Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

24 Aug: Coral Challenge Cup Final: St Helens v Warrington Wolves KO 3pm (BBC)

Who will win?  

79 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens by 13 points or more
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/08/19 at 14:00

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

My head hurts reading that.

The Saints 'try' was right in front of me and was a clear bounce. Great to hear 'Hubcap' Holbrook has spat his dummy though.

yep, was quite a sentence... purposely.

As I say we beg to differ... on TV (sorry I wasn't their) it was a clear try.  Hicks should have gone to the VR, no doubt.

Warringtons chalk off seemed an incorrect call too... but that went to the VR.

4 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I guess you agree with the pundits that you don't agree with on Saints no try when they agreed that Warrington's no try was a wrong call

That shoiws how much these "experts" know.

The Warington "no try" was correct. Whether or not you agree with the ruling, the "try scorer" used his own offside player (the original tackled player) to obstruct the defence. Even a slight touch of him is a considered obstruction by the player in front.

Just because these panelists give a verdict it doesn't mean they are always right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

That shoiws how much these "experts" know.

The Warington "no try" was correct. Whether or not you agree with the ruling, the "try scorer" used his own offside player (the original tackled player) to obstruct the defence. Even a slight touch of him is a considered obstruction by the player in front.

Just because these panelists give a verdict it doesn't mean they are always right.

if their was a slight touch... seemed to me the VR could not tell but as the ref gave no try he went with that call...  for myself I thought their was no evidence on the VR replay that he touched the other player.  

Nobody says the pundits are always correct... so I don't know why you say what you say.  as your've said it though -they agreed that if their was any touch it would be disallowed correctly, but they couldn't see the touch themselves.  

Edited by redjonn

Looked like a try to me.  Saw it again and again, try every time.  Hicks was nearer than me so who knows?  Hicks is hardly reliable though.  He once awarded a try at Fev when the player clearly put the ball down over the touch in goal line.

I expected Saints to win, but Warrington deserved it. But heir brand of rugby is dull, dull, dull. At a guess they bored Saints to death like they did Hull.  Championship rugby, while not as fast is far more watchable than the dross we saw this afternoon from both sides.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

2 minutes ago, redjonn said:

if their was a slight touch... seemed to me the VR could not tell but as the ref gave no try he went with that call...  for myself I thought their was no evidence on the VR replay that he touched the other player.

Of course it's a matter of opinion but if you watch the view from directly behind the player in possession you will see the shorts of the original tackled player move ... yes, just a slight touch but that's all that matters.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Of course it's a matter of opinion but if you watch the view from directly behind the player in possession you will see the shorts of the original tackled player move ... yes, just a slight touch but that's all that matters.

yep said to me missus he seemed to move... but then he was shoved by saints players, so I guess why he moved.

That incident didn't matter as by then I thought is was quite clear Warrington would win. Saints were playing desperation rugby and all Warrington had to do was maintain their control.

46 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Why?

I've gone to plenty of neutral games but it's my choice, I feel no obligation whatsoever and have no qualms talking about attendances. The only criticism by me is the number of fans from the heartlands clubs who are in the final.

Why not concentrate on the match for just two hours when there are 8, 738 other hours available for moaning  analyisis

• Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Agreed. Philbin's been a standout when Warrington have been rubbish in recent weeks, but he's been a star today too.

Congratulations Wire. Really smart, disciplined performance.

Agree about Clark+Philbin, while I admired Ratchford for a performance covering both full- and half-back positions. He orchestrated Warrington's pattern of play in the late sets.

In comparison I felt Saints lacked direction.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Padge said:

Oh well what a pity never mind eh. Hub caps bagged. 

Shurrup 😜

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Cracking game to watch. So open and yet defences held for the most part and there was loads of desperate last ditch tackling.

Did I hear right at the end that Wire only made four errors all game... if so they thoroughly deserve that win.

Lots of very good performances but Clark was immense. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Why not concentrate on the match for just two hours when there are 8, 738 other hours available for moaning  analyisis

Ah, so no actual ability to answer the question posed, as it is a forum is a place to discuss the matters at hand, are you trying to stymie free discussion?

When someone makes a clai and it is countered are you saying one should not ask why the hold that opinion?

Edited by Denton Rovers RLFC

24 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I expected Saints to win, but Warrington deserved it. But heir brand of rugby is dull, dull, dull. At a guess they bored Saints to death like they did Hull.  Championship rugby, while not as fast is far more watchable than the dross we saw this afternoon from both sides.

It was a war of attrition and our fitness proved better than Saints'. We had both first-choice halfbacks out and Currie at stand-off. St Helens' "one-out run by a winger" approach in the 2nd half was perhaps more exciting, but we shut it down fairly easily.

• Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

A forum is a place to discuss the matters at hand, are you trying to stymie free discussion?

Like , well,  you know, the honest endeavours of two teams of superb athletes.

Self-discipline for 0.02288853284% of the year. Only in rugby league would that count as discouraging free discussion. 

• Like 2

Four legs good - two legs bad

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

Like , well,  you know, the honest endeavours of two teams of superb athletes.

Self-discipline for 0.02288853284% of the year. Only in rugby league would that count as discouraging free discussion. 

HAHAHAHA, so you can't answer the question I originally posed. Your whataboutery waffle exposes you!

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I enjoyed that.

Call yourself a rugby league fan.

The correct phrase is “I didn’t not enjoy that too badly.”

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Saints didn’t do anywhere near enough for me. Yeah, a try chalked off but a top side deals with that...it’s the first minute and still level!  

Coote’s missed conversion was huge though. To know that you’re needlessly still two scores down after a monumental effort for the try would be soul destroying! 

Congratulations to Warrington.  Their victory was thoroughly deserved. Both set of supporters were excellent. Really enjoyed today. 😀

• Like 2

Well done to Wire, played to a plan and executed it to perfection. As for Saints it raises questions about Holbrook, they seemed to be unable to adapt to what the Wire were doing to them, ok he's won a couple of hubcaps but is unlikely to add to that at the Gold Coast, if he survives more than a season which is more than their recent coaches have achieved.

1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

He gave Saints plenty of leeway, absolutely loads in that second half, from the video I've just watched there's nothing conclusive from that angle.

Never a try.  But if the Warrington player who played the ball and had shaved his legs then their try would have been given!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

yep, was quite a sentence... purposely.

As I say we beg to differ... on TV (sorry I wasn't their) it was a clear try.  Hicks should have gone to the VR, no doubt.

Warringtons chalk off seemed an incorrect call too... but that went to the VR.

As I said earlier... since he did not think it was a try (and I do not think it was a try either), then if he went up to video he would have said "No Try".   Based on the the video there was no evidence to overturn it. Saints player flapped at it, no downward pressure.