Argentina join rival to RLIF

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should begin by taking legal action in Greece. That dick is the start of all this and the Greeks should have been helped to shame (and shake) him off ages ago. 

9 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

It is concerning that Carlos Varela has decided to take the Argentinian RL across to the World Rugby League from the RLIF.  I have to admit I was very much surprised by the news, especially as the RLIF had actually been assisting groups like Argentina with taking the steps to get government recognition and outlined the steps for them to become Affiliate members.

I would have thought if South American nations were going to 'jump ship' it would have been 2-3 years ago when World Rugby League was actually doing something and the RLIF had zero interest in the region...maybe the extra attention created scrutiny that wasn't well received? 

Anyway, hopefully it is just a joke or designed to get some attention and the CARL come back to the RLIF... With Brazil and Chile now Affiliate Members of both the APRLC and RLIF, confirmed and funded Americas Nines & RL Championship every 2 years and other nations in the region pushing for membership, they'll find themselves very lonely and very much left behind if they stay with the WRL.... 

Very much agree. Bizarre considering their neighbours Brazil have just set the pathway by gaining affiliate status. Perhaps there’s a hint of jealousy and frustration that they’ve got there first and so they’re throwing their toys out a pram. Very poor anyway, thought better of Carlos. As you say though, they’re going to be very lonely and find no love over there

Seriously, if you take Nigeria its unbelievable Rugby League has even been allowed to be played.

So much control on how some countries allow sports to be played.

The level of government permission you need.

Huge political dance in some countries to even play rugby league.

Even then union controls most of the decent pitches in places like africa, can make life seriously difficult.

Cheers Legend. I didn’t know about any of this (other than the well publicised situations in Greece and Lebanon). 

Cheers Legend. I didn’t know about any of this (other than the well publicised situations in Greece and Lebanon). 

Its not a popular opinion but you have to say the EU has been good to Rugby League.

In protecting the sport and providing funding.

Outside the EU its the wild west. We dont back and credit the individuals who make things happen.

Even with in the EU polska XIII get no support and depend on the good will of the wider Rugby League community.

Part of the reason we need to push 9s to make the sport internationally legitimate.

podcast from Robert Burgin on the Argentine issue:

Thanks for that, good listen as it always is with Robert. And kinda, as suspected, but hopefully this knee jerk reaction will be reversed when sense is seen.

The interesting bit was about 5 minutes from the end when Robert talks about the help RLIF could provide, with professionals looking to setup sponsorship in each nation, instead of them having to ask for handouts from RLIF constantly, and because these emerging nation pioneers on the ground are not adept enough or have the time to engage, grow with and retain sponsors. I think that's an excellent idea, and the position(s) should be paid back handsomly by the returns so shouldn't be seen as a cost burden on RLIF

Thanks for that, good listen as it always is with Robert. And kinda, as suspected, but hopefully this knee jerk reaction will be reversed when sense is seen.

The interesting bit was about 5 minutes from the end when Robert talks about the help RLIF could provide, with professionals looking to setup sponsorship in each nation, instead of them having to ask for handouts from RLIF constantly, and because these emerging nation pioneers on the ground are not adept enough or have the time to engage, grow with and retain sponsors. I think that's an excellent idea, and the position(s) should be paid back handsomly by the returns so shouldn't be seen as a cost burden on RLIF

I think people are paid enough to be honest.  The problem sometimes is injection a bit of passion into paid professionals.

I think people are paid enough to be honest.  The problem sometimes is injection a bit of passion into paid professionals.

It's not about how much people are paid - it's the fact there isn't anyone with the skillset to generate and sustain sponsorship at that level, which is where he is looking for RLIF to help out with. Currently they don't have anyone in such a position, but it's something they should look at creating

On 22/08/2019 at 20:37, Heritage XIII said:

Wonder who the person is Robert Burgin mentions spreading malicious lies etc? Are they on this forum?

They are. It is me. 

My name is Chris Reid, I was a Latin Heat board member for the first two years there was a board.

Rob's podcast has come as a complete shock to me and is full of inaccuracies. 

I'm an open book and would welcome any questions about any accusation.

new rise.jpg

Is that a response to my invitation, or have you mis-typed the ''submit reply" key prematurely?

28 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Is that a response to my invitation, or have you mis-typed the ''submit reply" key prematurely?

The latter. And I've just typed up a pretty big response and then accidentally deleted it too. I'll respond soon.

new rise.jpg

45 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Would you care to correct the inaccuracies?

I'm going to reply to this in parts because there are so many and I'm having trouble on mobile.

Firstly I had nothing to do with Carlos and the WRL. I barely speak to Carlos. I actually find it hard communicating with him because his Spanish is very different to what I'm used to.

I think Robert has got the idea because about a year ago I suggested that El Salvador should join the WRL, partly in jest, partly seriously, out of frustration with the RLIF. Nothing came of it.

new rise.jpg

Archived