Challenge Cup Final trivia question

Right let's see who knows this one.

As we all know on Saturday, Saints and Wire meet in the Challenge Cup final for the first time ever.

However, there has been a previous St Helens v Warrington fixture at Wembley. What were the circumstances?

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

Which raises an interesting other question. Which are the two most surprising teams never to have met in the final now that Saints will play Wire?

Wigan v Huddersfield must be up there. Hull v Bradford?

Given that we only have 12 top-flight clubs and you only need to win 3 or 4 games to get there (and maybe beat only 1 or 2 other SL teams), the surprising thing to me is that Salford have gone 50 years since their last final and Wakefield 40 years.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Given that we only have 12 top-flight clubs and you only need to win 3 or 4 games to get there (and maybe beat only 1 or 2 other SL teams), the surprising thing to me is that Salford have gone 50 years since their last final and Wakefield 40 years.

I thought the same about Hibs not winning a trophy for over 100 years until they won the cup a couple of years ago; ok maybe not the league but surely by chance the 5th biggest club would have won one of the cups in that time, and as you say the same applies to Salford and Wakey. 

Actually I take that all back having looked it up (sure there are shed loads of Hibs fans on this forum), having looked it up it was the FA cup they hadn’t won in 115 years, they’d won the league and league cup in that time. But even so, its surprising. 

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Actually I take that all back having looked it up (sure there are shed loads of Hibs fans on this forum), having looked it up it was the FA cup they hadn’t won in 115 years, they’d won the league and league cup in that time. But even so, its surprising. 

It wasn't for the want of trying - I'd witnessed three Scottish Cup Final defeats before being at Hampden on 21st May 2016, and I hadn't even turned 30 at that point!

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It wasn't for the want of trying - I'd witnessed three Scottish Cup Final defeats before being at Hampden on 21st May 2016, and I hadn't even turned 30 at that point!

spacer.png

What are the chances ?. Quality flag btw ?

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What are the chances ?. Quality flag btw ?

The flag was there that day and has survived drunken away trips in England, Scotland, Germany, Sweden and Belgium yet somehow got lost when moving house a couple of years ago ?

3 hours ago, dixiedean said:

Which raises an interesting other question. Which are the two most surprising teams never to have met in the final now that Saints will play Wire?

Wigan v Huddersfield must be up there. Hull v Bradford?

Warrington v Bradford too. 

59 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Hibs also one the inaugural season of Summer Cup soccer on both occasions it was tried.  First, in the war years, and then in 1964.  On the latter occasion, they needed a cup final replay, at Pittodrie against Aberdeen, after a 4-4 draw over two legs.  If I remember correctly, this was the game to which my aunt and uncle in Aberdeen took me and my brother; we were having our regular holiday 'back home', seeing family and friends.  I enjoyed the occasion, but not the result!

Yes. And what makes it even more remarkable is the great Oldham side of the 50s and the Swinton one of the early sixties, double champions.

It is not as though either club has been also rans for most of the times since either. 

Archived