place, we can’t argue too much. 

Both squads named now...

St.Helens 19 man squad:

1. Jonny Lomax, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Theo Fages,  7. Danny Richardson, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Luke Thompson, 11. Zeb Taia, 12. Joseph Paulo, 13. LMS, 15. Morgan Knowles, 16. Kyle Amor, 17. Dom Peyroux, 20. Jack Ashworth, 22. James Bentley, 23. Lachlan Coote.

Warrington’s 19 man squad:

Sitaleki Akauola, Josh Charnley, Daryl Clark, Jason Clark, Mike Cooper, Ben Currie, Matt Davis, Bryson Goodwin, Chris Hill, Jack Hughes, Toby King, Tom Lineham, Harvey Livett, Jake Mamo, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Declan Patton, Joe Philbin, Stefan Ratchford, Ben Westwood

You would hope the RFL fine them heavily for making a mockery of the 19 man squads if he does play. I would be curious what the rules are.

A Dr can rule someone out and they can be replaced, I believe. 

Personally, naming a nineteen man squad should be final unless the unlikely happens and you get three injuries. If you name a nineteen man squad you shouldn’t be allowed to change it because you have two additional players from in the match day squad to cope with an unexpected injury. 

Austin has ruled himself out on Instagram apparently. 

Hypnosis?

(I'm keeping be fingers crossed BTW)

The players went by train but six or seven are going tomorrow including Chris Hill. I will take any thing to gain an edge, but they cam definitely play on the underdog tag and put Gary Schofields comments all over the changing room. 

I anticipate that Austin will play. We've been here before with Radlinski in 2002! But, if Austin plays he clearly won't be fit. Price may think it's a risk worth taking.

If Austin misses out it's certainly a big blow. It's harder to win a big game without your best player, as we found out when Barba didn't play in last year's play off semi final.

I anticipate that Austin will play. We've been here before with Radlinski in 2002! But, if Austin plays he clearly won't be fit. Price may think it's a risk worth taking.

If Austin misses out it's certainly a big blow. It's harder to win a big game without your best player, as we found out when Barba didn't play in last year's play off semi final.

Or when we played him for about four weeks prior to the Semi of the Cup when he was clearly injured. 

Archived