Irlam Hornets - Jim Dargan

Hi all,

I'm after some information/photos etc of the Irlam Hornets from the 70's and 80's, in particular Jimmy Dargan. He played for them in the early years and rugby stayed with him for years. 

He was my father in-law and sadly passed away almost 3 years ago. 

I'd love it if someone could point me in the right direction to getting hold of some of the history he was involved in, photos, articles etc. 

My son has started playing rugby so was hoping I could pass on some of his grandads legacy.

I've recently seen some enamel pin badges, do you know when these were made? They look old. 

Any info at all would be great. 

My email address is oggie1@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance

Paul Ogden

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy D was a rough & ready type of hooker, but a gentleman as well. I Played for Hornets 1980-1987, and remember him well, him and Dave Snell looked after me very well in the early days (1980 I was only just 18) I have a programme from about 1984, with a team photo on the back, I will try and scan it, and send it to you.

Hornets had a great team spirit, and it didn't matter whether you played for the 1st or 2nd team, as we all got on really well.

I was very sad to hear of his death, but then he was mid-30's even then, I suppose a lot of the 1st team are approaching that point now, I was the baby of the team at 18, I'm 57 now, until we formed a U-17 team based in Ordsall, many of which graduated to Open-Age quickly, with one guy Burgess going on to sign for Salford.

Hi 

Thanks so much for the reply, it's great to read your words about him. 

I think you have his age wrong, he was only 62 when he passed away. He had aggressive pancreatic cancer, he only suffered for 3 weeks, so a very quick illness. 

The program would be brilliant, thank you. 

48670763068_db575251f3_k.jpgIrlam Hornets 1984 by David  Hesketh, on Flickr

The back of the 1984-5 season programme:

Back Row: Sammy Collinge (who was one of the founders of IHARLFC), George Connor, Alan Marsh, Gary Mockeridge, Mark McElroy (AKA Jinxy), Chris Potts, Peter Massey, Mike Bradshaw, John Paul, Tony Fearnley, John Blackburn, John Bethell, Phil Bethell.

Front row: Andy Hesketh, Graham Sargent*, Jimmy Dargan*, Dave Snell*, Paul Hill, Martin Curran*, Dave Potts (ex-Swinton & Huddersfield), Mike Cheetham*, David Hesketh.

*= Irlam based

I was Irlam Hornets PRO between 1990-94 Paul. Jimmy wasn't there in my time but I spent hours in libraries researching a statistical history of the club and all the players. When I left the club I handed all the info over to Phil Bethel. Unfortunately I no longer have a contact number for him. I still see the Connor family. I can make enquiries. i have 294 Irlam Hornets programmes from 1981 to 1999 but I collect programmes. I will look for any info when I find time.

On 09/09/2019 at 20:09, Celtic Roosters said:

I was Irlam Hornets PRO between 1990-94 Paul. Jimmy wasn't there in my time but I spent hours in libraries researching a statistical history of the club and all the players. When I left the club I handed all the info over to Phil Bethel. Unfortunately I no longer have a contact number for him. I still see the Connor family. I can make enquiries. i have 294 Irlam Hornets programmes from 1981 to 1999 but I collect programmes. I will look for any info when I find time.

Hi Celtic Rooster

Thank you for the reply, any info would be great, 

Thanks in advance

Regards

Paul

Archived