Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stockyarder

USARL Midwest Update

Recommended Posts

"That being said, the opportunity exists for the game here in Chicago. The Stockyarders have developed some really great partnerships over the years with the likes of local rugby union and the Chicago Park District, so we are still in a great position and we just need to re-adjust and take full advantage of this.

An opportunity for what? For union players to keep fit during the 15s off season who don't like the constant running of 7s. The game won't be taken seriously there until we take union head on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stockyarder said:

If we take union head on in Chicago, the Stockyarders will cease to exist. Fortunately for us there is no Rugby code war here and we don't want one. 

You already compete against 7s why not the 15 man game ? A code war is inevitable whether you like it or not. For rugby league to truly flourish in North America we must put union to the sword. Quick question what is the vision the stockyards have for rugby league in the USA. Do you want to remain a union fitness programme for players who hate the running of 7s forever?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Themusician_2 said:

You already compete against 7s why not the 15 man game ? A code war is inevitable whether you like it or not. For rugby league to truly flourish in North America we must put union to the sword. Quick question what is the vision the stockyards have for rugby league in the USA. Do you want to remain a union fitness programme for players who hate the running of 7s forever?

For Greece to really flourish they need to put the EU to the sword. A code war would severely set back NARL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chamey said:

For Greece to really flourish they need to put the EU to the sword. A code war would severely set back NARL.

Greece just needs to sort out that crazy guy who misses being in power. NO it won't it's about time RL MUST BE TAKEN MORE SERIOUSLY AND PUT OF EQUAL IF NOT MORE IMPORTANCE THE UNION. Move the usarl season to the winter-spring and have 9s in summer so the code can be taken seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Greece just needs to sort out that crazy guy who misses being in power. NO it won't it's about time RL MUST BE TAKEN MORE SERIOUSLY AND PUT OF EQUAL IF NOT MORE IMPORTANCE THE UNION. Move the usarl season to the winter-spring and have 9s in summer so the code can be taken seriously.

Where's the leverage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Our code will be stronger in the long run

Huh? If you tell the Stockyarders that they have to choose between Union or League I suspect that Stockyarders would not be a thing for much longer. I fail to see how that makes the game stronger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chamey said:

Huh? If you tell the Stockyarders that they have to choose between Union or League I suspect that Stockyarders would not be a thing for much longer. I fail to see how that makes the game stronger.

You'd suspect right. We'd lose every single player overnight.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chamey said:

Huh? If you tell the Stockyarders that they have to choose between Union or League I suspect that Stockyarders would not be a thing for much longer. I fail to see how that makes the game stronger.

Because we need to start creating rugby league players and a proper rugby league culture. Those who choose league over union are true RL people not a bunch of fakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stockyarder said:

You'd suspect right. We'd lose every single player overnight.

Why didn't you answer my question? What's the vision that you have for RL in the Midwest and North America? You already compete with 7s why not the 15 man game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Why didn't you answer my question? What's the vision that you have for RL in the Midwest and North America? You already compete with 7s why not the 15 man game?

For Pete's sake get off the guys back. What have you done for the game?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

Why didn't you answer my question? What's the vision that you have for RL in the Midwest and North America? You already compete with 7s why not the 15 man game?

Apologies for the delayed reply, I haven't had time over the past few days to answer your question fully.

Our vision for the Midwest revolves around creating a MW conference to join the USARL and feed into it's national playoff system. However, for that to happen we need three other interested owner / operators / volunteers to start new teams (preferably within the Chicagoland area) that can compete locally against the Stockyarders in a regular season. Until then, we will continue to play exhibition games each summer. It's not possible for us to go straight into the USARL as it stands without major investment due to the distances involved. Over time we would love to grow junior programs and develop our own players as a long term project but again it's trying to find volunteers with the time to lead those programs. We've actually fielded interest from junior union teams looking to play league in the summer here in Illinois so that is one avenue that we'd like to explore. We'd also like to be involved with the upcoming US women's RL project and we have made some preliminary steps to start the ball rolling with this. Again, this revolves around links that we have with a local women's union team otherwise we wouldn't know where to start.

In terms of a national vision, we'd hope that the USARL clubs continue to grow stronger and that we are a part of it's expansion. Without a major investor though it will continue to rely on volunteers. It would be great to see more small conferences develop around the nation that can come together in a national playoff at the end of the season.

Most guys in the US come to league after first experiencing 15s union in college or high school then accidentally discovering league (typically NRL) off the back of this and liking the look of it. They typically enjoy it if they have an opportunity to try it and many prefer it to 7s RU. Many end up liking both codes - no big deal for them. Many (if not all) aspire to play for the USA Hawks and would love to play in a RLWC for the US, but union 15s is still usually their first love. If we moved seasons to compete against 15s RU, we'd be down to a player pool of 0 and we would have to start over again trying to recruit guys with no previous interest in Rugby. We actually tried this before between 2006 and 2010 - it didn't work for us. If we did it again, it would set our sport back and take us a long time to recover. 

We just want Rugby league to continue and to grow in Chicago and it can in it's current format. The more individuals playing our sport, the better, right? Some of those individuals may even like our sport enough to start a junior program at his / her respective club or park district or even invest in our sport on some level.

Hope this information helps? We are always amazed at the interest overseas RL fans have in the sport at our level here in America. Long may it continue!

 
 
 
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stockyarder said:

Apologies for the delayed reply, I haven't had time over the past few days to answer your question fully.

Our vision for the Midwest revolves around creating a MW conference to join the USARL and feed into it's national playoff system. However, for that to happen we need three other interested owner / operators / volunteers to start new teams (preferably within the Chicagoland area) that can compete locally against the Stockyarders in a regular season. Until then, we will continue to play exhibition games each summer. It's not possible for us to go straight into the USARL as it stands without major investment due to the distances involved. Over time we would love to grow junior programs and develop our own players as a long term project but again it's trying to find volunteers with the time to lead those programs. We've actually fielded interest from junior union teams looking to play league in the summer here in Illinois so that is one avenue that we'd like to explore. We'd also like to be involved with the upcoming US women's RL project and we have made some preliminary steps to start the ball rolling with this. Again, this revolves around links that we have with a local women's union team otherwise we wouldn't know where to start.

In terms of a national vision, we'd hope that the USARL clubs continue to grow stronger and that we are a part of it's expansion. Without a major investor though it will continue to rely on volunteers. It would be great to see more small conferences develop around the nation that can come together in a national playoff at the end of the season.

Most guys in the US come to league after first experiencing 15s union in college or high school then accidentally discovering league (typically NRL) off the back of this and liking the look of it. They typically enjoy it if they have an opportunity to try it and many prefer it to 7s RU. Many end up liking both codes - no big deal for them. Many (if not all) aspire to play for the USA Hawks and would love to play in a RLWC for the US, but union 15s is still usually their first love. If we moved seasons to compete against 15s RU, we'd be down to a player pool of 0 and we would have to start over again trying to recruit guys with no previous interest in Rugby. We actually tried this before between 2006 and 2010 - it didn't work for us. If we did it again, it would set our sport back and take us a long time to recover. 

We just want Rugby league to continue and to grow in Chicago and it can in it's current format. The more individuals playing our sport, the better, right? Some of those individuals may even like our sport enough to start a junior program at his / her respective club or park district or even invest in our sport on some level.

Hope this information helps? We are always amazed at the interest overseas RL fans have in the sport at our level here in America. Long may it continue!

 
 
 

Thanks, much appreciated. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...