Previous coaches list

Bearintown

In a moment of boredom I decided  to list the previous Town coaches in my time as a fan.

Not many on this list went out on a high!

So is it correct and all opinions welcome....

Ashton

Williams

Walsh

Sorensen

O Reilly

Tew

Platt

Murdock

Wood

McGinty

Penrice

Stokes

Barker/Ashe

Rotherham

Charlton / Oglanby

Charlton

Vievers

Clark

Pryce

Thorman

24 minutes ago, Bearintown said:

In a moment of boredom I decided  to list the previous Town coaches in my time as a fan.

Ashton

Williams

Walsh

Sorensen

O Reilly

Tew

Platt

Murdock

Wood

McGinty

Penrice

Stokes

Barker/Ashe

Rotherham

Charlton / Oglanby

Charlton

Vievers

Clark

Pryce

Thorman

Was McGinty not a bit further up the list?

2 hours ago, Bearintown said:

Ashton

Williams

Walsh

Sorensen

O Reilly

Tew

Platt

Murdock

Wood

McGinty

Penrice

Stokes

Barker/Ashe

Rotherham

Charlton / Oglanby

Charlton

Vievers

Clark

Pryce

Thorman

None went out on an high and none went on to set the world on fire either..

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

I loved the Peter Walsh era as much as anyone , but don`t forget he went back to Aussie still under contract , got a coaching job out there , told the Club just a few weeks before the season started he wasn`t coming back , we then made Phil McKenzie and Billy McGinty joint coaches , we hadn`t been able to sign players due to not knowing what Peter Wlash was going to do , and after a few defeats appointed Kurt Sorensen as Coach......the rest is history .

Didn’t Walsh come back and go be Hulls assistant coach

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

On 23/08/2019 at 21:05, Bearintown said:

Thinking about it Penrice took over from Wood? So when was Billy?

I remember when Paul Penrice inherited the poisoned chalice. There were 7 bodies training and he did his best coaching just as he always did when he wore the shirt. ITV aired a programme which I think was called "Rugby League Raw" following the fortunes of teams outside the Super League elite. Town were featured in a fixture away to Dewsbury and had ground out a healthy half-time lead. The fly-on-the-wall cameras went into the Town dressing room at the break and I still smile at Paul's team-talk   " I know we're on top but divn't git a hard-on ,we still have it all to do!" Never minced his words.............

1 hour ago, Seaton Sandy said:

I remember when Paul Penrice inherited the poisoned chalice. There were 7 bodies training and he did his best coaching just as he always did when he wore the shirt. ITV aired a programme which I think was called "Rugby League Raw" following the fortunes of teams outside the Super League elite. Town were featured in a fixture away to Dewsbury and had ground out a healthy half-time lead. The fly-on-the-wall cameras went into the Town dressing room at the break and I still smile at Paul's team-talk   " I know we're on top but divn't git a hard-on ,we still have it all to do!" Never minced his words.............

The same game Roy Sampson was trying to hunt down which of his own fans were heckling him ?

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

19 hours ago, Town utd said:

Hull's head coach,

And strangely while he was there they went bust as well .Merged with Gateshead played there for 12 months , then back to Hull as if nothing ever happened . (Same for Huddersfield at the time too , went bust shared with Sheffield ,then back to Huddersfield inside 12 months .

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

And strangely while he was there they went bust as well .Merged with Gateshead played there for 12 months , then back to Hull as if nothing ever happened . (Same for Huddersfield at the time too , went bust shared with Sheffield ,then back to Huddersfield inside 12 months .

Closer to home there was the strange and sudden "merger" of Carlisle Border Raiders and Barrow --almost overnight in fact........... Barrow adopted the Raiders tag and that was the end of Carlisle!  There is also the question of what's in a name?    The jam used to rejoice in the Warriors tag then Wigan took it. Now we have the West Wales whipping boys sharing the Raiders name..........?

I am grateful that Town rejected the fashion for adopting "updated" titles and stuck with the one we started with.

27 minutes ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Far from forgetting...I spent a lot of time resisting that move along with many others who treasured the Club's history.         Mercifully the traditionalists prevailed. 

Myself included, would have been disastrous if it had gone ahead

1 hour ago, Town Army said:

Bob Jamieson? Didn't think he was involved at the time? Was he ever directly involved in an official capacity?

I recall being at Deepdale for Lancashire Lynx v Town when Jamieson was telling all he had just bought Workington Town..he ended in tears during that...so strange...sort of bizarre..

Another downer that day was someone sat way behind me kept pelting my bald heed with sweets..buggas.....maybe it was Mr J ???

3 hours ago, gillmeister said:

Who was the driving force behind that fiasco again?

Regrettably at the time some friends of mine on the board were in favour of the name change. I had to oppose them and l recall a well-attended public meeting at a pub who's name escapes me where the likes of Margaret Mitchell and many others with long-standing connections to Town voiced their objections in robust terms. John Walsh was present in his journalistic capacity but I'm pretty sure what his personal opinion was!

15 minutes ago, Chrome Dome said:

I recall being at Deepdale for Lancashire Lynx v Town when Jamieson was telling all he had just bought Workington Town..he ended in tears during that...so strange...sort of bizarre..

Another downer that day was someone sat way behind me kept pelting my bald heed with sweets..buggas.....maybe it was Mr J ???

Yes I was at Deepdale that night and clearly remember Mr Jamieson holding audience in the car park and telling anybody , who would listen, that he had bought Workington Town.

1 minute ago, bobg said:

Yes I was at Deepdale that night and clearly remember Mr Jamieson holding audience in the car park and telling anybody , who would listen, that he had bought Workington Town.

Yes almost shouting it from the rooftops...there were a couple of Town directors at his shoulder too.

Archived