What impact would an Ontario SL derby have on RL?

Providing Ottawa enter league one in 2021 the very earliest we could see a Canadian-Ontario SL derby is 2023. This is a huge milestone for RL in Canada, we will literally have two clubs that are pro and can run youth teams and generate interest across that region of the country. Whose to say that in 10-20 years from now Canada can't become a powerhouse competing with England, NZ and Australia. The RL community is really overlooking how big this is, we have a new heartlands people. 

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Providing Ottawa enter league one in 2021 the very earliest we could see a Canadian-Ontario SL derby is 2023. This is a huge milestone for RL in Canada, we will literally have two clubs that are pro and can run youth teams and generate interest across that region of the country. Whose to say that in 10-20 years from now Canada can't become a powerhouse competing with England, NZ and Australia. The RL community is really overlooking how big this is, we have a new heartlands people. 

Eric Perez has said that as soon as the Ottawa team is up and running, there will be an annual cup competition with TWP. So this is likely to be earlier than 2023.

49 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

I suppose that does show that there will be only 2 teams in the competition, presumably alternating between venues. However, who knows how the competition might expand in subsequent years.

That picture looks like the Detroit River separating Detroit and Windsor...now that would be one Derby!

If Ottawa comes in and schedule could be worked out early season games could be a double header at Rogers centre covered stadium

League 1 Ottawa vs X  at 1pm  SL Wolfpack vs X at 3 pm. Easy for Ottawa fans to get into Toronto. Would be an interesting proposition for a broadcaster. Exciting for travelling UK fans  if priced properly.

9 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Easy now you'll have Parky booking himself into his local physic ward and MoK wondering how he's going to count the crowds if their both playing at home on the same day.

11 hours ago, The Daddy said:

. The RL community is really overlooking how big this is

People are overlooking how big a match that has never happened involving a team that doesn't exist (whilst making up a network of youth and development activities that no one has even planned at this point) truly is.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Before the usual suspects jump on this I'm just going to say that I would be in favour of this sort of derby. I would prefer when we brought in expansion clubs that they were initially brought in in pairs so that each team would have a natural on field "rival" as well as off field partner to help shoulder the growth of the game. 

Also would add that in receptive markets such as the South of France and as we are seeing (as surprising as it is to some) in the Greater Toronto/Ontario area, a derby guarantees 2 big events a year for the local media etc to get around and thus provides the game with a bit of a boost in exposure. 

12 hours ago, RobertAM said:

If Ottawa comes in and schedule could be worked out early season games could be a double header at Rogers centre covered stadium

League 1 Ottawa vs X  at 1pm  SL Wolfpack vs X at 3 pm. Easy for Ottawa fans to get into Toronto. Would be an interesting proposition for a broadcaster. Exciting for travelling UK fans  if priced properly.

Rogers no longer changes out of baseball configuration. It's why they kicked the Argos out.

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I would prefer when we brought in expansion clubs that they were initially brought in in pairs 

That would involve central planning for these - and a lot of cash. And we're nowhere near that day.

I do agree with you though. It's a good way of doing it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That would involve central planning for these - and a lot of cash. And we're nowhere near that day.

I do agree with you though. It's a good way of doing it.

Not sure that Rugby League and Central planning are words often used in the same sentence 

I think we need a French Super League Derby first.

I’d also like to see a successful Bradford and Widnes sides for some extra derby matches.

I doubt we’ll have two Canadian teams in SL unless we returned to licensing.  

2 hours ago, RobertAM said:

Money talks...

I don't think anyone in RL has enough money to get Rogers to budge on this. Besides, that's what BMO is for.

6 hours ago, Cdd said:

I think we need a French Super League Derby first.

I’d also like to see a successful Bradford and Widnes sides for some extra derby matches.

I doubt we’ll have two Canadian teams in SL unless we returned to licensing.  

I definitely think a French derby is more likely at this stage, indeed I think 3 or more french teams in the whole system is just as likely. 

However I think with new Canadian teams we will see sides that can comfortably spend to the salary cap and thus challenge to get in SL relatively easily (which will be true so long as we have teams like Wakefield and Salford who don't spend to cap). I don't necessarily think we'll see as many French teams with the same financial clout.

With 3 Canadian teams, 3 or 4 from France, New York, Philadelphia and Jacksonville, plus now Valencia and a derby rival for them (the Albacete Bullfighters maybe), Red Star and Partizan Belgrade, and various UK expansion clubs (Newcastle, York, Skolars, Coventry and the Norwich team I’m going to set up) Super League will need to have 30+ teams - it will be ace, no more loop fixtures and a Magic Week. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

With 3 Canadian teams, 3 or 4 from France, New York, Philadelphia and Jacksonville, plus now Valencia and a derby rival for them (the Albacete Bullfighters maybe), Red Star and Partizan Belgrade, and various UK expansion clubs (Newcastle, York, Skolars, Coventry and the Norwich team I’m going to set up) Super League will need to have 30+ teams - it will be ace, no more loop fixtures and a Magic Week. 

I’m setting up the Kent Cnuts, named in honour of our Viking history. 

We’re in TV deal negotiations with local channel KMTV and we’ve reached out to the stoolball community. Converting their players will be pretty easy.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

I’m setting up the Kent Cnuts, named in honour of our Viking history. 

We’re in TV deal negotiations with local channel KMTV and we’ve reached out to the stoolball community. Converting their players will be pretty easy.

Good luck with that. Be sure to keep us posted.

Archived