Argentina join rival to RLIF

The way in which I've been judged for firstly suggesting it a year ago and then commenting on Facebook that it wasn't a surprise when Argentina has gone over to the WRL compared to how Carlos has been judged for actually doing it is unbelievable to me.

Carlos has been labelled a loveable scamp whereas I am apparently the RL devil.

Edit 1:

Robert has said that the Latin Heat board unanimously said they didn't want to deal with me. If that's true then it raises a question with me. I have disagreed with board members plenty of times, that's what a board is about. It was nearly always solved. Of the members that remained after I didn't seek re-election, I had barely spoken to them except for one. I had never really had a disagreement with them except for one. So I'm now wondering what was being said behind my back.

I can be a pain in the ###### to work with and if I see a problem I will bring it up. I'm definitely not free of guilt. 

Edit 2:

I've been accused of running off to podcasts or websites to spread rumours and bag individuals. This isn't correct. I do have frequent conversations with the guys behind the Chasing Kangaroos and Hard Yards podcasts. Both have assured me that they don't believe I've been spreading rumours or bad-mouthing individuals. I felt like I was losing my mind with this one so I had to ask the question.

new rise.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/08/2019 at 18:28, DoubleD said:

Thanks for that, good listen as it always is with Robert. And kinda, as suspected, but hopefully this knee jerk reaction will be reversed when sense is seen.

The interesting bit was about 5 minutes from the end when Robert talks about the help RLIF could provide, with professionals looking to setup sponsorship in each nation, instead of them having to ask for handouts from RLIF constantly, and because these emerging nation pioneers on the ground are not adept enough or have the time to engage, grow with and retain sponsors. I think that's an excellent idea, and the position(s) should be paid back handsomly by the returns so shouldn't be seen as a cost burden on RLIF

I called for this several years ago for the Americas. Particularly when there was calls for their own federation. 

My point was, hire a CEO/Development Manager for the Americas and measure the ROI and set it as a direct KPI.

i.e. RLIF appoints Americas manager for $75,000USD. His/her first priorities in Y1 are:

- bring in $75k in sponsorship/grants/donations and service the ###### out of them

- assist NGBs with logistics of international matches, but remember outside of RLIF tournaments it’s the individual NGBs responsibility to organise

- assist NGBs with government communication/lobbying

- provide a standardised sponsorship procedure for NGBs to attract and service domestic sponsors

In year 2, the KPIs might be the above, plus:

- Tournament manage the WC quals/Americas Championship

- Communicate with potential broadcasters

- Support/run coach and official training with RLIF standardised procedures

- Any additional revenue above $75k goes towards hiring a part time admin superstar

Y3 you might have:

- your admin go FT

- hire a marketing/media manager allowing the CEO/DM to focus on sponsorship and government liaising.

- The admin can do appointment setting and lead generation. 

- Additional revenue can go towards subsidising international matches, the thing kids aspire to

Point is, with a little bit of investment and linking it to such a KPI it won’t actually cost the RLIF anything. Alternatively, the RLIF could set up low interest loans to NGBs for the purpose of revenue generation. i.e we’ll give you $50k for a FT DM but they need to also generate income. We want $5k per year in repayments over 10 years. 

You’re never going to replace volunteers at the grassroots level. We need passionate parents to coach the U10s team. But you can get the cogs turning a bit faster with some innovative thinking.

Anyway, what do I know...

I met Carlos Varela who is Chair of ARL and I asked him why he did this on a fb message. he said 

"They did not affiliate me, they wanted me to join a group that had no entity, I have all the documents in order and they have nothing. But to clarify the issue is that the leader of the other group is the coach of the selected. It means that if I designate another tomorrow, I build an association and I have to join too. This is crazy, really very disappointed with everything. The WRL asked me for all the documentation they analyzed and in four days they affiliated me, without turns, now I feel calmer and with a view to developing the RL comfortably."

I then asked him "the WRL really aren't a real organisation. you should discuss with chris thair. "

He said 

"Ian, talk to everyone, email Nigel, Jeremy, Tas, and who forced me to leave or join: Danny. Already done, time will tell who is right, the comments are divided, some very bad to the WRL and others very lam to the RLIF and these are the most (although they are within the organization). I appreciate your comment, but it is an accomplished fact. I am not a boy to be told what to do or to which side I should go, I just have to see the attitudes and positions to realize if they are telling me the truth or want to entangle me to do what they want."

Carlos is a very nice man up against a staunch and powerful Union. I believe he is truly only doing what he feels is best with his limited resources.

if anyone has any old rugby league kits they and Chile would love them. Im also involved with Ghana if anyone has them for them as well.

2 hours ago, IM2 said:

I met Carlos Varela who is Chair of ARL and I asked him why he did this on a fb message. he said 

"They did not affiliate me, they wanted me to join a group that had no entity, I have all the documents in order and they have nothing. But to clarify the issue is that the leader of the other group is the coach of the selected. It means that if I designate another tomorrow, I build an association and I have to join too. This is crazy, really very disappointed with everything. The WRL asked me for all the documentation they analyzed and in four days they affiliated me, without turns, now I feel calmer and with a view to developing the RL comfortably."

I then asked him "the WRL really aren't a real organisation. you should discuss with chris thair. "

He said 

"Ian, talk to everyone, email Nigel, Jeremy, Tas, and who forced me to leave or join: Danny. Already done, time will tell who is right, the comments are divided, some very bad to the WRL and others very lam to the RLIF and these are the most (although they are within the organization). I appreciate your comment, but it is an accomplished fact. I am not a boy to be told what to do or to which side I should go, I just have to see the attitudes and positions to realize if they are telling me the truth or want to entangle me to do what they want."

Carlos is a very nice man up against a staunch and powerful Union. I believe he is truly only doing what he feels is best with his limited resources.

if anyone has any old rugby league kits they and Chile would love them. Im also involved with Ghana if anyone has them for them as well.

While that maybe the case, he is taking a shortcut, which will ultimately lead him up a blind alley. He also has no understanding or appreciation of the bigger picture in play here and that his move will only further hinder the development of the game of rugby league, both globally and within Argentina. Very short sighted 

I was helping out in India a couple years back. We had over 500 kids in schools playing touch footy through an NFP. Contacted Tas about setting up NGB. Tas said someone already has done so in Kerala and we should join them. Unfortunately the Kerala organisation was non existent and uncontactable. We’ve since stopped our activities. It sounds like Argentina are facing the same situation. 

7 hours ago, dealwithit said:

I was helping out in India a couple years back. We had over 500 kids in schools playing touch footy through an NFP. Contacted Tas about setting up NGB. Tas said someone already has done so in Kerala and we should join them. Unfortunately the Kerala organisation was non existent and uncontactable. We’ve since stopped our activities. It sounds like Argentina are facing the same situation. 

There certainly was activity in Kerala and a fair amount. 

The last thing the RLIF wants is multiple competing NGBs - we’ve seen the damage that has done in Italy and USA

On 25/08/2019 at 20:35, IM2 said:

He said 

I think we should really take a good hard look at people in the RLIF and RLEF look at their ability to deal with people.

Particularly, those with strong links to the RFL. 

The big issues we are having in the game are not union vs league.

But people feeling disrespected by our governing bodies and deciding to step outside of the formal Rugby League  world.

When people are constantly getting into arguments with people the main issue is not the other people.

I think we have a serious case of people drunk on power at the RLIF,  need to push through with reforms.

The danger is people like the WRL are waiting to exploit this to restrict the games international growth.

Archived