Daryl clark - Fast

Interesting article on the SL website.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/992/the-rugby-league-combine

The article is about Daryl Clarks efforts in chasing down Craig Hall in a game against HKR this season, where Clark hit a top speed of 35kph when tracking back to make a tackle on a runaway Hall. Faster apparently than any speed recorded in the Premier league or NFL last season. It further mentions other aspects of recorded physical achievements of certain players, and asks the question about whether an NFL combine style event/showcase could work for SL and it's players.

The NFL combine has always interested me, and have always thought something similar would be great for RL, certainly as a pre-season event. And additional content is something we genuinely need. I think it would certainly raise some talking points on whose fastest/fittest/strongest etc and a great way to start previewing the season.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

That is remarkable, what a great athlete.  In the article it also says that this speed was hit by Clark 24 minutes into the match and Daryl had already completed 16 tackles, have five carries and covered 2,846 metres.

Also that Josh Addo-Carr clocked at an astonishing 38.6kph this season.

Rugby League players are fantastic athletes... makes you miss Superstars!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I like the idea but my only worry would be what would motivate people to tune in/participate/sponsor if there is no real outcome as there is with the Combine? When these things become novelty events, as with the skills challenges they did before the Pro Bowl, then it doesn't really work.

This story has been doing the rounds for a week or two now and it is an interesting angle for discussion that we don't normally get. I know Wire have challenged other clubs to share data like this.

The most impressive thing about it for me was not just the sprint, it was the quality of tackle that Clarke pulled off on Hall. It was unbelievable, and should be shown everywhere. It is a real shame that we don't have great broadcast quality videos, as it would have looked brilliant from different angles.

Personally i don't feel any event has to be a competition as such. It is what it is. Players would go through these types of physical tests in pre-season regardless. Such a showcase would open that up on a larger scale, and presented right would be great additional content for use on TV and online.
All players and coaches in one place would provide numerous opportunity for interviews and discussion around the coming season and goals etc etc. Watching new players and seeing how they stack up. Comparing against previous season's, reviewing players progress. I think it would be great.

Any player winning the sprint tests would no doubt be dubbed the fastest in RL, the winner of any strength tests the strongest, it would be bound to breed a bit of competition among the players.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just now, Dave T said:

This story has been doing the rounds for a week or two now and it is an interesting angle for discussion that we don't normally get. I know Wire have challenged other clubs to share data like this.

The most impressive thing about it for me was not just the sprint, it was the quality of tackle that Clarke pulled off on Hall. It was unbelievable, and should be shown everywhere. It is a real shame that we don't have great broadcast quality videos, as it would have looked brilliant from different angles.

Would also love to know at what point he clocked that fastest speed. At the start, when you'd imagine he'd be the most energised or the end of his chase, when desperation kicks in.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Get him up against the flyer! That unless they are one and the same ha

3 hours ago, Shaggy said:

What's that speed in real money?

EDIT: It's 22mph. ?

You are Jacob Rees-Mogg and I claim my five guineas!

32 minutes ago, leytherz said:

are we honestly saying daryll clark is faster than everybody in rugby league,football and the nfl.id be surprised if he came in the top 1000.all it tells me is the devise they use doesnt work properly

Well no, the article clearly says that Josh Addo-Carr clocked a faster time so we are not saying Clark is faster than everybody in Rugby League. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

32 minutes ago, leytherz said:

are we honestly saying daryll clark is faster than everybody in rugby league,football and the nfl.id be surprised if he came in the top 1000.all it tells me is the devise they use doesnt work properly

It’s just a typical rl measuring or counting device then. 

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

53 minutes ago, leytherz said:

Maybe he left it on when he drove home from the game.

(Don't tell GUBRATS but it was an Audi I think)

Just as a comparison Usain Bolts peak speed over 100m was 27mph. Over 200m his average (NOT top speed) was 23mph. According to a quick google search.

would be interesting to compare some stats with some of the games genuinely fast players.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

24 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Just as a comparison Usain Bolts peak speed over 100m was 27mph. Over 200m his average (NOT top speed) was 23mph. According to a quick google search.

would be interesting to compare some stats with some of the games genuinely fast players.

I was looking at this for a chat on cross code.

Usain Bolt reached a top speed of 44.7km/h on his world record 100m run.

As said before, Josh Addo-Carr has the highest recorded top speed in the NRL at 38.5 km/hr.

Difficult to find a top speed for NFL as there are loads of articles out there. This one says the top speed in 2018 was 35.5 km/h.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/american-sports/nfl-fastest-players-quickest-field-13626771.amp

I think we need to be mindful of the fact that NFL players are in more kit than Rugby League players (although i would say this is comfortably countered by the workload a RL player has).

This article shows Gareth Bale as the fastest football player at 36.9 km/h.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/10-fastest-players-world-football-9832187.amp

18 hours ago, Dave T said:

Where can I watch it? 

Yeah its very much swings and roundabouts. The NFL Combine is a good indication of actual speed, for instance, over a certain distance.

NFL players have to wear padding and helmets, and unless its a length of the field touchdown from a kick return i would have thought they're rarely running in a straight line for long enough periods to reach top speed. In RL you're, usually, carrying a ball, and have run plenty of metres and made tackles previously. So, swings and roundabouts.

A genuine RL combine style event would be a great way to measure and compare.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

10 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Where can I watch it? 

Don’t see the need for a televised skills test, if I’m honest. I don’t really see why a broadcaster would want to fund and show that, what it actually does for the game and why people would want to watch a rugby league player weightlifting, a bit like how I’ve never quite got the NFL Combine. Do we even show it in the UK?

It’s good that analysis and statistics like the ones released by Warrington are more readily available because the stats on offer are very basic. 

Archived