24 Aug: Coral Challenge Cup Final: St Helens v Warrington Wolves KO 3pm (BBC)

Who will win?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens by 13 points or more
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/08/19 at 14:00

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saints to win, but Wire to up their game and make them work hard for the victory.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

No chance I'm making a prediction, anything can happen in cup finals. All it takes is an injury, a card or a mistake to change the whole game.

Weather's looking good, got the beers ready for the coach down. Can't wait!

Will be interesting to see what team Price puts out though. He's already been claiming Warrington are the biggest underdogs in Challenge Cup history so I'm assuming they're sending their academy team down.

Saints are clearly, and rightly, hot favourites, and I'm not travelling down with any great expectations. I'll enjoy the day and catch up with some friends either way. 

But, this is sport, so anything can happen. Saints were by far the best team last season, but were blown away by Catalans in a one-off game, and then Warrington beat them in a close encounter, so they are beatable. 

I'm not going to go into all my reservations about this Warrington team again, what will be will be, I'm just gonna try and enjoy it and I hope we put up a good show, we get a cracking game and we all get plenty to cheer about.

Strange one this, at this stage with what’s likely to be days of speculation around the fitness of key men for both. Lachlan Coote and James Roby haven’t played for weeks and Blake Austin hasn’t either but we’re being told that all three will be fit for the final. That begs the questions of are they fit and if so, how fit they are because the Wembley pitch is unforgiving. 

Warrington are in poor form but I’m completely disregarding their current situation. It’s a one off game and Saints don’t have a good record of winning big games under Holbrook and by that I mean Semi-Finals, we’ve won one and that was against a lower league side and even then, we didn’t exactly shine. 

Apparently Matty Lees will miss out with an abdominal injury from the Leeds game. Absolutely gutted for him, he's been superb this season and really brings something different to the team when he comes off the bench. Love his aggression and still only 21. Guessing Jack Ashworth will get a bench spot instead

Saints by 20+ Warrington are going to get blown away by the end of the first 40 minutes I reckon, I hope not but just can't see this going any other way. Then again Hull were massive favourites against Fev and the players basically seemed to tozss it off and Fev were rightly there by being a bloody good team and took the spoils, just can't see an upset happening.

Oh and if it is a tonking, the FA cup last year was 6-0 wasn't it, the result is what it is, just don't moan if it's one sided ffs!

As a Wigan supporter I'd rather like to see both sides lose.  If video ref cannot make a mess of that option, then I would have to go with the unfancied unlucky gallant underdog, Warrington. Perhaps Wire can score the winning try with a blatant knock on plus forward pass-offside in the last minute. 

I suspect we will have to suffer the commentator "underdog" hyperbole however. 

If we play to our best, then we will win. If we don't play to our best, then we open the door to Warrington. I am in no doubt that we will see the Warrington that played Hull FC in the semi final (if not better) rather than the Warrington in the last two months.

I am slightly worried about a Coote being a bit rusty having not played since mid-July, especially when it comes to goalkicking. I suppose Warrington may think the same about Austin though.

I think we're going to be in for a very close game. For Saints, if we can keep our defence as tight as it has been in previous matches against Warrington this year we'll be ok.

It's only Monday and I'm already nervous!

I'm not making predictions for this match as I'm a total wuss.  I have memories of only last season when I pootled along to Langtree Park full of confidence and the joys of the summer sunshine in my soul only to have it decimated by a total tonking at the hands of the Dragons.  Chickens are not being counted.  They can just stay in their eggs.

Weather is looking mighty good.  I hope lots of drinks breaks are scheduled because it will be even hotter in that stadium.  I have memories there too of Ade Gardner getting heatstroke and Jammer going ballistic because nobody bothered giving drinks to players playing in the full sun for 40 minutes.

It's a long old journey down and I hope the coach driver knows his way.  Back in 2008 the coach driver got lost and we ended up going via St Albans.

I'm taking my nine year old southern born nephew along.  It's only his second rugby league match, and the first where I'm expecting he will sit through the whole game (he did a first half at Langtree Park last season as his introduction to the sport, and he loved it).  He'll be wearing his full Saints kit and sporting a nifty foam finger to wave in support.  I'm hoping he'll make a good scrum half for London Broncos in the fullness of time!

No Aaron Smith as well because of a suspension. Unless I’m mistaken, I can’t remember an incident with him that led to a penalty for Leeds on Thursday being shown by Sky. Him missing out makes me feel uneasy because I wonder how fit/rusty James Roby will be. I know we still have James Bentley who can play hooker if needs be but I suppose it’s just nerves leading up to the game. 

Also a point on Blake Austin. He’s been worse than woeful in the two games he’s played against us this year. Like completely anonymous. All of that is forgotten if he turns up on Saturday. 

11 hours ago, Chris22 said:

I am slightly worried about a Coote being a bit rusty having not played since mid-July, especially when it comes to goalkicking.

I'd say his goalkicking is the least of our concerns - not playing matches doesn't necessaily mean you're not practicing your kicking.

13 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Weather is looking mighty good.  I hope lots of drinks breaks are scheduled because it will be even hotter in that stadium.  I have memories there too of Ade Gardner getting heatstroke and Jammer going ballistic because nobody bothered giving drinks to players playing in the full sun for 40 minutes.

I have lots of drinks breaks scheduled, so many in fact that they start on Thursday evening 

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

20 hours ago, Moove said:

Apparently Matty Lees will miss out with an abdominal injury from the Leeds game. Absolutely gutted for him, he's been superb this season and really brings something different to the team when he comes off the bench. Love his aggression and still only 21. Guessing Jack Ashworth will get a bench spot instead

Another cheap shot from fatty Ferres, hit him late in the ribs after the ball had gone.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived