Play offs

spanishknight

4 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

Anyone know how it works, think 4th play 5th, but I know nothing about them, didnt want to jinx us till we qualified, thanks.

Byzantine complexity but I've tried to get my head round it. 4th definitely plays 5th, if you finish in 4th you're guaranteed a home game. 2nd plays 3rd with 1st ie Toronto coming in at the next stage. Seems perverse if you finish 3rd you're away, arguably less advantageous than finishing 4th and at home, but the loser of 2nd v 3rd gets another bite of the cherry the following week.  Pretty much impossible to predict where YCK will finish, last  couple  of games could go either way. And that's all there is to it!!

8 minutes ago, William Webb Ellis said:

Byzantine complexity but I've tried to get my head round it. 4th definitely plays 5th, if you finish in 4th you're guaranteed a home game. 2nd plays 3rd with 1st ie Toronto coming in at the next stage. Seems perverse if you finish 3rd you're away, arguably less advantageous than finishing 4th and at home, but the loser of 2nd v 3rd gets another bite of the cherry the following week.  Pretty much impossible to predict where YCK will finish, last  couple  of games could go either way. And that's all there is to it!!

Thanks I think.???

Think I get my head round it now. So if teams finish where they are:

1st Toronto 

2nd Toulouse

3rd Leigh

4th York

5th Featherstone 

Week 1

1. 2nd v 3rd = Toulouse vs Leigh

2. 4th v 5th = York vs Featherstone 

Week 2

3. Toronto v winner of 1 = Toronto vs Toulouse

4. Loser of 1 v winner of 2 = Leigh vs York

Week 3

5. Loser of 3 v winner of 4 = Toulouse vs York

Week 4

6. Winner of 3 v winner of 5 = Toronto vs York

York win in Toronto to secure promotion, Uncle Derek’s on-off relationship with Leigh ends as he dumps them (again), John Kear gets his degree in medicine, Mel Gibson reprises his role in Conspiracy Theory: the sequel whereby he realises Fev are being kept out of Super League by reptilians headed by Ralph Rimmer and everyone’s a happy bunny! ?

9 minutes ago, Tafkat said:

Week 1

1. 2nd v 3rd

2. 4th v 5th

Week 2

3. Toronto v winner of 1

4. Loser of 1 v winner of 2

Week 3

5. Loser of 3 v winner of 4

Week 4

6. Winner of 3 v winner of 5

Wish I'd described it as succinctly as that!

The trick is to be 4th or 5th or lose the 2nd v 3rd tie. This way, if I've figured it right, is your best route not to play Toronto before the Grand Final. Given the pressure and what's at stake the final is anybody's on the day (look at Broncos/Wolfpack final last year!)  What on earth would we do if we won - dare to believe.

...OR finish 3rd, send some kids to jog about in France wk1, win at home in front of a big crowd wk2, next go beat a jet lagged Toulouse (we've been close both league games)...finally wallop wobbly wolfpack

Job done, bring on Cas!

1 minute ago, HarrogateKnights said:

The final is on 6th October however playoff dates and times are subject to sky with them having coverage rights. Hopefully they don't mess with them too much 

Toronto Wolfpack Playoff Schedule:

Semi-Final 2: Sunday September 22 – 1:30pm ET

Preliminary Final: Weekend of September 28 (If defeated in Semi-Final 2)

Playoff Final: Weekend of October 5 (If victorious in either Semi-Final 2 or Preliminary Final)

16 minutes ago, ihaveatry said:

I didn't like many others think York would survive championship but well done on your season.surely you want the season to end now as you cant seriously want to attempt super league this year.

Fordy wants to win every game, think most fans want to, so why stop now?.

It would be a absolute disaster york attempting super league next season.it could financially ruin you look at leigh.youve lost 7 this year and would need a complete over haul in your squad.id like to see you do it next year which would make more sense.

8 minutes ago, ihaveatry said:

It would be a absolute disaster york attempting super league next season.it could financially ruin you look at leigh.youve lost 7 this year and would need a complete over haul in your squad.id like to see you do it next year which would make more sense.

