Wakefield plan a new stand.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/08/2019 at 18:56, The Future is League said:

How long have we been waiting for all these upgrades to their ground.

They have been saying things like this for over 20 years and they was only allowed into Super League on the condition that they would upgrade their ground or move to a new one, and still we wait

To be fair they put a roof on one stand

3 hours ago, Kenk said:

Some people make me laugh.Leeds have spent 45 mllion on a new stadium and the away fans still get p::s wet through when it rains!

Home fans as well mate. Anyway we've had this debate many times it's due to planning permission.

18 hours ago, Kenk said:

Some people make me laugh.Leeds have spent 45 mllion on a new stadium and the away fans still get p::s wet through when it rains!

They've  built the Carnegie stand £7000000 and that was quite a few years ago and when they eventually got the finances together they built the Southstand and North stand £ 45000000 . That is £52000000 .no mean fete for a RL not selling its ground to finance a new stadium costing £ 15000000 . I'm sure the best run club in the league will find a way to redevelop the Western terrace and then the stadium will be finished . Well done Leeds 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

They've  built the Carnegie stand £7000000 and that was quite a few years ago and when they eventually got the finances together they built the Southstand and North stand £ 45000000 . That is £52000000 .no mean fete for a RL not selling its ground to finance a new stadium costing £ 15000000 . I'm sure the best run club in the league will find a way to redevelop the Western terrace and then the stadium will be finished . Well done Leeds 

Headingley is,almost literally, a bit of a gold plated option though, and a chunk of the most recent spend was for the cricket side of the north stand. On the other hand all the construction and project management was done at a favourable rate by Caddick.

Still I imagine it would cost Wakey the best part of say £6m to £8m to produce something significant to replace the existing stand. Not easy money to come by when I sense they are a bit hand to mouth. 

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

Headingley is,almost literally, a bit of a gold plated option though, and a chunk of the most recent spend was for the cricket side of the north stand. On the other hand all the construction and project management was done at a favourable rate by Caddick.

Still I imagine it would cost Wakey the best part of say £6m to £8m to produce something significant to replace the existing stand. Not easy money to come by when I sense they are a bit hand to mouth. 

I like the idea of a "favourable rate". Most RL fans, me included, have no idea how trading between companies that might share the same or similar ownership can be used, quite legitimately, to gain considerable benefits withing the company tax systems. I would guess that some very clever, and perfectly legal, accounting was involved in all of this development.

No altruism though, of that I am certain.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

18 hours ago, Loiner said:

Home fans as well mate. Anyway we've had this debate many times it's due to planning permission.

Yes,nothing to do with the Rhinos,totally down to Rights of Light.

Yes,I know,half wits with no knowledge or information,will come up with their simple solution.Maybe they should become Planning Consultants.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I like the idea of a "favourable rate". Most RL fans, me included, have no idea how trading between companies that might share the same or similar ownership can be used, quite legitimately, to gain considerable benefits withing the company tax systems. I would guess that some very clever, and perfectly legal, accounting was involved in all of this development.

No altruism though, of that I am certain.

This is getting o/t but "favourable rate" isn't "loss-making". Both Caddick and Leeds RL make profits (as will the new stand owning company) so there isn't too much margin in the transfer pricing for tax benefit in any event. Plus Yorkshire are involved as a third party with their own governance.

But it was always expected that Caddick would produce the most effective and competitive build, as they did.

What a shock - fans of clubs in shiny new stadium belittling Wakey, who are having to go it alone.

Good luck to.Wakey 

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

1 hour ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

What a shock - fans of clubs in shiny new stadium belittling Wakey, who are having to go it alone.

Good luck to.Wakey 

Go it alone with the assistance of a council loan, don't you mean?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

45 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Good luck to.Wakey 

Go it alone? They've already received massive help from WMDC who've loaned them a large amount of money, which I doubt any commercial lender would have provided at any interest rate, and certainly not at the stupidly low rate they've got.

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Go it alone? They've already received massive help from WMDC who've loaned them a large amount of money, which I doubt any commercial lender would have provided at any interest rate, and certainly not at the stupidly low rate they've got.

York Court received massive help from WMDC making millions without having to build the community stadium as promised.    With the interest on the loan and the rates on Newmarket that only got planning due to a community stadium the council seem to have done well out it.

Up the Trin 

10 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Doesn't matter how much you spend on it, Headingly still looks like dog ###### and you still haven't done anything for away supporters.

With regards to Wakey, well I feel for their fans, screwed by the council (well, one person who broke the law) with promises of funding and then totally getting shafted. They simply don't have the fan base currently nor enough funds to do anything but bit by bit.

8 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Doesn't matter how much you spend on it, Headingly still looks like dog ###### and you still haven't done anything for away supporters.

With regards to Wakey, well I feel for their fans, screwed by the council (well, one person who broke the law) with promises of funding and then totally getting shafted. They simply don't have the fan base currently nor enough funds to do anything but bit by bit.

That's very unfair Like I said Leeds have spent many years upgrading their stadium  and what they've done it was done independently with a lot of help from LCC because the council know what it means to the image of the city . It's still unfinished e eventually they will finish off the project with the completion of the western terrace . Leeds have actually achieved this anx I stead of saying " well done" its " WHAT ABOUT THE AWAY END"  . I'm not criticizing Wakefield or Castleford or any other club , but your remarks about the Headingley redevelopment says it all about you and your jealousy of this club and of course the city 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

That's very unfair Like I said Leeds have spent many years upgrading their stadium  and what they've done it was done independently with a lot of help from LCC because the council know what it means to the image of the city . It's still unfinished e eventually they will finish off the project with the completion of the western terrace . Leeds have actually achieved this anx I stead of saying " well done" its " WHAT ABOUT THE AWAY END"  . I'm not criticizing Wakefield or Castleford or any other club , but your remarks about the Headingley redevelopment says it all about you and your jealousy of this club and of course the city 

The western terrace isn't getting developed. There just isn't the return to justify the costs involved. 

There really isn't that much pent-up demand from out-of-town fans who refuse to go to Headingley because they're worried about getting wet whilst watching a summer sport. There will no doubt be some, but nowhere near enough to justify the costs involved. 

The only way that it becomes viable is if demand for premium and corporate facilities grows beyond the current supply. 

The three stands that have been developed all had a strong business case behind them. The East stand was about creating university campus space that would ensure that the stand could be used (and making money) on non-matchdays. The South stand was redeveloped because it was barely getting a safety certificate and the North stand was developed to retain Test cricket status. There is no such business case for the Western terrace. 

Archived