24 Aug: AB Sundecks 1895 Cup Final: Sheffield Eagles v Widnes Vikings KO 5.30pm (OurLeague App)

Who will win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Sheffield Eagles by 13 points or more
    • Sheffield Eagles by 7 to 12 points
    • Sheffield Eagles by 1 to 6 points
    • Widnes Vikings by 1 to 6 points
    • Widnes Vikings by 7 to 12 points
    • Widnes Vikings by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/08/19 at 16:00

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

We aren't on about non league though are we.. that would be the equivikant of the national cup in our non league

I wasn't, exclusively. The various incarnations of what began as the Associate Members Cup (for lower division Football League clubs) has always, the final excepted, attracted pitiful attendances.

The 1895 Cup seemed like a good idea but when a number of eligible clubs decline to enter, and others who do field below-strength teams, then I can't see the point. Playing midweek was simply asking for nobody to turn up.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The competition improved once Mr Beaumont sponsored the tournament.

I have no idea if the sponsorship is to continue,or whether the competition is to continue,but going into the history books/recordings

of being the first/only winners,adds to the occasion.

Both sides are currently in higher league positions than the club followed by 'ihaveatry'.Both clubs have survived larger financial holes than the club followed by 'ihaveatry'.

I don't know who will be handing over the trophy,which appears small,but that may just be the camera telling lies.

I would like to see Mark Aston and Sheffield Eagles making history and I hope the whole day is enjoyable,and well-conducted,on and off the field.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

On 19/08/2019 at 21:51, ihaveatry said:

They are 2 poor sides very inconsistent Sheffield need a new coach and widnes  are a lost cause.

nothing wrong with the coach, it gets the players to the games on time and gets them home again

why dont they just give andy farrell his medal now?- ray french before the challenge cup final 1998

Great achievement by the Chemics to get there considering the off-field problems the club has had.

Kiss of death for me to tip Widnes so to ensure a decent reception next time I walk down Lower House Lane it's got to be Sheffield by 10 ?

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Very few in Sheffield care by the look of it. I have just been speaking to 2 friends of mine who are Sheff. Wednesday fans to ask if they were going down to Wembley Saturday to support their R.L. team.They had no idea they were playing there on Saturday.So, no they are not going.

No-one outside of Sheffield, or Widnes cares about this

I'm just guessing,but there may be a player who has played for the Eagles,perhaps living as far away as Australia,who may care and want the club to win.

I'm still guessing,but there may be a former player,perhaps living as far away as New Zealand,who may care and want Widnes to win.

Very few in Sheffield care by the look of it. I have just been speaking to 2 friends of mine who are Sheff. Wednesday fans to ask if they were going down to Wembley Saturday to support their R.L. team.They had no idea they were playing there on Saturday.So, no they are not going.

While surprised,and pleased Sheffield Wednesday followers have heard about the club,I reckon with it being played on a Saturday,and with The Owls having won a game or two,I think they may prefer to be in attendance at the soccer.

I feel ever so good reading these positives threads....

I think in principle its a great idea, Some of these players will never set foot on that ground any other way, I think the £5k prize money is laughable and the RFL need to seriously into that and the KO time.

Widnes have loaded all their eggs into this basket and therefore I think they will just nick it, we saw how much they raised their game for the semi at Leigh. most of their players are leaving at the end of the season.

I'm led to believe Widnes players have had to dig into their own pocket for hotel accommodation & transfers after the game as these were not covered by the RFL or Widnes and they have no after match party arranged until they get back to Widnes.

With both sides having artificial pitches it will be interesting to see how their fitness levels go on the energy sapping Wembley pitch - after lots of people have been on the pitch prior to their game starting.

With Widnes being full-time - up to this game - it would seem most likely that they will be victorious - though Sheffield Eagles defeated Widnes at home,with Widnes defeating Sheffield Eagles in the rearranged game after Sheffield Eagles agreed to a postponement when the financial problems at Widnes were laid bare,and they entered administration.

I hope it is a cracker..

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

With Widnes being full-time - up to this game - it would seem most likely that they will be victorious - though Sheffield Eagles defeated Widnes at home,with Widnes defeating Sheffield Eagles in the rearranged game. 

Not sure you can read much into either of those results. The Sheffield team that came to Widnes was by some distance the worst I've ever seen at Championship level, injuries and the Friday evening kick-off meant it was a very much weakened Eagles team. Likewise, the Widnes team at Sheffield was pretty different to the one that had played Leigh in the 1895 Cup semi-final 5 days earlier.

Not sure the full-time thing makes much difference either - the bulk of the Widnes squad is 18-21 yr old ex-academy players, most of whom have signed for other clubs next season. Widnes famously won at Wembley in the 1930s with 12 locals and a south african; there's probably more than 12 locals in the 19-man squad for tomorrow.

Bookies have Eagles as favourites because they've won more games than Widnes and so you'd think are a better team on the whole.

On 22/08/2019 at 14:58, Bleep1673 said:

No-one outside of Sheffield, or Widnes cares about this

Sorry too disappoint you but we’ve stayed on to watch the game so at least some Londoners and people from Kent do. (To be fair the stadium has emptied). 

Archived