We have had an amazing season, no D/R, no full time, yet we keep defying the odds. We will give the play offs everything we have. I don't think we could survive Super League at the minute, but if we can build on what we have achieved this season, consolidate next, then who knows what we could do the season after. The key for me, is keeping most of the current squad together and adding value to that. We have individuals who would not look out of place in a S/L side surrounded by top class players, if we can hang on to them, then the way the club is structured, who knows what may happen? 

30 minutes ago, HaxbyKnight said:

We have had an amazing season, no D/R, no full time, yet we keep defying the odds. We will give the play offs everything we have. I don't think we could survive Super League at the minute, but if we can build on what we have achieved this season, consolidate next, then who knows what we could do the season after. The key for me, is keeping most of the current squad together and adding value to that. We have individuals who would not look out of place in a S/L side surrounded by top class players, if we can hang on to them, then the way the club is structured, who knows what may happen? 

Well said

There are 7 contenders for the top 5 places. We know we can beat 5 of 'em 'cos we already have. We certainly gave Toulouse a run for their money, on  another day who knows? Which leaves Toronto, nailed on for promotion last year but given a nasty shock by the Broncos. It's a very, very long shot but anything's possible. But as already pointed out, talk about a poisoned chalice. Presumably you'd have to go full-time pro, like going from being a jobbing  brickie to Wimpey Homes overnight. Can't imagine starting a game not wanting to win. If the impossible were to happen could we politely turn down any invite to join S/L? perhaps plead a prior engagement or better still take a "rain check". RFL would probably go along with it, might save one of their favoured sides like HKR/Rhinos currently in jeopardy. Still, it'll probably never happen!

8 minutes ago, William Webb Ellis said:

There are 7 contenders for the top 5 places. We know we can beat 5 of 'em 'cos we already have. We certainly gave Toulouse a run for their money, on  another day who knows? Which leaves Toronto, nailed on for promotion last year but given a nasty shock by the Broncos. It's a very, very long shot but anything's possible. But as already pointed out, talk about a poisoned chalice. Presumably you'd have to go full-time pro, like going from being a jobbing  brickie to Wimpey Homes overnight. Can't imagine starting a game not wanting to win. If the impossible were to happen could we politely turn down any invite to join S/L? perhaps plead a prior engagement or better still take a "rain check". RFL would probably go along with it, might save one of their favoured sides like HKR/Rhinos currently in jeopardy. Still, it'll probably never happen!

Everything is geared up for Toronto to win and get promoted though, it would almost be a superhuman effort to do it. But it's just 17 blokes running around a field after all, so anything could happen. 

If we did happen to win the Grand Final, I'd be mightily disappointed if we turned down a place in SL. Go up, take the money on offer and enjoy the experience cos it might never happen again.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

1 hour ago, Simon Hall said:

Everything is geared up for Toronto to win and get promoted though, it would almost be a superhuman effort to do it. But it's just 17 blokes running around a field after all, so anything could happen. 

If we did happen to win the Grand Final, I'd be mightily disappointed if we turned down a place in SL. Go up, take the money on offer and enjoy the experience cos it might never happen again.

Of course, you're right. Let's get up there, vote against any of this promotion/ relegation nonsense and pull up the drawbridge behind us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2019 at 12:33, DEANO said:

Dates?

Week 1

• Saturday 14 September, 3pm: Qualifying Final (2nd v 3rd) or Elimination Final (4th v 5th)   
  • Sunday 15 September, 6.30pm: Qualifying Final (2nd v 3rd) or Elimination Final (4th v 5th) 

Week 2

• Saturday 21 September, 3pm: First Semi-final (QF loser v EF winner)
  • Sunday 22 September, 6.30pm: Second Semi-final (Toronto Wolfpack v QF winner)

Week 3

• Sunday 29 September, 6.30pm: Preliminary final

Week 4

• Saturday 5 October (KO 7.30pm): Betfred Championship Grand Final    

Archived