league one

33 minutes ago, fearnowt said:

Why can't we have a League 1 cup?

Of course we were led to believe we would have one this year, to make up for losing two clubs to give the championship more fixtures, plus the departure of Hemel Stags. The final of that cup is being played tomorrow, between two championship teams.

Just give us a cup for League 1 with the final at the big bash, and leave the 1895 cup just for the Championship clubs.

That’s not a bad an awful idea. How it would be funded and the structure would be interesting. 

19 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Just a thought.

If the League is to have 11 or 12 teams giving a season that is at least 7-9 weeks shorter than SL surely League 1 can start a couple of months later.

This would give a better structure and momentum to the season and have less chance of postponed games.  Also playing more games across the summer period might increase the attendances.

Yes exactly, let's hope next year's fixtures are better. Though I think Hemel pulling out fairly late was a factor this year. Sorting out the 1895 cup as well to add some extra fixtures might work too. 

Just now, OriginalMrC said:

Yes exactly, let's hope next year's fixtures are better. Though I think Hemel pulling out fairly late was a factor this year. Sorting out the 1895 cup as well to add some extra fixtures might work too. 

I think a better executed 1895 Cup should be the aim. 

This year, there’s 23 of the 25 non-SL sides that are Super League based, so you could have invited an additional side (say Hunslet Club Parkside as NCL champions) and have 8x3’s as a group stage of 4 games with each group winner progressing. 

1 hour ago, fearnowt said:

Why can't we have a League 1 cup?

Of course we were led to believe we would have one this year, to make up for losing two clubs to give the championship more fixtures, plus the departure of Hemel Stags. The final of that cup is being played tomorrow, between two championship teams.

Just give us a cup for League 1 with the final at the big bash, and leave the 1895 cup just for the Championship clubs.

There was a league one Cup previously, not sure why it was scrapped. Maybe play the league one Cup at the start of the season and the finalists qualify for 1895 Cup? 

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I think a better executed 1895 Cup should be the aim. 

This year, there’s 23 of the 25 non-SL sides that are Super League based, so you could have invited an additional side (say Hunslet Club Parkside as NCL champions) and have 8x3’s as a group stage of 4 games with each group winner progressing. 

Yes that would be a good solution. Some sort of round robin would mean teams are guaranteed games and the revenue that comes with it. Champ clubs might not be too keen though and it would need extra funding 

3 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Yes that would be a good solution. Some sort of round robin would mean teams are guaranteed games and the revenue that comes with it. Champ clubs might not be too keen though and it would need extra funding 

Plenty played in the “Not Quite the Yorkshire Cup” last winter and if groups are regionalised, I don’t see why this would be any less supported. 

On 22/08/2019 at 19:12, superten said:

Given that the Rfl have said the league structure is to remain the same next season , leaving 11 teams in league one . I was thinking should we not invite another French team to join league one to at least give the league 12 teams . With Catalan and Toulouse now both established in there leagues is it now not time to invite a third French team into our leagues ?     

Why, Is this not expansion for expansion sake?. What French team wants to come to league 1?, isn't there a team from Canada and a team from America coming?, also wouldn't this make it harder for traditional teams to get premoted?.

Archived