24 Aug: AB Sundecks 1895 Cup Final: Sheffield Eagles v Widnes Vikings KO 5.30pm (OurLeague App)

Who will win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Sheffield Eagles by 13 points or more
    • Sheffield Eagles by 7 to 12 points
    • Sheffield Eagles by 1 to 6 points
    • Widnes Vikings by 1 to 6 points
    • Widnes Vikings by 7 to 12 points
    • Widnes Vikings by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/08/19 at 16:00

56 minutes ago, ihaveatry said:

It's not rocket science as all championship and league 1 teams if they think 1895 cup is a good idea!!!

Any trophy is worth winning. 

It's a bizarre stance you take..

What's the point in winning league1??

So if we look at the championship there's 2 SL teams in waiting who didn't enter the cup comps. You have the semi pro fodder who are out of their depth at the bottom and you have the middle.

Realistically these teams along with widnes who had a points deduction know they are not going up or down and can't beat the best teams in the land for the challenge cup so they target this cup. A trophy for the fans to celebrate and players to enjoy a final.

Football has trophys for the lower divisions with Wembley finals and it works well for them.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, yipyee said:

Football has trophies for the lower divisions with Wembley finals and it works well for them.

And attendances in virtually all those competitions are abysmal until the closing stages are reached. In non-league football, hardly any of the National League clubs care about the FA Trophy (which has its final at Wembley). Most field 'shadow' teams and are happy to be knocked out.

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

And attendances in virtually all those competitions are abysmal until the closing stages are reached. In non-league football, hardly any of the National League clubs care about the FA Trophy (which has its final at Wembley). Most field 'shadow' teams and are happy to be knocked out.

We aren't on about non league though are we.. that would be the equivikant of the national cup in our non league

11 hours ago, yipyee said:

Any trophy is worth winning. 

It's a bizarre stance you take..

What's the point in winning league1??

So if we look at the championship there's 2 SL teams in waiting who didn't enter the cup comps. You have the semi pro fodder who are out of their depth at the bottom and you have the middle.

Realistically these teams along with widnes who had a points deduction know they are not going up or down and can't beat the best teams in the land for the challenge cup so they target this cup. A trophy for the fans to celebrate and players to enjoy a final.

Football has trophys for the lower divisions with Wembley finals and it works well for them.

What's football got to do with it? Wembley will be nearly empty come kick off of the silly match 

The 1895 Cup is  a great idea. The format/timing probably needs a bit of tweaking, but this has the potential to grow into a well-respected competition with a desirable trophy.

What player would not want the opportunity to play at Wembley?

What club wouldn't want a day in their sun for their team and fans?

For once, give the RFL some credit for the initiative.

...and it's not unmanly/uncool/unnorthern to display positivism!

3 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

The 1895 Cup is  a great idea. The format/timing probably needs a bit of tweaking, but this has the potential to grow into a well-respected competition with a desirable trophy.

What player would not want the opportunity to play at Wembley?

What club wouldn't want a day in their sun for their team and fans?

For once, give the RFL some credit for the initiative.

...and it's not unmanly/uncool/unnorthern to display positivism!

There should be a 1895 cup comp for both championship and league1 with both finals being played BEFORE the cc cup final.

9 minutes ago, ihaveatry said:

There should be a 1895 cup comp for both championship and league1 with both finals being played BEFORE the cc cup final.

You have posted about it being a 'farcical' competition,'weakened' teams - but now you suggest extending the competition.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

You have posted about it being a 'farcical' competition,'weakened' teams - but now you suggest extending the competition.

It currently is farcical but could be something exciting if re jigged to each division.

32 minutes ago, ihaveatry said:

Aye no chance,the two sides currently in the final are poor sides thank the lord it's not being televised.

You're not taken with this, are you?

May I suggest another thread might disippate the thick black cloud.

As an Eagle fan I am hoping we can do it . I still remember that great day at Bramall lane in 1989 what a day . But on the flip side I can also remember when Widnes became the first club to nil us 22-0 in early 90s.

Chief Crazy Eagle

The idea (a competition for the lower league sides, culminating in a Wembley appearance for the finalists) was a good one, it’s just been poorly executed, IMO, with not all teams taking part (understandable given the midweek games), timing of games in midweek and the coverage it has received where finding match results has been like finding a needle in a haystack. 

The Northern Rail Cup was a very good watch for the neutral’s and I seem to remember Batley’s underdog victory over Leigh, the Leigh win in the dying seconds when they shaped for a drop goal and chucked it wide and I remember Cas being involved in a tight game in a Final too. This competition should be a “resurrection” of that competition and needs to be executed a little better the second time around.

I’d like to see group stages in this with all UK based sides competing in future, like we used to have in the Northern Rail Cup, so teams get a more competitive set of games than usual in pre-season and so teams have a set amount of guaranteed home games in this competition before reverting to a straight knockout competition. 

I know it’s premature but ya anything been said about a competition next year?

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’d like to see group stages in this with all UK based sides competing in future, like we used to have in the Northern Rail Cup, so teams get a more competitive set of games than usual in pre-season and so teams have a set amount of guaranteed home games in this competition before reverting to a straight knockout competition. 

I know it’s premature but ya anything been said about a competition next year?

The Championship has just about the right number of games. League One doesn't have enough. We need to figure out some kind of balance.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

23 hours ago, ihaveatry said:

alot of teams wernt bothered about it either as it was costing clubs money.

I like the notion that playing league games doesn't cost clubs money.

It'd make financial sense for 90% of the sports teams in the world to just jack it in altogether and not bother.

Yet, here we all are, pouring money into black holes.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

16 hours ago, ihaveatry said:

It's not rocket science as all championship and league 1 teams if they think 1895 cup is a good idea!!!

If they hadn't thought so, they wouldn't have voted for it.

It wasn't imposed on them by the RFL.  The clubs tell the RFL what to do, not the other way round.

4 hours ago, ihaveatry said:

What's football got to do with it? Wembley will be nearly empty come kick off of the silly match 

The players won't care.

Archived