Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scotchy1

How to get the game talked about more

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

People got very excited about winning the cricket WC and that’s even more of a ‘British Empire game’ than RL.

Not really , 7 winners , this years favourites didn't make the final , the country that's won the most didn't make the final 

Yes it's British Empire , but it's still a proper competition from the start 

• Like 1

One big issue is that there’s no bonafide stars in the SL. The moment someone becomes good they hop over to the NRL or Sale. Stars are a massive driving force of promoting sports, and no SL star stays around for long. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chamey said:

One big issue is that there’s no bonafide stars in the SL. The moment someone becomes good they hop over to the NRL or Sale. Stars are a massive driving force of promoting sports, and no SL star stays around for long. 

This is probably true but we create stars by getting people talking about them

3 minutes ago, Chamey said:

International stars are a massive force , they are the ones everybody remembers , even those who aren't familiar with the sport 

The other night watching a Q of S , Matt Dawson asked which WC was the oldest , Cricket , netball or RL ? , You would have thought a ' Rugby ' player would have been aware of a ' Rugby ' WC ? , He wasn't , he got it wrong 

Don't really like saying this but is RL played too " cleanly" for the public to get involved emotionally, too Corinthian. Players showing respect to refs, playing in the spirit of the game. They're no VILLAINS.

Football divers , biters!, cheaters, coaches screaming at the ref, people love it, CONTROVERSY SELLS!!

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Don't really like saying this but is RL played too " cleanly" for the public to get involved emotionally, too Corinthian. Players showing respect to refs, playing in the spirit of the game. They're no VILLAINS.

Football divers , biters!, cheaters, coaches screaming at the ref, people love it, CONTROVERSY SELLS!!

Greg Bird

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

By the time rugby league got into its stride, in the late 1890s, English football already had something rugby league has never had - an elite, nationwide (the key word), professional competition, albeit then only two divisions in size. The fact Manningham switched to football so soon after winning rugby league's inaugural championship is pretty damning. They weren't the only ones. My feeling is rugby league hasn't, doesn't and probably won't ever attract enough mover-and-shaker types with influence and connections in high places. During my time living in several places outside rugby league's heartlands, I found it a bit depressing how much the sport wasn't merely ignored - most people barely knew it even existed.

Being ignored would worse. At least we have the potential to be “found”

I agree with everything in the initial post Scotchy except the lying.....

We should have a Combine and Draft or something very similar which creates interest off the field. 

3 hours ago, HawkMan said:

I don't believe lying about transfers and bigging them up is the way to go, it's just plain deceitful. When the truth outs which it will eventually the good name of RL would suffer.

We should ask why the game isn't bigger. WHY?? It's had over a hundred years to grow. Eddie Hemmings once said SL can hope to have a Cumbrian team in it in a few years, wow! First Cumbria then the world, maybe even Northumberland too!

There has to be a reason for the non growth of the game. Maybe absolute ineptitude from the administrators? No, not for a hundred years, ineptitude isn't hereditary. A conspiracy by the media to ignore the game, resist it's lure and badmouth it ? No, again not for one hundred years. So what then? What has been consistently present during RL's existence that could effect development , yep Union!

Not that I blame them one iota, they look after their game, and spread it, but RL has to break into that market. Increasing fans means taking them away from elsewhere, not soccer, rugby and footy fans enjoy two very different games, most of the fans who get their kicks out of biff baff beefcake sports are into Union. For RL to grow THAT MUST CHANGE, that's the market to attack. How ? Cleverer people than me get paid to come up with the answer there.

I wonder though back in the 1910's or 20's or whenever other sports, notably football spread, and good luck to football, the custodians got off their collective backsides and put the work in, what was RL doing ? Other sports spread, Union, Field Hockey, Cricket, what stopped our custodians? Perhaps they were too busy having internecine squabbles with Union to bother.

The other sports spread through the Empire because middle class military officers and civil servants exported them, the only place League spread was where the working class people of Northern England went in large numbers between 1895 and the outbreak of WW2. NSW, Queensland, and North Island of NZ. Even the enlisted military from Northern Regiments would have played what the officers organised for them I.e Union and Cricket whilst overseas.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not really , 7 winners , this years favourites didn't make the final , the country that's won the most didn't make the final 

Yes it's British Empire , but it's still a proper competition from the start 

Don’t think that matters.

The Rugby Yawnion World Cup hasn’t been won by many more countries (one?) than our WC yet the media will still w@nk itself silly over Japan even though the world number one nation is a tiny conquered principality of 3m (and only really half a tiny conquered principality as North Wales is football territory) and the number two yawnion nation and historically dominant power, New Zealand, has 5m people (with more sheep). 

If England wins the WC, attitudes will begin to change. 

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Don’t think that matters.

The Rugby Yawnion World Cup hasn’t been won by many more countries (one?) than our WC yet the media will still w@nk itself silly over Japan even though the world number one nation is a tiny conquered principality of 3m (and only really half a tiny conquered principality as North Wales is football territory) and the number two yawnion nation and historically dominant power, New Zealand, has 5m people (with more sheep). 

If England wins the WC, attitudes will begin to change. 

Who will win the RU WC ? 

Who will win the RL WC ?

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Who will win the RU WC ? 

Who will win the RL WC ?

I don't think how many teams could win it matters, football has had only eight winners , but others could seriously attempt to win it, Netherlands, Croatia, Belgium etc. The key is how competitive is it, I won't be watching the yawnion from Japan, except possibly England, but there's at least six who could win it.

As someone said previously we need more serious international contenders in RL, that could spark an interest. To answer your question, RU WC winners hmmm South Africa, RL WC winners erm let's see Doh Australia.

