One set of rules for RL

There are many different leagues operating under different rule sets from punishments given out to number of officials on the pitch, Super League has different rules than the NRL, international rugby league has different rules and I believe State of Origin also has different rules.

Surely rugby would be better if we all operated under one system, but which?.

Agreed.

Then again I don’t think there’s much difference between NRL and SL right now due to this year’s changes by SL. Struggling to think of any.

As an aside, football seems to be going down a diverging path with the introduction of VAR and different comps having different interpretations of the new handball rule. Not sure why football has decided to self-harm in this way but that’s for another thread/topic.

2 hours ago, The Lad said:

There are many different leagues operating under different rule sets from punishments given out to number of officials on the pitch, Super League has different rules than the NRL, international rugby league has different rules and I believe State of Origin also has different rules.

Surely rugby would be better if we all operated under one system, but which?.

It's the same with basketball. NBA has different standards to FIBA. The NBA, like the NRL, is just too big to care about what an international federation wants to do. That's why the NRL will continue to change rules whenever it suits it without caring what anyone else thinks. 

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Agreed.

Then again I don’t think there’s much difference between NRL and SL right now due to this year’s changes by SL. Struggling to think of any.

As an aside, football seems to be going down a diverging path with the introduction of VAR and different comps having different interpretations of the new handball rule. Not sure why football has decided to self-harm in this way but that’s for another thread/topic.

That's incorrect. The laws are very clear. 

One referee's interpretation of intentional handball or making the body unnaturally bigger will be different to another's. That was the case before VAR, and I'm not sure VAR can change that apart from righting blatantly wrong decisions. But there's nothing in the laws themselves which allow referees to adjudicate differently.

As for the use of VAR, this was reported this week: 

Football's lawmaking body has urged the Premier League and other competitions to all follow the same rules on the involvement of video review (VAR) technology.

The move comes after concern that the Premier League and Bundesliga in particular were applying different interpretations over the use of VAR than the ones handed out by IFAB, FIFA's rule-making body.

"Each competition must respect the laws of the game and any of The IFAB’s published/communicated guidelines and/or clarifications," a spokesperson for IFAB told Reuters.

On Wednesday, IFAB issued a circular on the recent changes in laws, including the issue of the use of VAR in the taking of penalty kicks.

The Premier League and Bundesliga have opted to leave the decision over whether a goalkeeper had moved off the line to onfield officials with VAR only intervening if there is a clear mistake by the officials.

But IFAB have insisted that VAR "must check for any offence by the goalkeeper (and/or the kicker) and the VAR must inform the referee if there is clear replay evidence."

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/ifab-tell-premier-league-to-get-in-line-on-var-usage-11833878

Full article: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/ifab-tell-premier-league-to-get-in-line-on-var-usage-11833878

35 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

That's incorrect. The laws are very clear. 

One referee's interpretation of intentional handball or making the body unnaturally bigger will be different to another's. That was the case before VAR, and I'm not sure VAR can change that apart from righting blatantly wrong decisions. But there's nothing in the laws themselves which allow referees to adjudicate differently.

As for the use of VAR, this was reported this week: 

Full article: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/ifab-tell-premier-league-to-get-in-line-on-var-usage-11833878

I did state interpretation of the handball rule so my point stands.. 

Thanks for the link. I don’t recall this type of divergence where different comps have different rule interpretations - on an official basis - before in football.

22 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I did state interpretation of the handball rule so my point stands.. 

Thanks for the link. I don’t recall this type of divergence where different comps have different rule interpretations - on an official basis - before in football.

I'm not sure why you keep saying that. There is no different interpretation of rules. The rules are very clear, and every league is expected to follow them.

VAR has absolutely nothing to do with interpretation of the handball rule. It is down to the referee's discretion, which means that it's the same as it's always been. The only change to the handball rule is that a goal can't be scored if it touches an attacking player's arm. This bit is very black and white, and requires no interpretation. Otherwise, it's the same as it's always been, only that VAR can now alert the referee to handball's that he might not have spotted.

Regarding divergence, IFAB have stepped in to clamp down on the Premier League's non-use of VAR on keepers going off their line after just 2 matchdays. Whatever divergence has taken place in the first two weeks of the season is about to be stamped out it seems. Much ado about nothing.

18 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

I'm not sure why you keep saying that. There is no different interpretation of rules. The rules are very clear, and every league is expected to follow them.

VAR has absolutely nothing to do with interpretation of the handball rule. It is down to the referee's discretion, which means that it's the same as it's always been. The only change to the handball rule is that a goal can't be scored if it touches an attacking player's arm. This bit is very black and white, and requires no interpretation. Otherwise, it's the same as it's always been, only that VAR can now alert the referee to handball's that he might not have spotted.

Regarding divergence, IFAB have stepped in to clamp down on the Premier League's non-use of VAR on keepers going off their line after just 2 matchdays. Whatever divergence has taken place in the first two weeks of the season is about to be stamped out it seems. Much ado about nothing.

I’m sure I read an article recently where the EPL’s equivalent of Steve Ganson is quoted as saying their comp will interpret the handball rule differently. 

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I’m sure I read an article recently where the EPL’s equivalent of Steve Ganson is quoted as saying their comp will interpret the handball rule differently. 

Thats the issue imo.  Once the number of rules is left to 'interpretation' then the variance in decisons changes.  RU officials are in their element with this, but i agree with you, ours are not that far apart. 

Archived