league one

Given that the Rfl have said the league structure is to remain the same next season , leaving 11 teams in league one . I was thinking should we not invite another French team to join league one to at least give the league 12 teams . With Catalan and Toulouse now both established in there leagues is it now not time to invite a third French team into our leagues ?     

Chief Crazy Eagle

1. Do any French teams want to join League One?

2. If so, do they have the finances to support ten trips to the UK?

3. Do the UK sides have the finance to support a trip to France? 

4. What happens if in 2021 Ottawa are admitted and we end up with another lopsided league? 

————————

That’s just four questions I can think of, off the top of my head around this idea. 

11 teams is just not enough so a new club this year would have been great.

It's been such a stop start season for players and fans. 

Just a thought.

If the League is to have 11 or 12 teams giving a season that is at least 7-9 weeks shorter than SL surely League 1 can start a couple of months later.

This would give a better structure and momentum to the season and have less chance of postponed games.  Also playing more games across the summer period might increase the attendances.

Not that I expect them to come back any time soon but isn't the absence of Hemel Stags only temporary? I assume that there is no word from them about returning? 

Bought by Ottowa / Perez according to reports.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article-hemel-stags-move-to-ottawa-approved-by-governing-body-of-english/

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Oh my word, not ANOTHER 'let's stick a pin in a map' thread? 

You need to believe a bit harder.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Why is a 20 game season not enough? Once you add the CC and 1895 cups and potentially Yorkshire cup, that should be fine. In fact for development clubs it's probably more than enough and means they don't have to start in the depths of winter. 

There’s no guarantee of home games in any of the three competitions you mention, so income is limited and clubs can only plan around the guaranteed income of 10 home games, which is very few. 

A 24 team 1895 Cup with 8x3’s as a group stage with four group games (two home, two away) would go some way to remedying a lack of guaranteed home games. 

9 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Why is a 20 game season not enough? Once you add the CC and 1895 cups and potentially Yorkshire cup, that should be fine. In fact for development clubs it's probably more than enough and means they don't have to start in the depths of winter. 

Well who knows what weather patterns we'll have in future seasons but we've started at Cov in both blizzards and heatwaves.

Coventry Bears haven't bothered with the 1895 due to the midweek fixture problem and have yet to be invited to either the Yorkshire or Lancashire Cup compos due narrow regionalist prejudices.

We have had a couple of Challenge Cup runs which have been bonuses though.

So the problem comes down to the limited revenue from just 10 home games and the difficulty of selling season tickets for that length of programme. 

I've got a crush on Canada after Bears played at the Lamport so I've already got my plans for a trip to Ottawa and I'd like to ask for Winnipeg next (Let's go Goldeyes!) but New York will do.

Manchester Rangers would have been a perfect addition to League 1. Scotland yeah great but the travel (by bus) would be daunting. A team in the Hemel hole between Coventry and London would be excellent as would a team in the Bristol/Gloucester (between Cov and Wales) area for expansion reasons. 

I've got a Pyongyang Pylons tee shirt so won't bother with that thread...

Why can't we have a League 1 cup?

Of course we were led to believe we would have one this year, to make up for losing two clubs to give the championship more fixtures, plus the departure of Hemel Stags. The final of that cup is being played tomorrow, between two championship teams.

Just give us a cup for League 1 with the final at the big bash, and leave the 1895 cup just for the Championship clubs.

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

Archived