Edited by HawkMan

Having multiple international windows every year is they key. I have to wait patiently for months and months to get a bit of international league so I can actually have a game to be interested in. 

Edited by Keith989

2 hours ago, Chamey said:

What’s “a bonafide star of SL”? For me, Alex Walmsley has come back from a broken neck and retained his position as one of the best in the competition this year, Luke Thompson is immense, Lachlan Coote has been a revelation and Jonny Lomax is the best player at present in the competition. That’s just from my own team. I’m not blind and can accept others in Super League are too. 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

New Zealand.

England.

What makes NZ such a guarantee? They have only won one world cup outside of Eden park.

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

What’s “a bonafide star of SL”? For me, Alex Walmsley has come back from a broken neck and retained his position as one of the best in the competition this year, Luke Thompson is immense, Lachlan Coote has been a revelation and Jonny Lomax is the best player at present in the competition. That’s just from my own team. I’m not blind and can accept others in Super League are too. 

I'd go for 'someone a general UK-based sports fan has heard of'.

So Burgesses, Sonny Bill, Makinson had there been more England games.

There are undoubtedly some excellent footballers for England right now, but none have broken through, and hence can't be reasonably described as a sports star for me.

17 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

What makes NZ such a guarantee? They have only won one world cup outside of Eden park.

That’s one more than every other nation on Earth bar England, Australia and South Africa...

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

That’s one more than every other nation on Earth bar England, Australia and South Africa...

So there is a good chance that any one of those four could win... 

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Our lack of meaningful , competitive International opponents is RL s biggest failing , only by solving that will we ever start to see media and population interest grow 

This is pretty much it. Cricket is the perfect example of this, a very popular sport at international level playing in full stadiums and being the top sports stories on the days of games and yet the domestic game is dying on its ######. I suppose union is similar at least from what I see. I don't read sports news religiously so dipping in and out as I do i don't notice masses about the domestic game, most stuff I see about union is about internationals, even if a player is mentioned getting injured in a club game the article will mostly be about how it will affect the national team. A strong international game is where the exposure is. 

2 key parts for me are getting people hooked when they are young and fan engagement. I know someone who has just returned from a holiday in Australia, she took in a few NRL games. 

One was at Brisbane - they had 2 fan zones (note: a fan zone is not selling warm cans of Carlsberg for £4 from a portakabin with a few wooden benches scattered around). There were life size cardboard cutouts of the players for kids to compare their heights. Also remember those silly wooden boards where you could stick your head through at the seaside, they had those so kids (and adults) could be their favourite player and get a photo taken.

Inside the ground itself there was a mascot riding a horse (Brisbane), fireworks, a band playing (not some local singer who got to the last 5000 on X-Factor). 

During the week open training sessions, meet and greets at the end.

We are so far behind with fan engagement its unbelievable. Right now most clubs idea of marketing is offering cheap/free tickets or a few tweets.

I completely get I’m not comparing like to like, NRL is a far bigger league with bigger budgets but these things can’t be that expensive. Bradford got close back in the late 90s. I remember Cas in 1999 with mascots coming out on little motorbikes, skydivers bringing the ball down. It felt like an event and a great buildup. Now the idea of an event is adding more cheerleaders, louder music or if it’s a final at Wembley those young kids who sing pop songs in a choir style. Cute the first time round, really boring and predictable now. 

I see questions on Facebook/twitter directed to clubs unanswered. If a club isn’t going to reply to something simple like ‘when are home shirts available?’ then don’t be surprised if that fan - existing or potential new fan - loses interest. There’s some grounds where it’s really difficult to know which turnstile you’re allowed to go through because the signs above the turnstile are confusing.....one ground I went to said ‘TICKETS ONLY, Adults £18’ above it....I mean what the hell does that mean?! Is it ticket only (so why list adult cash price) or can adults pay £18 to get in at that turnstile in which case it’s not ticket only. Customer databases not kept up to date. Not a single SL club, as far as I’m aware, are countering SKY moving games all the time by offering flexible season tickets (eg can be used by 2 people so if 1 is busy the other can use it. Or it gets you into X amount of games a year). 

I don’t consider myself intelligent, I’ve no experience in marketing or running a club apart from a week on work experience at Cas Tigers when I was younger but I do know what most clubs are doing to promote the sport isn’t anywhere near enough.

• Like 1

Cricket had a reasonably competitive WC with only ten teams, could we learn from that. Six teams, top four in ranking, plus two qualifiers. One group of six, five games each, top three qualify for semis. Yes top three, a bit different, 1st v 2nd in qualifying semi, winner into final, loser versus 3rd place in elimination semi, then final. That's an 18 game tournament, pretty important and hopefully close games all through.

Edited by HawkMan

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

New Zealand.

England.

Seriously ? , The all blacks aren't very good ATM, so it could be 4/5 others easily 

No it will be Australia , again 

And there endeth the lesson 

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Seriously ? , The all blacks aren't very good ATM, so it could be 4/5 others easily  

History suggests otherwise and there endeth my lesson

11 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Except it wont. 

Most people dont know the game, cant access the game, arent exposed to the game, and dont really understand the achievement.

Winning the world.cup would be great but it isnt a silver bullet. In and of itself it wont change an awful lot. 

Not a silver bullet no but winning would be a huge shot in the arm with - you would hope - a ripple effect on playing numbers, profile, sponsorship etc.

Rugby league in this country needs a ‘great moment’ live on national TV for the public consciousness. A successful great moment, not some poor chap failing to nudge a conversion from bang in front.

I was thinking about this the other day. I don’t think we have one. Winning the next WC could be that.