Challenge Cup Final to be moved to July

A good idea as being at the end of August means there is just over a month between our two major finals which I think does have an impact on attendance as a lot of fans will have to choose which one to attend. It also means that it gets in the way of the race for the playoffs and now the relegation battle. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/46193469

They've been talking about doing this for long enough. Good to see this change being made.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A good idea as being at the end of August means there is just over a month between our two major finals which I think does have an impact on attendance as a lot of fans will have to choose which one to attend. It also means that it gets in the way of the race for the playoffs and now the relegation battle. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/46193469

This article is from November last year

Going to be interesting looking at how the calendar is going to work with this being brought forward a month and seeing how this, the Magic Weekend, CC Semi’s double header and any potential return to Barcelona for Catalans are all going to be accommodated. 

I'd have thought the Catalans would be glad to see the back of Barcelona after their performances following that visit.

It seems like a good move. Mark Foster already talking about a capacity crowd, tickets on sale in October & getting London Schools involved. I'm glad that something is happening. I go every year and it has been disappointing seeing how we have managed to go from 84k in 2007 (Catalans as well) to where we are now. I also go to some NFL matches at Wembley and the difference is stark. 

The RFL did a good job with the World Cup in 2013 and Foster is optimistic about 2021 so if we can bring that kind of focus to the Cup Final as well then I am hopeful it will get some of its magic back. The challenge is working out how to shift 40k-50k tickets before the Finalists are known. 

I think that's a sensible move. A blank weekend in terms of other sport, not a traditional weekend for rail disruption and good spacing between Magic Weekend and the Grand Final. I wonder if we may see the end to the semi final double header experiment?

Good to see ambition in talking about a capacity crowd again and an unwillingness to accept stagnation and reduction.

I think that's a sensible move. A blank weekend in terms of other sport, not a traditional weekend for rail disruption and good spacing between Magic Weekend and the Grand Final. I wonder if we may see the end to the semi final double header experiment?

Good to see ambition in talking about a capacity crowd again and an unwillingness to accept stagnation and reduction.

Inasmuch as any given weekend is blank for other sport, yes. But at least we do drop into the gap between Wimbledon and the Olympics, both of which are major schedule- and headline-hoggers.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

There is no safe window in summer to plan the CC Final without other sports getting in the way

Tour De France is likely to be still going on18th July next year

Every weekend seems to heve multiple big sports events. The CC Final just has to be part of that mix

Going to be interesting looking at how the calendar is going to work with this being brought forward a month and seeing how this, the Magic Weekend, CC Semi’s double header and any potential return to Barcelona for Catalans are all going to be accommodated. 

There will probably be the same gap between the semis and ginal that there is now. The better thing about it is that there won't such a big gap between the quarter and the semis. The magic weekend will probably be at the same time and after Catalans form collapsing the way it has after the Barcelona game I wouldn't be surprised that they don't do it next year!

So does this mean we won't be binning off the failure that is the 'magic' weekend? I was hoping end of May , personally think it would be better. You've got the champions league final in the evening of the 30th May and that's it.

I would also prefer to see the ladies Challenge cup match played before the men and drop the 1895 cup to have its own venue.

So does this mean we won't be binning off the failure that is the 'magic' weekend? I was hoping end of May , personally think it would be better. You've got the champions league final in the evening of the 30th May and that's it.

I would also prefer to see the ladies Challenge cup match played before the men and drop the 1895 cup to have its own venue.

They couldn't move the final any further back this year due to the Euros. Not just that they are taking place in June and July but that UEFA would want sole access to Wembley for a week or to beforehand too. Then once you are in to May, you've got the Football League Playoffs (L2 is on the May 16th, the other two divisions the following weekend)

This feels like a good move. Hope it pays off.

Network Rail will be narked at having to dig up both the East and West Coast Mainlines a month earlier than usual.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived